Harriet's Journey BOM

Old 03-12-2021, 10:09 AM

Default Harriet's Journey BOM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I've still not settled on fabric. I pulled out my stripes and found some notes on another project to use them, and decided they would best staying where they are.

Though while digging around for fabric to cut for the Bday candy swap, I found a couple of larger yardages of some neutrals that I could use as the background. I've got a tote full of precuts that I'd like to use up on something - so maybe this would work.
Sounds good Cathy !
Old 03-12-2021, 11:24 AM

I've decided to use my FQ bundle of Key West by Di Ford for Harriet's Journey. These are very muted blue-greens with a touch of pink (the fabrics looked so much brighter and prettier on line then they do in reality; I sometimes wonder how much of my stash I would have, had I encountered the fabrics in person). It seems like this limited palette might be less intimidating to work with than a many-colored one for my first sampler. I happened upon a Barnes and Noble preview of the book, so I was able to see the fabric requirements, and pulled a bunch from my stash to go along with the FQs. I'm very excited about this project! I looked on line at samplers last night, to get an idea of what I like for setting, sashing, cornerstones, etc.
Old 03-12-2021, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I've decided to use my FQ bundle of Key West by Di Ford for Harriet's Journey. These are very muted blue-greens with a touch of pink (the fabrics looked so much brighter and prettier on line then they do in reality; I sometimes wonder how much of my stash I would have, had I encountered the fabrics in person). It seems like this limited palette might be less intimidating to work with than a many-colored one for my first sampler. I happened upon a Barnes and Noble preview of the book, so I was able to see the fabric requirements, and pulled a bunch from my stash to go along with the FQs. I'm very excited about this project! I looked on line at samplers last night, to get an idea of what I like for setting, sashing, cornerstones, etc.
I have just looked the Key West fabric up and it looks really nice, great colours ! I am also excited to start this journey with everyone as well !
Old 03-12-2021, 02:22 PM

Good day everyone. I received my book and scanned it to get a feel for the blocks. I want to make all the blocks, unsure on the finished size and layout at this time. Unsure of the fabric selection at this time. I will pick out fabrics over the weekend and make final decision earlier next week and start my 2 blocks. I figure I can make final decisions as I go along. I have an abundance of batiks so I lean towards scrappy batik version. Decisions, decisions. I’ll post pics when I decide.
Old 03-13-2021, 02:22 AM

Good morning everyone !! Today is a good day as we start our journey together to make Harriet's Journey Sampler Quilt.

Here are the first four weeks - with two blocks a week. I hope to have made the blocks as I post them and as we go along. Please ask if you need any help and let's have fun !

I have to admit I am not a lover of applique and curves and I will substitute a few of the blocks with some from The Loyal Union Sampler.

If you need to make more blocks or sub with other blocks - please do and if it is too many, don't worry if you need to have a break week !

Off we go.

Week One.

A1, Air Castle, page 14. ( As advised do watch the colour placement )

A5. Blackeye Beauty, page 17.

Week Two.

C3, Cross Plains, page 31. There is a printing error. Number 4 From light beige cut 4 rectangles 1 1/4" x 2" and it SHOULD be E ( not D )

C6, Dolley Madison's Star, page 34.

Week Three.

G4, Oregon Trail, page 57.

G8, Poinsettia, page 59.

Week Four.

I3, Sonoma Rose, page 70.

I 10. Summer Winds, page 76.

Here are photos of my blocks :-
Attached Thumbnails a1.jpg   a5.jpg   c3.jpg   c6.jpg   g8.jpg  

Old 03-13-2021, 02:28 AM

I could only post five of the blocks in one go - so here are the others.
Attached Thumbnails i3.jpg   i10.jpg  
Old 03-13-2021, 03:23 AM

Thanks for skipping that #2 block. It scared me something fierce. These look doable. Marcia
Old 03-13-2021, 03:53 AM

Thanks, Dotty! Love your blocks so far! So glad I've already made Air Castle as a test block. Can't wait to work on these. And thanks for pointing out an error in the book. I settled on a bundle of fat quarters called "Moody Blooms," which are so pretty I hate to cut into them. I'm using a white background but fear I'll run out so I'm glad we are hopping around the quilt. Will post photos when I get a few done.
Marianne
Old 03-13-2021, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
Thanks for skipping that #2 block. It scared me something fierce. These look doable. Marcia
Hi Marcia, which block frightens you ?? ha ha x
Old 03-13-2021, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mkotch View Post
Thanks, Dotty! Love your blocks so far! So glad I've already made Air Castle as a test block. Can't wait to work on these. And thanks for pointing out an error in the book. I settled on a bundle of fat quarters called "Moody Blooms," which are so pretty I hate to cut into them. I'm using a white background but fear I'll run out so I'm glad we are hopping around the quilt. Will post photos when I get a few done.
Marianne
Looking forward to seeing your blocks Marianne and thank you for your kind comment !