Harriet's Journey BOM

Old 02-19-2021, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Blueridgebeverly View Post
What I’m trying to decide is whether to buy enough beige for background or use various light prints for background. I have a bunch of light fabric in my stash. What do you guys think?
I usually go for variety, that way if I run out, I can easily substitute with new. But this time, I actually have a full bolt of solid, so I'll head that direction. Variety works for me as long as I use at least 5 fabrics.
Old 02-19-2021, 11:25 AM

I thought it might be quite nice to introduce ourselves as we start this journey together ! (Only if you want to of
course )
My name is Dot and I live about an hour south of London. I am in my 70's and my hubby and I have just celebrated our 50th Wedding Anniversary.
We have two daughters and between them have given us eight wonderful grandchildren - with another on on the way and due in August.
I trained as a nurse and worked for many years in NHS hospitals and Doctors surgeries, having a break before the girls were born working as a ground hostess for British Airways at Heathrow Airport and of course retired now.
I started making several cross stitch projects and then started doing Patchwork and Quilting 18 - 20 years ago. I run a Dear Jane group and go to 3 other groups - missing them all at the moment because of the pandemic.
So three weeks tomorrow to start our journey - can you wait that long -- ha ha ?
Hope those of that are experiencing such cold weather conditions are keeping safe and warm.
Old 02-19-2021, 01:26 PM

Nice to meet you DottyD! I'll introduce myself next. My name is Tish and I live in Gulf Breeze, FL between Pensacola and Pensacola Beach. I've been married 25 years and have one son attending college online. So I feel blessed that he is still at home but wish for him to have that college experience. I've been quilting about 12 years now. In January I was elected president of my local quilt guild. It's quite a challenge with the virus. About half of our members are able to meet right now. I love sampler quilts and batiks. Quilt alongs are perfect for me. The schedule keeps me on track. I am looking forward to this journey.
Old 02-20-2021, 03:47 AM

How nice to introduce ourselves! I'm Marianne, and I live in Barre, Vermont, USA, "Granite Center of the World." My partner, Paul, and I are retired librarians and retired innkeepers. We loved having a B&B but now are happy to live in a condo. This gives us time to travel, and we've been close to where you live, Tish. We visited Gulf Shores, AL, while staying in Fairhope several weeks in past winters. I belong to two local guilds and the state guild but none have met for about a year. For one local guild, I've been coordinating a block of the month with lottery since Sept. and also a block swap that ends in May. I also belong to a small, international group of swappers. I love scrappy samplers and have made quite a few over the years. Setting them can be a challenge. I'm not sure I can keep up with our schedule, but will give it a try!
Old 02-20-2021, 07:00 AM

Nice to meet you Mkotch. My husband and I travel to Gulf Shores quite often. We have a VW beetle convertible and wander the roads in Alabama on beautiful Saturdays. I love the Fairhope arts show in March. It's usually around my birthday so we take the day to explore.
Old 02-20-2021, 01:36 PM

We also love the gulf shores! We’ve visited the Orange Beach/Gulf Shores area for family vacations for more than 20 years. When my kids think Beach, they picture the gulf shores of Alabama. It’s such a beautiful place. Here is a photo from our last stay a couple of years ago. We rented a house on the lagoon side. It was so peaceful.

We have a son and daughter, both in their 20’s. We married a bit later in life, so even with young adult children, we are both now retired. My siblings grandchildren are the age of my kids. Of course, my siblings married very young.

I took up quilting after retirement, so I’ve only been quilting for about 3 years. Still so much to learn.
Attached Thumbnails 8baf4c9d-dd6d-4e77-ab61-7c1c623dc2a2.jpeg  
Old 02-20-2021, 01:58 PM

I received my book yesterday and I’ve pulled fabric option #1 but still considering. Decided to play a bit and make one block for my 6” block stand for my sewing room. These are not the colors for option #1 but match my sewing room. I love this block. Turned edge and machine sewn with matching thread..teeny tiny zig zag...my preferred method. I was thinking of using a black & white text background like in the picture but then I’d have to purchase fabric so I think I’m going with a colored background fabric instead cream or white. I tend to use a lot of white/white fabrics for BG ....and my Sylvia is like that so I’m trying something different, which I’ve never really done. Also, thinking about not making all the blocks and designing my own layout instead of rows and sashing. Lots to consider..

A bit about myself....quilting since 2016...married 33 years, no children, semi-retired marriage and family therapist; however, during COVID, I provided grief counseling for our high school following a couple of student suicides. Born and raised in Southern Calif but moved to Southwest Idaho in 2019, built a home, moved in before the winter and COVID hit. And, have been decorating and sewing, and planting ever since. Loving it here despite the climate changes for us. I think it’s worth noting that I am sick of my own cooking.

So, I will share my fabrics when I decide.... I’m getting very excited to start and started designing a layout on EQ8 to figure the size and how many blocks I need to make.

This block is I-2, Whig Rose from the book... will definitely make this block again for my sampler
Attached Thumbnails 85292e7b-8238-47fb-881e-c82d28a45945.jpeg  

Last edited by Teen; 02-20-2021 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-20-2021, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Blueridgebeverly View Post
We also love the gulf shores! We’ve visited the Orange Beach/Gulf Shores area for family vacations for more than 20 years. When my kids think Beach, they picture the gulf shores of Alabama. It’s such a beautiful place. Here is a photo from our last stay a couple of years ago. We rented a house on the lagoon side. It was so peaceful.

We have a son and daughter, both in their 20’s. We married a bit later in life, so even with young adult children, we are both now retired. My siblings grandchildren are the age of my kids. Of course, my siblings married very young.

I took up quilting after retirement, so I’ve only been quilting for about 3 years. Still so much to learn.
Gorgeous picture!! Love Gulf Shores...
Old 02-20-2021, 02:42 PM

That is a gorgeous block, Teen. What collection is the background fabric with the story? That is so cool.
Old 02-20-2021, 08:34 PM

I wanted to try out some of my selected fabric so made A-1.
Attached Thumbnails 1-air-castle.jpg