Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
International Patriotic Challenge >

International Patriotic Challenge

International Patriotic Challenge

Old 05-09-2012, 06:03 AM
Power Poster

DublB's X method works ... you have bias on the outside edges of yoru square in a square.
I used it for this quilt, as I needed to get the pattern facing the right way in the setting triangles. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t179122.html

The \ method ... you have bias on the side you are stitching right away, leaving straight of grain on the outside edges.

Either ways, you have bias to deal with ... spray starch the fabric and it'll help keep it stable while you are cutting/trimming.

If not doing overly large sq-in-sq .... I like to PP them .... gets it all really nice and precise.

W4Me .... how large is your cross stitched maple leaf centre?
Old 05-09-2012, 06:09 AM

Beautiful quilt QuiltE.

Cross stitch is now about 9" square (I haven't actually measured ) Final square will be 12" finished.
Maple leaf is about 6"(?) so I have room to play.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:48 AM

Here is a sample of my Patriotic MQ Clue 1, 2 and 3. Next clue is Friday.. cant wait to see whats next. Will have to come back later and peruse all the postings. Have a wonderful day everyone.
Attached Thumbnails patriotic-sample.jpg  
Old 05-09-2012, 07:57 AM
Power Poster

W4Me ... Perfect!! big enough, but not overpowering!!! Room to play is always good ... so when creativity strikes, you're not prevented from using it!

JenniKy ... Looks terrific! Is this a patriotic mystery for all? Or just that you chose the fabrics as such? We'll look forward to seeing what the next clue creates!
Old 05-09-2012, 08:24 AM

QuiltE, I am doing a Mystery quilt on another site which I selected to make as my Patriotic challenge. I am doing two quilts in this mystery. One in Black and Tan/white Paisley and the other Patriotic for this challenge. It's been really fun to see how all the quilts are emerging. I think the last estimate was that 800 were signed up and participating...I'm sure there are many who are working on it that are not signed up. All of the mystery's I have done up to now have just been for smaller quilts or large blocks which can be expanded to the size you prefer. This is the first time I have done a mystery with a full size quilt as the outcome..so very exciting for me. The patriotic quilt will be for me and the Paisley for my DH. This next winter we will have to become even more scrupulous on heating fuel...the cost is so high...so we will be wrapping up in these quilts for TV watching and working at the computer. LOL we are not very good at sharing covers so we both need our own. Haha
Old 05-09-2012, 08:26 AM

Jenniky - looks fabulous. I'm looking forward to more updates. Perhaps you can provide a link to the Mystery for us?
I'm thinking moose for the centre of the left hand centre blocks. Too many possibilities for next year's patriotic project and I have barely begun this year's.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:40 AM

I wasnt sure if I was allowed to. I originally heard about this mystery on this site someone was trying to satellite host it over here and it was shut down..so l went over to the actual site.. A lot of posts to read up on with so many people participating.. Obviously cant read everyone's posts and replies or I wouldn't be doing anything else all day but reading and replying LOL. I will PM you with the link W4me and If anyone else would like it please PM me and I will be happy to send you a link.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:15 AM

Thank you. Didn't realize it was a different site.

Not that I need more projects, especially with the new mystery train starting today.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:09 PM
Muv

Hello Jenniky - nice to see your blocks on display! And interesting to see that you are doing two at once so you can have two different versions. I don't know if I could do a Mystery Quilt - the suspense would be too much.

It's been a busy day, and I've posted a tutorial thread with pictures to explain the method I am using. I hope I have taken the mystery out of it!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ml#post5205713
Attached Thumbnails e2r1952-049.jpg  
Old 05-09-2012, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by dublb View Post
W4Me - I heard of a method for doing a square in a square. (I have done it once.) Cut 2 squares the same size as the center square. Now cut diagonal across both of 'em. 4 triangles that are too big. Find the centers of the center block & the centers of the triangles. Line 2 of the centers up w/the opposite sides of the block & sew 'em on. Then do the other 2 sides. Trim to the correct size. Clear as mud???? Wish I had my camera so I could show ya.
One of my friends laid a square of the next color on top of the original block and sewed a 1/4 inch seam all the way around. She then drew an X from corner to corner, clipped along the lines and pressed it open. Looked really simple but I've never tried it.