Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
International Patriotic Challenge >

International Patriotic Challenge

International Patriotic Challenge

Old 06-24-2012, 01:39 PM

"right" is whatever you want it to be!! personally, I think I'd SITD minimally with the rest stippled ...
Old 06-24-2012, 01:44 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Liz92B View Post
"right" is whatever you want it to be!! personally, I think I'd SITD minimally with the rest stippled ...

Oh I knew someone would come back and remind me there are no rules in quilting!!! Though I do like to find out what most people do and all the variations ...... and then I go off and figure out my "right"!!!
Old 06-24-2012, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Liz92B View Post
I agree about what right is for you! If ya want Monty ta stand out then SID around him but the stipplin' close would be a close approximation of the look ya want. What ever you're gonna make it look great.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post

Oh I knew someone would come back and remind me there are no rules in quilting!!! Though I do like to find out what most people do and all the variations ...... and then I go off and figure out my "right"!!!
As my niece would say, "Ya go girl!"
Old 06-24-2012, 01:50 PM
Muv

Hello QuiltE - I think applique needs the outline quilting. This is what I was doing in the pics at posts 414 and 416 of this thread, and also I did a thread on the vintage machine section:-

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...g-t190439.html

Last edited by Muv; 06-24-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:00 PM

Jenniky, I also have had luck the the Press'n Seal. I traced the design with a fine point Sharpie, then dropped the feed dogs and just followed the design. The Press'n Seal pulled off easily. I have no luck with stippling, so I usually STID where I can, and use the Press'n'Seal on the other areas. A FMQ I am not, but I try!
Old 06-24-2012, 03:30 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Muv View Post
Hello QuiltE - I think applique needs the outline quilting. This is what I was doing in the pics at posts 414 and 416 of this thread, and also I did a thread on the vintage machine section:-

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...g-t190439.html

Thanks Muv!!
Those posts were the ones that I thought you were doing the blanket stitch on the machine ... and even with your explanation, I didn't catch on that you were stitching up close!! I hadn't seen the vintage thread, being that I don't have a vintage machine, I tend not to check that section. Your stitching has come out so even and you have gotten nice and close.

JenniKy ... I just saw your Mystery Train block and it' specatcular. I like how you finished it off and honestly, IMHO you've given it a far nicer look that way, than if you'd done the piano key border. How large is it? In other words, I'm wondering how much you need to add to get it to the size you want.

Last edited by QuiltE; 06-24-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:40 PM

Oh Morelcabin, That sure is purty!!!
Old 06-24-2012, 06:10 PM
Power Poster

Welcome MorelCabin!
It's so nice to have you drop by ... and what a special Canadian memory to have sent to Italy.

FYI this thread isn't ending with Canada Day!!! ..... so we'd love to have you come on back and work on another of your unique creations!!
Old 06-25-2012, 03:37 AM

JenniKY...you can use different colored threads on the top and the one you want to show on the underside for all of the quilt if the tension is set for it. Clover pen is the best one for truly washing out if your still wish to use pen. Some of the others do wash out and reappear. The weights of the threads and how well they do partnered up will depend a lot on how well your machine can be adjusted. My Janome 6500 seems to take different weights on the top and bobbin well. It takes some experimenting. BTW...if you are doing more than stippling, the finer the thread, the easier it is to backtrack on a design without it being noticed. My instructor uses 100w silk thread. Whatever the design, she would recommend some STD or outlining to stabilize before doing the final quilting. That way, you can start your quilting wherever it works best for you and most of the pens can be removed and out of the way. Have fun!