Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Jen Kingwell blocks and finished quilts >

Jen Kingwell blocks and finished quilts

Jen Kingwell blocks and finished quilts

Old 04-01-2019, 04:26 AM

Thank you Nita!

The layout only makes sense when you attach the strips. There's a coloring page somewhere on the internet which I used. That way you can keep track of the blocks made and the overall layout of the quilt.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:56 AM

It's beautiful Anael! I would have never thought of Christmas fabrics and it's perfect. Such a variety of prints. Good job.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:09 AM

Thank you toverly!

Every quilt can be made with Christmas fabrics as far as I'm concerned
Old 04-01-2019, 09:19 AM

Almost down to the last row of Bakers Dozen. I need to finish the block I'm making right now and the 3rd row of the final border will be finished. Hopefully I can do that today though I feel not like it right now. I've been sewing almost all day!

Tomorrow I'm volunteering at a course for people with dementia and their caregivers. The course is called 'The power of memories'. It involves old stories and things from the past and hopefully it will trigger (happy) memories.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:30 AM

Pfew!!!! 3rd row finished. Now I need 5 more blocks and Bakers Dozen will be called a finish!! Not going to happen tomorrow though and neither Wednesday. So.....hopefully by the end of this week!

If so, I allowed myself to purchase a new quilt pattern. No, no Kingwell this time! And if not I might purchase it anyway Coming Saturday I'm going for a ride with my brother and I planned a visit to a quilt shop while we're there. It's called Urban Owls by Wendy Williams.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:30 AM

Can't wait to see your BD.... You are sewing up a storm! Good for you!

Have fun teaching your class... Challenging demographic to work with... Caregivers and volunteers are special people. The more training the more effective they will be. Good luck!! Research shows that music can inspire memory recall. One of my professors in graduate school was doing a research project on this very subject. Very cool!
Old 04-01-2019, 10:59 AM

Anael, excellent pattern. I can see why you want the Urban Owls pattern. I would love to have the pattern also. I want to learn how to do round robin quilts better. And, this is a fun pattern that looks like it is loosely based on a round robin type setting. I wish I could buy this pattern in a Wall hanging size. I will think about purchasing it in the near future. Maybe I can play around with changing the size.

Good luck with your course. I have no experience or knowledge to import as I am truly inexperienced in this area. But, I do hope it goes well and the caregivers get a lot out of it.

Teen, I got my Book!! Two-Hour Mini Quilt Projects: Over 111 Appliqued and Pieced Designs by Kate, McKenzie. You don't get a real gist of what this book is by the cover. I love it. It was worth the money. And, it was really inexpensive. It is going to be so much fun playing with the patterns in there. It is an older book. So, a lot of the patterns you have to enlarge. But, the choices are mind boggling. It's more about the patterns then the technique. It is going to be so much fun playing with this book.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:27 AM

Judith, the Bakers Dozen is a round robin too but it's quite large once finished. No wall hanging size! I like sections better because I can jump around and don't have to follow certain rules
Have fun with your new book, sounds like you will be busy for a while

Thanks for the good wishes. I'll be alright, I've worked with people with dementia. No expert but it's not a first time for me.

Teen, I'm not teaching, I'm just volunteering. Meaning being there, taking care of people, have lunch with the people with dementia and keep them busy after lunch either with stories or music or whatever.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:52 PM

Awesome, Judith!! Mini or small projects are a blast to make. So glad you are pleased with your book. 111 applique patterns? So cool. I need to checkout that book. I hope you share your projects with us!

I purchased the Urban Owl pattern last year while in Idaho. The LQS was doing a BOM and wouldn't sell the pattern until BOM completed so they held a pattern for me. I saw this quilt up close and personal and it is a busy, crazy, colorful quilt if made using the colors of pattern. Lots of different techniques used in making this...Wendy Williams patterns are really colorful and mostly wool but this pattern is great in cotton. This LQS is currently doing Jen Kingwell's BOM pattern Golden Days. It's an awesome quilt, too. I have been looking at Edyta Sitar's patterns and I saw a couple applique patterns that I may purchase. I need 48 hour days!!
Old 04-01-2019, 09:37 PM

I just joined the Urban Owl Facebook group. The same problem with this pattern: poorly written. One lady asked.....what's wrong with those Aussies? LOL.
So like the Kingwell patterns I guess I will have to read and reread before cutting my fabrics.