Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Jen Kingwell blocks and finished quilts >

Jen Kingwell blocks and finished quilts

Jen Kingwell blocks and finished quilts

Old 05-16-2019, 06:24 AM

I was at my local quilt shop yesterday and spoke to the staff person who will be leading the Gypsy Wife Club (at the QS) this Fall. I told her that, while I have both patterns, I was planning to make My Small World first. She sort of discouraged me from taking that approach, saying that My Small World is far more difficult than Gypsy Wife. So my quest is to Anael and anyone else on this Q Bd who has experience in making both of these patterns: Do you agree that Gypsy Wife is the easier pattern and that I should tackle that before My Small World? My friend Kathy (also a member of this Q Bd) and I were planning to simultaneously work on My Small World.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-16-2019 at 08:48 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 05-16-2019, 06:25 AM

I went to the nursery to get some plants for the front yard. On my way back I saw this: a baby lapwing running away from me. He/she didn't listen to his/her mom to hide and wait for the 'all clear' signal, meaning he/she might not survive!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]612928[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 16.05.2019campus1.1.jpg  
Old 05-16-2019, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Nita View Post
I was at my local quilt shop yesterday and spoke to the staff person who will be leading the Gypsy Wife Club (at the QS) this Fall. I told her that, while I have both patterns, I was planning to make My Small World first. She sort of discouraged me from taking that approach, saying that My Small World is far more difficult than Gypsy Wife. So my quest is to ANAEL and anyone else on this Q Bd who has experience in making both of these patterns: Do you agree that Gypsy Wife is the easier pattern and that I should tackle that before My Small World? My friend Kathy (also a member of this Q Bd) and I were planning to simultaneously work on My Small World.
I'm sorry but I really have to disagree. Gypsy Wife is straight forward piecing, no appliqué, no dresdens, just blocks. But lots of ladies have lots of trouble making Gypsy Wife.
My Small World has applique but it's not difficult. It's not like you have to make a zillion flowers, just a few circles and hills. But if you want to skip those and do something else you can. I've seen a My Small World with 2 hills instead of 4.
The sky is all 1" finished pieces but if you want to do 2" finished that's fine too. If you want to make Ohio Stars you go ahead and make those. I don't do the embroidery in the sky, I don't like that.

In both quilts you can use orhpan blocks if you want to.
I think when you follow the pattern and instructions you will be fine, no matter which one you tackle first.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

You know I'm the UFO Queen...so no worries!!!!

Sounds like fun...Nita..make sure you share, please.

Last edited by oksewglad; 05-16-2019 at 07:26 AM.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:36 AM

I'm not going to count my UFO's!!!! No way!! LOL
Old 05-16-2019, 08:46 AM
Power Poster

Neither do I! Just taking a breather...been outside digging in veg and flower beds. Transplanted a couple of asters...beautiful purple color in the fall. Picked asparagus...we eat them green here and also have a purple variety. Want to go plant some marigold seeds. Rained early this morning...a nice warm one, then temps rose... now 23 degrees C and 70% humidity...will be sticky out later! Now for a quick drink and figure out what's for dinner...duh asparagus!
Old 05-16-2019, 09:03 AM

LOL Enjoy your dinner! I purchased some asters this week, they're bright pink. The plants I purchased today are still not planted, my granddaughter will be staying here this weekend and she wants to help me. Temps dropped again here, windy, no sunshine.......not so much fun to be outside right now.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:19 PM

Oooooo....lovely fabrics, Anael, for Meadow. I love that pattern. That might be a good pattern to work on during construction since there is alot of applique.

I did not plant anything, obviously, with me moving, but I sure enjoyed my roses blooming. Since I gave my niece all my house plants...which were a lot, I have had no plant life inside house so I grabbed a couple of mason jars and kept them filled with the roses that bloomed. Helped with stress cuz I need love things around me. Lol.. I would love to dig up the rose bushes and take with me. The best I've ever had.

Happy Birds is my only UFO and only cuz I can't quilt it until I get my patooty moved. It's a priority to get it done. So...Oksewglad...having one UFO should tickle you...lol..

Movers tomorrow!! Woohoo...
Old 05-16-2019, 03:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
Happy Birds is my only UFO and only cuz I can't quilt it until I get my patooty moved. It's a priority to get it done. So...Oksewglad...having one UFO should tickle you...lol..

Movers tomorrow!! Woohoo...
I let you wallow in the despair of a UFO! You will get used to it and then pretty soon you will have two. Happy Birds would be great to hand piece while you are waiting. Yeah off the stuff heads north. Are you leaving then too? Safe travels!
Old 05-16-2019, 08:54 PM

Thanks all! I just purchased the fabrics because I liked them. If I'm going to use them for Meadow? I don't know yet. Maybe.

The only time I had just one UFO was when I started quilting, didn't finish my very first quilt and started my second one. That's about 9 or 10 years ago now.

I once had lots and lots of house plants too. Now I have 3......LOL.

Moving time!!!!!!!!!!! Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh. Finally! Good luck with the move!