Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Jen Kingwell blocks and finished quilts

I will admit that until reading this post I had never heard of Jen Kingwell. Of course I googled her. Wow! Must say that most of her patterns are so complicated and I would never ever attempt them. But there are one or two that perhaps I could wrap my brain around......maybe.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-26-2018 at 02:24 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Blog Entries
    Great blocks Anael. What size are the Gypsy Wife blocks?
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

Teen.....can I ask where you purchased the multi color strips fabric from?

Welcome Linda! Glad you found us
    I agree, some of the patterns are a bit confusing but the ones in the book Quilt Lovely are not that complicated. You need to read carefully and you'll be ok. And if not, we're here to help.

Judith, they're all different sizes. The ones I made now range from 9" finished to 3" finished.
    Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat

Quote Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
    I will admit that until reading this post I had never heard of Jen Kingwell.
    I'm another who wasn't familiar with Jen Kingwell but certainly am WOW'd by her beautiful designs. Have too long a list of 'to do's' to participate now but perhaps in the future. In the meantime, I will continue to admire all of your beautiful work ladies

FYI - If you're a member of the Sew It's For Sale yahoo group you'll see there's a Jen Kingwell template package for sale for the Delilah Quilt that was a BOM and the gal is selling all 12 templates plus the put-it-together instructions from her BOM for $115.

Thanks for all the continuous eye candy - your blocks and quilts are truly gorgeous.

Christine
    Christine
    In my dream world.... fabric is free and quilting makes you thin!

Blog Entries
    Same here, but I have heard of the Gypsy Wife and thought it interesting. After seeing Macybaby's it's a small world in progress, I'm anxious to try that.

Anael, are you PP your blocks?

Teen your fabric combos are so fresh looking!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-26-2018 at 02:25 AM.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Thanks Christine and welcome here. I guess we will be here for quite some time so if you decide to participate we will cheer you on

Most of them are PP OK but not all.

I love Jen's patterns! I have Gypsy wife, it is right where I can see it as I finish just one more UFO.

Here is a picture of my Gypsy Wife before it was quilted. I plan on taking more pictures of it to show more of the detail.

I used all different fabrics for the strips, no repeats. I think the key to doing these quilts is a good design wall. They are not hard in the parts, but hard to keep it all organized while putting it together. I cut my strips and had them numbered, and then did all the blocks, and then put them all together.

I have always planned on doing another, and I think I'm going to go with dark shades for the strips and bright for the blocks.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Hi Karen! Did you finish your Gypsy Wife? If so, would you please post a picture? We would love to see it!

Quote Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
    Here is a picture of my Gypsy Wife before it was quilted. I plan on taking more pictures of it to show more of the detail.

I used all different fabrics for the strips, no repeats. I think the key to doing these quilts is a good design wall. They are not hard in the parts, but hard to keep it all organized while putting it together. I cut my strips and had them numbered, and then did all the blocks, and then put them all together.

I have always planned on doing another, and I think I'm going to go with dark shades for the strips and bright for the blocks.
    My design wall is too small so I have to use my curtains No problems, I'm doing that all the time.
    I copied the sections and keep track of what I did by crossing off the blocks. I will number the strips too, at least that's the plan. I still haven't decided how to tackle this one

More peeps and more awesome blocks, Anael....very cool...

jmoore & Karen....would love to see your GW. Kingwell patterns always intimidated me. But since finishing Sylvia Bridal Sampler, nothing intimidates me anymore. Lol. I've had the GW & Green Tea patterns for awhile so it was time to dive in...

lindaschipper.....I bought most of my striped fabric from LQS called The Cotton Gin in Redlands CA. Their store is bright and colorful. I think I have a yard of every polka dot they sell. Lol..

Cathy....gorgeous GW.... I can't tell with the lighting..... is that pink and browns?
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Hahahaha Teen, Sylvia isn't the most complicated quilt but I'm happy you can't be scared off anymore

I still didn't get my Green Tea book. I already emailed the shop but they didn't reply yet.

Lol....My block yesterday had Y-seams and I just whipped it out.....lol...I remember waiting until almost the last on SBS to do the Y-seam blocks. And, for me, 6" blocks was intimidating enough. Learned so much and I'm grateful. You are making headway on GW so I suggest you just keep on going...besides.....I'm loving the colorway. GTSB book will be there when you are ready...

lindaschipper.....Here is the salvage info on that striped fabric you like. "A Wildflower Meadow #2964 by Jackie Robinson of Animas Quilts for Benartex LLC." Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Teen; 06-06-2018 at 09:20 AM.
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

With every quilt you learn something new, that's my firm belief.
    This time I'm learning how to sew a scant 1/4" seam. I'm getting there, my blocks are more accurate. Some still are a tad too small but that's ok with me.

Thanks for the compliments on my blocks My new fabric is on it's way, hopefully it will arrive tomorrow. Can't wait to use it. That Gypsy Wife is so much fun and a challenge at the same time colourwise.

Your GW will be stunning, Anael......the scant is different on each machine. Once you find your accurate scant mark on your footer, you'll be good go. I use scant almost exclusively with blocks with points but some use it for even 9P....The tricks of the trade...lol...
    Last edited by Teen; 06-06-2018 at 09:43 AM.

Awww thanks Teen!

I used scant on the 9 p today and it came out perfect. I might have pushed the fabric too far under the foot and never got the right measurements.
    I use my straight stitch Juki for piecing and my Brother for machine embroidery.

Teen when I see all your beautiful GTSB blocks I want to roll around in your polka dots too Your fabrics are really gorgeous!!

I need some help.

In the Gypsy Wife book is written: pinwheel block finished block 3"..........cutting instructions and then: Assembly: make as per 4" pinwheels.
    What does that mean? As per = like, the same way as?
    TIA!

it means follow the directions for the 4" pinwheel but change the measurements so it will end up being 3". You will see that quite a bit as there is the same block done in different sizes.

I did not like that most measurements are for finished size, not the size it should be before you sew it in place.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Thanks Macebaby, I thought so but wasn't sure.
    Once you're used to measurements are finished size it's no problem, when starting it needed some thinking

I made a few more blocks. Still waiting for the Green Tea book to arrive. I sent the shop an email but they don't reply.

Name:  Courthouse Steps 7 S2.1.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  103.6 KB
    courthouse steps 7" finished

Name:  Courthouse Steps1.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  116.8 KB
    Another courthouse steps. One of the steps is wonky but the block measures 8" finished. Weird.......

Name:  Indian Hatchet1.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  136.5 KB
    Indian Hatchet

I have a few more but I need to resize them first.

I have to admit, the Excel files are a big help in keeping track of the blocks already done and all the colours I used. Specially with this one it's very important - at least that's what I think

Gypsy Wife is one pattern that your blocks need to be very accruate in sewing as you are fitting different sized blocks in with strips, and if you are not accurate it's not going to come together correctly. Sometimes you are sewing three strips with a block on top, then you sew another strip along that, and sew that to a bigger block -etc. As you assemble, keep checking your measurements to make sure you are not getting off on your measurements. Sometimes you may want to sew with a different seam allowance to get back on track.

You can ease a larger block into the strips, but if you try to stretch a smaller block to fit into the strip it won't work so well.

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast