Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Jen Kingwell blocks and finished quilts >

Jen Kingwell blocks and finished quilts

Jen Kingwell blocks and finished quilts

Old 02-20-2020, 01:10 PM

I have to disagree on this one with you Toverly. The quilting is noticed, at least with mine it is. Like you I quilted the strips avoiding the blocks and quilted each block differently. I'm glad I didn't do an all over pattern.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:39 AM

I started quilting another Kingwell quilt. Here's the back

Attached Thumbnails quilting.jpg  
Old 02-21-2020, 02:19 PM

Beautiful, Anael! When I quilted my GTSB it felt like I made the whole thing twice by the time I was done. Lol... You do amazing work on your domestic. So happy you are getting this quilted. Please share when done!!
Old 02-25-2020, 05:31 AM

Anael, everything about your quilts is wonderfully done ... including the FMQ. I used to say that the actual quilting did not matter very much. But the more I delve into the world of quilt-making, the more I realize that the quilting is what makes a quilt come alive.
BTW, Kathy & I have each started our My Small World quilts. I'd love to show everyone my first panel, but am having an awful time trying to post pictures on this new format. I still have not been successful in getting my avatar picture attached. Sigh ...
I make no apologies admitting that my computer skills fall short from most ... it is what it is.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:34 AM

Thank you Nita! Yes, without quilting a quilt isn't a quilt, it's just a nice piece of fabric.

How exciting having started My Small World! You can attach pictures to your post by going advanced and click on the paperclip. A new small window will open (like with the old format) and you can upload your pics there. I found out 5 mb doesn't work. You have to resize them. I lost my avatar too but didn't try to upload a new one yet.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:05 PM

Very, very discouraged and disgusted with my Long Time Gone. I've put the top together, narrow border to match sashings (black) and then began to put borders on top and bottom. One side is 2 inches longer than the other!!!! Top measures 62 inches and bottom is 64 inches. All I can think of is so many bias edges that somehow stretched as I put top together. I think it is too much to "fudge". For now, I've put the top away (perhaps forever). One day I may revisit it. I really don't want to rip as I don't know which sections threw off the measurement. Yes, I measured from the center of each side. Grrrr....after all my hard work, too. I just want to cry.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:19 PM

I know you are so disappointed Anita. After that much work, I don't know if I would ever want to touch it again. But I hope you do. If all else fails, figure out how to make a border that hides the variance. As for me, I don't have the patience to do one that complicated but enjoy so much those of you who tackle these wonderful projects.

Now, if I were determined to find out where the errors are, I would take a picture of it, print it out and then start measuring all the parts and pieces and put those measurements on your picture. That should help you find where you may want to make any seam corrections. Or JUST Don't worry about it. Finish it with the variance and be happy that it is DONE.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:00 PM

Oh no Anita!!!!! So sorry! I hope you will try again. I might put a narrow 63 "border. One inch isn't hard to 'fudge'. ...You've worked too hard to put it away, possibly forever.
Old 02-27-2020, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
I know you are so disappointed Anita. After that much work, I don't know if I would ever want to touch it again. But I hope you do. If all else fails, figure out how to make a border that hides the variance..
I do hope you continue with it, Anita, as Long Time Gone is truly a labor of love. I agree with Barb that perhaps scaling the border might work to even it out. I added a plain border to mine rather than a pieced one because it seemed busy enough. You might try putting a plain border on and then a pieced one, varying both a bit to make the quilt come out square.

I am just sewing the binding down on mine and will post a photo soon. I am good for one side a day so I have a couple more days to go!
Old 02-27-2020, 01:05 PM

I am going to rip the borders I have on now and try again. I do have narrow borders on all sides, found out when I added pieced borders that bottom was 2" wider than top (62 inches vs. 64 inches). I am going to see if I can fudge top and bottom with new borders to see if I can take up the difference.

Thanks for commiserating with me. Will keep you posted as to how my session with Jack goes...