Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Jen Kingwell blocks and finished quilts

Thank you Teen!!
    For now I'll leave the dark blue, but I still think about replacing it. I can do a few small 3" ones with dark blue and see if that works with the large block.
    Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat

Your quilt, darlin.....Go with your gut.....you have an eye for color ways....
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

My books have been shipped from Australia. Hopefully it won't take weeks before getting here!
    Lets see which ones arrive first: the GTSB or the other 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Teen View Post
    Your quilt, darlin.....Go with your gut.....you have an eye for color ways....
    Thank you!!

Nice looking blocks! And if you the navy looks out of place to you, replace it now. It will never be easier to replace than right now! Too often I've thought - maybe - and then decided I didn't want to bother. I'd say in most cases I end up wishing I had, but decide I can live with it. But usually it ends up being a quilt that goes in my "give away "pile even if I had originally planned to keep it.

So I've gotten way better about taking the time to change things. The truth is the most common reason I don't is that I'm impatient. There is no reason for that, I just get in a rush and then forget that I don't have a deadline on getting quilts done. My life is too full of deadlines I'm just use to operating like that.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Thanks Macebaby!
    I made another block with the dark blue fabric. Just a tiny 3" finished one so the fabric won't be noticed. I think I'm going to replace the dark blue in the large block. I'm quite sure I always will 'see' it and wonder why..........

I'm like you, impatient but for me without having any deadlines. Lately I'm learning to adjust things, replace pieces, resew seams......well you get it . We're never too old to learn!!

I get impatient too. Mine stems from not wanting things "un-done"/not completed, which is the reason why I have no UFO's and work at it to not have any. I take the time now and fix things if I don't care for it. I did that with Sylvia...I think I remade 5 or 6 blocks. When I first started quilting, I couldn't make a quilt fast enough....there were so many things I wanted to learn. Sylvia taught me a lot and.......wore me out.

Glad the books are on the way, Anael...You've got a few projects ahead of you. Wonderful!

I made a couple of pieced blocks yesterday in Section 2 of GTSB and, today, I'll finish up an applique block for same section. I'm just taking my time and loving my dots and stripes... I won't get the section done before my trip this weekend but that's OK.
    Last edited by Teen; 06-12-2018 at 09:58 AM.
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

A few blocks for section 2. Kind of took some liberties with the berry basket. Thought the basket needed sprucing up a bit..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gorgeous blocks Teen!!!!! I thought you were off to make a jelly roll quilt......

My GTSB book will be shipped tomorrow so it that's true it will be here Thursday. YEAHHHHH fingers crossed.
    Knowing the propeller block is 3 1/4 " finished I already made a few
    In the meantime I'm thinking about the GW strips. Should I do them in bright colours or tone it all down a bit.....or both.......decisions!!!

Blog Entries
    Hi Anael, I think your Gypsy blocks will stand out more if you keep your strips not so bright. Maybe a mixture of creams or beiges. Or even white on whites and very light gray. What do you have on hand to play with? I think it really depends on the look your going for with this quilt.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee

Blog Entries
    Teen, more adorable blocks. I think your berry basket is very cute. I really like your background fabric.

Thank you, Judith & Anael!!

Anael...I agree with Judith about going with light strips so your blocks are distinct. I lean toward white more then cream...maybe white with teeny tiny color prints...like micro polka Dots? And then a solid of some other color here and there... I like the soft gray suggestion. That's what I'm doing on GTSB....Just bouncing off ideas... I think you are going to have to audition several scenarios to decide.
    Last edited by Teen; 06-12-2018 at 03:56 PM.

I had a look at several finished GW tops, found a few with white/cream strips and wasn't impressed. I think it sticks out too much. I will finish section 10 with the strips I have in mind - the fabrics I'm using for the blocks together with fabrics in a softer tone and see how that works. With section 10 I'll have a good example of how the whole quilt would look.

While searching for finished tops I came across one, done in only solids (yellow, greens and lots of blues). The strips were solid blues mixed with blues with tiny stars. It looks like a night sky, I really love it. I asked permission to share a copy of the picture here on the board. I thought you might want to see it too. I'm waiting for her to reply

No sewing today, I will be gone most of the day. Maybe tonight one or two filler blocks

I got permission to share the picture of that starry night gypsy wife with you all. Here it is:

Name:  gw-plan.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  136.0 KB
    This one is designed and made by Sarah Ruiz.

Blog Entries
    Wowzers Anael. That sure is a pretty one. I do like those darker blues.

Anael - that is the one I really liked too, and figured if I do a second, it would be like that. My first was the opposite, lighter stripes with darker blocks.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Blog Entries
    what a wonderful interpretation! Thanks for sharing....
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Oh....I like that one alot alot alot......

Worked in my garden this morning...then got too hot so I did a couple of more blocks for Section 2. The left one I ended up doing PP....worked fab!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

So tell me Teen, yhow does PP work on round shapes? I love the new blocks!!

Macebaby, I thought the same. One wild Wife and one not so........hahaha. No really, I would love to make one in these colours too. Who knows, she mentioned the fabriclines she used. I would have to go back and find out.

My GTSB book just arrived. They had another shop send it to me. That's ok with me, I guess I would have had to wait too long otherwise.

I made the Berrie block. As I already had the Wedding Chain and Double Pinwheel they're now sewn together.
    It's so different from the GW, I really have to get used to these colours

Name:  berrie1.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  115.1 KB

Blog Entries
    I love seeing all these new blocks...
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Hi OK

I decided to redo the wedding chain block. I know I won't like the background colour after all and this qult is a lot of work so I want it to be what I really want. I'm a bright person......hahahaha so bright(er) it will be!!

Blog Entries
    Good for you Anael. Better to change it out now. I like your berry block. Very pretty.

Thank you Judith!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast