Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 57 of 59 FirstFirst ... 7 47 56 57 58 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 1451

Thread: Jen Kingwell blocks and finished quilts

....not happening..

Making progress....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Senior Member sewingitalltogether's Avatar
    Well, I found stacks of squares, strips, partially together blocks, extra blocks and 1 1/2" sewn together . That's perfect for those 1" squares . Making good progress. The background fabrics didn't come from my scrap box. Nothing that big. I did rummage through my green batik box (yes I have a large tub of nothing but multiple green batiks for leaves) and found some leftover stems all sewn. I do a lot of hand applique. That's why I have the green batik box. I've been a fan of Edyta Sitar's batiks for years. So much of my scraps are her fabrics.
    Name:  IMG_1180.JPG
Views: 80
Size:  74.8 KB
    Lost my template for flower #5. Will have to make another.
    Last edited by sewingitalltogether; 01-11-2019 at 01:25 PM.
    Gail

Sewing....that is looking great so far. I'm loving the colors...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Teen, lovely flowers and leaves!! Happy colors

Sewing, looking good! Did you find the template after you made another one?
    Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat

Has any of you done Spindrift or own the pattern? I'm curious, is it machine piecing mostly? It looks like curved piecing but I understand it's not, it's more like Dresden. Do you applique those on the background fabric?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Anael View Post
    Has any of you done Spindrift or own the pattern? I'm curious, is it machine piecing mostly? It looks like curved piecing but I understand it's not, it's more like Dresden. Do you applique those on the background fabric?
    Went to google to see what the Spindrift pattern looks like. It took me to sparkling water that looks very healthy and interesting. Has anyone tried it? Took me on a very different journey!!! LOL

No, I didn't travel that far

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
    Went to google to see what the Spindrift pattern looks like. It took me to sparkling water that looks very healthy and interesting. Has anyone tried it? Took me on a very different journey!!! LOL
    PS - Never did find the pattern!

Thank you, Anael...

Spin Drift looks like both pieced and applique. Pieced Dresdons, then curved piecing to center, then whole thing applique'd to background piece. That's my take on pattern. I like the pattern.

That's what I thought too. I can do that Oh wait, curved piecing.....I might applique the whole thing including the center.
    I almost purchased the pattern but I remembered I need to finish Bakers Dozen first and I still have Happy Birds and Midnight at the Oasis.........and I started the second Gypsy.....no Spindrift for me any time soon....life's too short!!

Did you hand sew any of the blocks? I'm looking at the double drunkards path. That middle piece is going to stretch out of shape if I pull on it much. With machine piecing those curved pieces, I pull them sort of straight to sew them. Also, the clam shell block? And the small hexagon block?
    Green Tea and Sweet Beans
    Did you use a background fabric for the clam shells?

No, I did not hand sew any of my blocks. The double drunkards path is challenging but I did machine piece those. It was easiest when I pinned the curve. I did not attempt to lay them flat but let the fabric natural curl as I sewed. I sewed the inner band to the large piece first..Then sewed it to the smaller piece. You could, however, use glue to fit the pieces together then machine sew. You could also hand baste the pieces and then machine sew. Or, you could replace the block with something else. I took a class thru Craftsy on curved piecing. Great class.

Some of Kingwell patterns are designed for hand sewing. There are 3 flower blocks in Section 3, for instance. Those were clearly designed for hand sewing. The whole thing is pieced. Ugh! I altered the block by appliquing the flower and stems on one solid background. Some of the pieced blocks in pattern I ended up appliquing.

I used one background block and applique'd the clamshells. For the hexi's, I just machine sewed them together on a very thin piece of fabric because I did trapunto and didn't want any of the batting to come thru. I did not do the standard EPP with the Hexi's.

It's your quilt so go for what appeals to you to do.
    Last edited by Teen; 01-12-2019 at 02:05 PM.

I was planning to stuff the flowers. But, tell me more about how you stuffed the clam shells......

I did the trapunto technique with all of the applique in my quilt. I machine sew my turned edge applique, so I don't do needle turn. Before machine sewing applique in place on background, I add a layer of polyester loft behind the background fabric, then machine sew my applique pieces, then cut the loft away from around my applique pieces. Here is a picture of the back of the orange peel blocks.. I did the same with the clamshell block but I don't have a picture of the back. If you google trapunto technique you can see how it's done.. Also, you may want to read this thread....There are several of us who have shared different techniques and solutions to tackling some of the challenges of Kingwell blocks. Anael & I both shared how we did some of the blocks specific to GTSB pattern.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Teen; 01-12-2019 at 08:14 PM.

Teen, Thanks for sharing your trapunto method.
    Did you get my PM?
    The best kind of sleep beneath heaven above is under a quilt hand made with love. Anonymous

Yes, I did....PM'ing you now, sweetie..

Thanks Teen for explaining!!

One thing I did was replacing the double drunkards! I tried curved piecing them but failed. I didn't know Craftsy has a class on curved piecing. Might have to check out if they still do. I watched several youtube videos. Curved piecing was a problem with some of the Sylvia blocks too I really need to take time and learn it.

Here's Bakers Dozen as far as I got now. I still don't know where this is going, strangely enough! I think the one block on the right is too pink now but with the last row of the second border it can be balanced out. This one is way harder than I thought!!! The top right block is the corner block of the last row, so that's how large BD will be.

Name:  3 second borders done.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  113.2 KB

Thanks Teen. Yes, after 30 years of quilting I do sewn my own way. Not particularly the way the pattern says to do it. I will read the thread from the beginning. I'm starting to see how one can get addicted to these patterns. I wouldn't recommend them to a novice quilter.
    I found a good stack of 1/2 square triangles leftover from a large 1/2 square triangle quilt. They are just the right size for the pinwheel block.
    I am a hand appliquer. Do a bit of machine applique. I don't know about the border. I will most likely redraw it. Those egg shaped flowers don't do much for the border. I wonder if I can find a pile of preassembled flowers to use.

Anael, Loving it. It is going to be an awesome quilt.
    The best kind of sleep beneath heaven above is under a quilt hand made with love. Anonymous

Thank you Blue Bell!

Loving it, Anael! How big is the finished quilt? I never bought this pattern but I like it.

Sewing.....you are welcome. Yes, her patterns are very addicting. Lol.. I've got 4 more pattern books to work on and will likely buy more... Lol..

Thanks Teen! It's about 70" square when finished. No borders but maybe I'll add some, haven't decided about that yet.

Bought the Quilt Lovely pattern. Couldn't resist. And have been hand piecing the double drunkards path. They look better than machine sewing it. Doing fine , except I can't find my favorite sewing thimble. I'm sure it's somewhere right in front of me.

Page 57 of 59 FirstFirst ... 7 47 56 57 58 ... LastLast