Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Jen Kingwell blocks and finished quilts >

Jen Kingwell blocks and finished quilts

Jen Kingwell blocks and finished quilts

Old 11-04-2018, 08:48 AM

OK......I Have no idea what a crumb block is. Would you share a picture of your 9P with it on point. It sounds so tiny. Your skill is awe inspiring when it comes to mini's...
Old 11-04-2018, 08:52 AM

Oh wow, thanks so much Teen!!

I think a crumb block is just what you said, tiny! Made of crumbs....... But OK can explain it better and I might be wrong.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:07 AM

OK you make me laugh. Maybe we are living in parallel houses. I've been working on my 9 patches (4.5" finished) and am about to continue working on my crumbs(4" finished). I have 49 9 patches need 21 more. Have 60 crumb blocks and haven't finished figuring how many more I need.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:54 AM
Power Poster

Wannabee...I love working with small pieces, too. I'm also making 9P for the Burgoyne Surrounded QAL here on the board, but they finish at 3". FYI I have been told I need therapy (are you open for business Teen?) as my quilt friends hand me little bags of scraps!

I keep lots of little pieces for these projects. I don't have any pictures yet of the current project but here are some mini quilts I have made with the tiny crumb blocks...Just bits and pieces of fabric sewn together then cut to the size I want...one square at a time. As you see i have made strips as well as squares. Finished sizes of squares are any where from 1.5 to 2.5 inches. Most of the mini's were donated to the AAQI (Alzheimers Art Quilt Initiative) sponsored by Ami Sims as a way to raised funds for the disease. The blocks I'm making finish at 1.5 inches...then set on point with scrappy light triangles to make a 3" finished square.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:25 AM

LOL. Not sure if I like working with pieces that small. But I love what you have done and the donations that you have made.
About 6 months ago I decided that i had to do something with these bag of scraps I had. Mind you these scraps dated back as early as 1982 when I started quilting. I have never thrown out a scrap (too cheap? - Teen i need help too).
So I started cutting them down and making crumb blocks and from the 2" scraps I made 9 patches for the Eleanor Burns Patches of Life Quilt. Seemed appropriate.[ATTACH=CONFIG]603456[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]603457[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0523.jpg   img_0522.jpg  
Old 11-04-2018, 11:27 AM

OK, you make stunning stuff and so tiny!!!!! Sometimes, when I toss a scrap I think of you and what you would do with those scraps!
Old 11-04-2018, 11:35 AM

Oh Wannabee, gorgeous!!!!! And so my colors Great name for a quilt too!
Old 11-04-2018, 12:18 PM
Power Poster

Thanks, Anael...Like Wannabee I have a hard time throwing bits away. Thanks for sharing the Patches of Life quilt...I make random 9P's when I need to do some mindless sewing..this would be a good project for it! And yes we do live parallel lives. What's the plan for the crumb blocks?

This story about M Ghandi's grandson speaks to me. I'm not saying I waste nothing..because there are many times I toss things whether it's paper, food, or other useful items. I see a lot of waste in this world and know there are people who have so little. We are lucky to live in the society that we do..this makes me stop and think.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...uel-for-change

Last edited by oksewglad; 11-04-2018 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:27 PM

Oh wow....OK.....those are so cool. I will have to try that technique of just sewing bits together and cutting down to size. Really creative. And, it sure fits the name.

Wannabee....super cool projects, too. I keep scraps for applique but now I'm going to try my hand at crumb stuff. Lol...geesh...seriously inspiring, you guys.

I am going to start a group therapy thread on the board. Anael is already part of the group and would welcome new members. However, I fear there is no quick fix short of coma but we'll try...lol...
Old 11-04-2018, 12:46 PM

Teen I said I only have to look in the mirror and..........talk to myself......though that won't be helpful would it? So I'm in.....hahaha. Does it include fabric coupons?