Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Orphaned Blocks QAYG Challenge >

Orphaned Blocks QAYG Challenge

Orphaned Blocks QAYG Challenge

Old 08-12-2012, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by vagabondindigo View Post
I have use wonder under and various fusibles for years, and in regards to if they gunk up needles etc - I DO consider them a glue product. One of my favorite parts aobut using scraps of wonder under - I deliberately place the wonder under in spots I am fairly sure I will not sew, or will only touch glancingly. that way - no gunk build up. Despite a love for fusing, I actually stay away from them if I will be doing heavy quilting in that spot. Which is where fabric glue has saved me. I found refils and the fabric glue pen I was talking about in the fons and porter quilting gadgets area of Joanns this week. that glue goes on thin and doesnt seem to gunk things. for commisioned items or show items I tend to stick with that glue more than any other, because i totally trust what it will do in the long run. I am getting to that point with the elmers craft glue, but i do find it can gunk things up if i am not careful and get blobs in spots. i would think that is true of any glue though.
I have a question on the wonder under - if you use it is strategic spots, do you run into the problem of possible puckers since the fabric doesn't move around it? I saw Nancy Ziemen demo this and wondered the same thing so have been afraid to try it.

I also have tried Fons & Porter's glue stick but I think it is very similar to Sewline's which I really like. I buy it in bulk when I run across a good price.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:46 AM

Wow - Thank you everyone for such nice comments!!! I can't take credit for the fabrics in the Christmas blocks since these were a BOM at a LQS. It was crazy because she offered it in 3 or 4 color ways and I was tempted to do all but only did 2. My crazy quilting buddy did all of them except the 30s and still not sure she's done with them LOL But it was a fun BOM.

On my SIL's quilt, it's similar to a stitch and flip method but on a larger scale. I'm sure Jenniky will get to this down the road. This was my first attempt at this technique and wasn't very happy with the bulk where it was combined. But after seeing Kaye Wood's 6 hour quilt, I will use my serger next time before I add the next piece. But we're getting ahead of ourselves....sorry Jenniky. Just getting excited to see so many learning QAYG and all the tips I'm picking up here.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:52 AM

[QUOTE=vickig626;5434320]This is a quilt I just finished for my SIL. I used a new technique for the main section then the traditional one (what we're learning now) to attach the borders.

I like this method, the front doesnt look like a QAYG, from looking at the back of the quilt I'm guessing it is put together in sections....is that right? Hope we cover this method.

Thanks Jen for this great tute.

Viv
Old 08-12-2012, 09:27 AM

I have used the liquid glue method (Sharon Schamber's) for binding on many quilts. I have not noticed any problem with my BabyLock gumming up at all. Perhaps it is because it takes a while to get around the quilt and get the binding glued on and ironed. The ironing sets the glue and you don't need any pins at all to hold it in place. This is for those who worry about getting glue in their machines. I think if the glue is set, you would not have to worry about it. Just my opinion.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by vickig626 View Post
I have a question on the wonder under - if you use it is strategic spots, do you run into the problem of possible puckers since the fabric doesn't move around it? I saw Nancy Ziemen demo this and wondered the same thing so have been afraid to try it.

I also have tried Fons & Porter's glue stick but I think it is very similar to Sewline's which I really like. I buy it in bulk when I run across a good price.
The original glue pen I got was sewline. Where do you get the refills in bulk? I tend to wait for sales ont he fons and porter items, as they seem to have taken over my local shops. As you may know, thats few and far between.

Do the wonder under dots allow sewing movement - like any fusible if its a heavy duty one they dont move, but light weight ones allow a bit of movement. I find, like any basting and quilting, the 2 keys seem to be - when you baste make sure its all as flat as it gets, and when quilting use the right pressure foot, usually my walker. If freehand, use the freehand foot. If I follow those rules I have very little issue with shifting or puckering.

And, since nothing in life is perfect - with the wonder under dots, if you keep them smaller than an inch, (i tend to go for about 1/2 to 3/4 an inch max) then you can do a quick reposition as needed, even under the machine.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:44 PM

And, since nothing in life is perfect - with the wonder under dots, if you keep them smaller than an inch, (i tend to go for about 1/2 to 3/4 an inch max) then you can do a quick reposition as needed, even under the machine.

I wonder if they have a hole punch in 1/2" or 3/4" size. Maybe we should look into that!!!
Old 08-12-2012, 05:41 PM

OK I pulled out a group o' squares that I had practiced FMQ on last year. I've got 15 o' these I they would go tagether well as a lap quilt. Some o' 'em are quit bad, so I started frog stitchin' on my way ta Brady th'sweekend. I think I gotta rip out 4 or 5 o' 'em. I'll be watchin' ya'll & decide which method is best by the time I finish my frog stitchin'.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:07 PM

So here are my quilted blocks. I tried the Elmer's School Glue, a fabric glue stick & a basting spray. I like the Elmer's Glue best. I haven't decided what I'm using for the sashing, so will have to look to see what I have that matches. Did some free motion, but mostly played around. Some are better than others. I like using the walking foot. I'm improving & iike this method QAYG. Have lots more blocks to add to these too.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]355200[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]355199[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dsc01049.jpg   dsc01050.jpg  
Old 08-12-2012, 06:25 PM

Ok everyone...I spent the day working on putting my center together...got as far as getting all the blocks put together in rows & 2 rows put together. So here goes on hoping to make it alittle easier for others to put together & getting good results.

But, first, I have used the gluesticks for a few years; have never had any problems with my machines or needles. Janome 9000, Viking Designer I, Janome 6600P, & have occassionally used when using my Babylock Evolution serger.

Ok, back to today. to Jenniky's hint about pining the 2 sandwiches together before taking to the machine--kept everything tidy & squared! Pinned the front, then the back & sewed the 1/4" (all in 1 step) for the whole quilt. Then I pressed front up, turned to the back (left that down & everything matched nicely & layed really flat) Here I quickly hand basted the back together (see pic #1), then pressed the back sashing up & glue stick to keep down (no pins), then SITD from the front (I used invisible thread on top, matching thread to sashing color in back & lengthen my stitch to 3.5 to make up for all the thickness.)...turned out perfect! (pic #2) So happy I took the couple extra steps (basting & glue stick); went quickly & was very accurate! Same for putting the rows together. No pins used when sewing the back sashing down--SITD from the front was perfect for the back. And NO frogging at all!! I was very surprised--stayed very relaxed during it all & am enjoying the process! I'm sure it was because I patiently followed all the steps I had taken to ensure I stayed accurate--no hurrying or short-cutting. Hope everyone else has as easy a time as I did. I must say it's alot easier than I first thought it would be! Also, I love the accufeed & ditch accufeed foot on my 6600!

I am taking a day off from sewing tomorrow...you know, life...will get back to it on Tues. to finish & will post pics then. Keep going everyone, you can do it!

BTW, I think I forgot to say in my first posting, that only 1 of these blocks is my orphan block (the sewing machine)...the other 5 are blocks I rescued from an estate sale a couple years ago...I often rescue other quilters orphaned pieces I occassionally run into...I just picked out the orphan I had that matched best for the coloring the others had. Also, the backing fabric is from a different estate sale, as is the batting (don't know the kind of batting; flat like W&N, but white & looks to have some polyester in it but didn't melt when I pressed), & the cream on white for other 6 blocks & sashings is from my stash. No outside shopping or expense on this quilt!
Attached Thumbnails orphan-blocks-qayg-challenge-basted-edges.jpg   orphan-blocks-qayg-challenge-glue-sticked-sitd-showing-back.jpg  
Old 08-12-2012, 06:57 PM

It looks great VickiM. You did a terrific job!