Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2013 Fabric Moratorium (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2013-fabric-moratorium-t209802.html)

SandyinZ4 04-21-2013 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Emma S (Post 6016243)
I think we are walking a fine line between a moratorium and a group of enablers. I keep clinging to the fact that my fabric spending is way way down.

I agree, too. I really don't want to QUIT buying fabric but just joined to try and use from my stash first if I can. I have been lots better about it though since I signed up so I don't feel bad. Glad I am not alone.

earthwalker 04-21-2013 05:03 PM

Went to Textile Traders new store with my Mum.....just bought thread, but was getting jittery near the sale table so had to leave.....Now my Mum thinks I'm getting a bit strange....ARRRGH....can't win:).

nancia 04-21-2013 05:45 PM

well, earthwalker, at least, she thinks you are 'getting weird', rather than you are weird. you have a chance to save yourself! give up quilting and send your stash to me. i will disperse it among the board members. that way we don't shop and you don't make it to weird. weird is an occupational hazard of being a quilter. instead of the crazy cat lady, we're the crazy cloth hoarders! better do it soon before the international rates go up! i'll pm you my address.:D

DustysMomma 04-21-2013 06:06 PM

For me, it's been really good to be part of this. If I can keep my splurges down to only the couple really big sales that Joann has per year and otherwise only buy for swaps, specific projects, or to go with what I have, I consider this a success for me. Even if there are a few enabling moments, the accountability is what keeps me strong when I want to go look or buy more when I go buy for projects.

oksewglad 04-21-2013 07:08 PM

I'm moving and reorganizing my sewing space. That in itself is a pretty big incentive to hold off on buying!!

SpotMurphy 04-22-2013 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Pat625 (Post 6016501)
I was thinking the same thing!! But in actuality being accountable for what we spend helps reduce it for most of us..what we need is a 12 step program!!

Hi, I'm Pat and I am a fabric-o-holic!

Me, too! Pat Murphy

AUQuilter 04-22-2013 07:33 AM

I have halted all buying right now due to the home selling process. I even took some fabric to our local thrift store along with notions and such. Going well! Thanks for the support

Nammie to 7 04-22-2013 09:23 PM

I didn't sign up for this challenge even though that is what I've been doing for quite a while - well since I bought 85 yards of fabric when the LQS had a whole line on sale for 40 to 90% off last summer. It was all in the muted colors that I didn't have any of. I was really good about not buying fabric from July until February when it was the shop hop for this area. I ended up buying about 25 yards of fabric - but it was all for specific quilts. Oh and of course I bought 30 yards of flannel when it was on sale for $2.00 a yard. That is mostly used up already. I make receiving blankets and crochet around the edges. I made a log cabin quilt for my grandson - totally out of my stash. I'm now working on a patriotic quilt, and an applique quilt and a BOM embroidery quilt all from my stash. I have a few more quilts planned for the fabric I already have on hand. I've also been sewing American Girl doll clothes and haven't bought fabric for those either. I've run out of room for fabric - I have the 85 or so yards from last spring stored in the bathtub in the 2nd bathroom - luckily no one uses that bathroom!

deedum 04-23-2013 03:32 AM

I did finish a nice lap quilt. Trying to use up some of my fabric. I did a good deed for someone Sunday, and they gave me FABRIC! So back to square one!

earthwalker 04-24-2013 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by nancia (Post 6017733)
well, earthwalker, at least, she thinks you are 'getting weird', rather than you are weird. you have a chance to save yourself! give up quilting and send your stash to me. i will disperse it among the board members. that way we don't shop and you don't make it to weird. weird is an occupational hazard of being a quilter. instead of the crazy cat lady, we're the crazy cloth hoarders! better do it soon before the international rates go up! i'll pm you my address.:D

Hmmm....should have said "stranger" or "weirder"...and as for the cats....well I have 2, and a whole lot more furred, feathered and finned:). Actually, I was only thinking the other day....what to do with my stash when I pop off the planet....think I'll get someone to distribute it round the QB. So you may get lucky yet:)