Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2013 UFO Challenge of the Month (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2013-ufo-challenge-month-t209986.html)

asimplelife 10-04-2013 09:06 AM

carriem - what a sweet surprise that is!

michelleoc - great finishes! I've always wanted to try prairie points too... good idea to start small! I like the dramatic colors in your big quilt too.

asimplelife 10-07-2013 06:30 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Scrappy Snowball is in the DONE! column... I really had fun quilting this one. I've been wanting to experiment with the serpentine stitch on my Juki F600 so gave it a try in the outer border. I'll definitely be using it again! This quilt is from the book "Quilts from the Heart" by Karin Renaud and it will be donated to Project Linus.

Emma S 10-07-2013 07:05 AM

Asimplelife: I am not stalking you, just in case you were worried. Love your snowball quilt. I would never have thought to put that beautiful stripe in the binding and the boarder but it is perfect for setting off the rest of the quilt, makes me really want to try one. Maybe using scrappy with fussy cut for the snowballs. Is the serpentine stitch a built in stitch on your machine?

QuilterMomma 10-07-2013 07:10 AM

Oh that is adorable. Nice work!

oksewglad 10-07-2013 07:12 AM

asimplelife--I like using the serpentine stitch as well but usually use a narrower st width to use in place of SITD. I really like how you repeat it in your border. Will have to try it this way too.
Emma S--This is a common stitch on most newer machines--may also be called a 3 stitch zigzag.

asimplelife 10-07-2013 08:35 AM

Emma S - No worries! Lol That border was a learning experience for me and I just love it... the pattern called for the background fabric which I no longer had so when I was looking through my stash for another white on white that stripe caught my eye. Then the stripe led to the pink pin dot which I would never considered for the outer border but it just all worked! I have a stripes section in my stash that I started buying for binding - but I loved the stripes as sashing in my ABC Charm Quilt and now again here as the inner border. Guess I'll start looking at stripes a bit more!

oksewglad - Yes this is a built in stitch on my new Juki. I'm thinking about doing all vertical serpentine on one of my next projects now (athough not as dense as I did on this border)... I really like the texture. Great idea to flatten it out for SITD!

Fraew 10-07-2013 07:18 PM

Eeeeek asimplelife! Love it.

michelleoc 10-08-2013 09:29 AM

3 Attachment(s)
asimple life. What great finishes. The colors you used are gorgeous. And I really love how you repeated the stripes in the binding on the snowball quilt. I have a couple of finishes for this month. Yay! Now the pressure is off in case I don't get anything else done...ha![ATTACH=CONFIG]440271[/ATTACH]This is a Halloween Cats quilt that I did as a BOM from Marjory A. Peck (2010) peckspieces.blogspot.com. [ATTACH=CONFIG]440272[/ATTACH]This is Block by Block, from the Big Blocks Quick Quilts book by Suzanne McNeill.[ATTACH=CONFIG]440273[/ATTACH]This is Twirling Thyme. Unfortunately, I gave the pattern away without writing down who created it. Sorry about that!

carriem 10-08-2013 09:51 AM

Always fun to catch up and see what great new projects there are posted.

Emma S 10-08-2013 12:05 PM

Michelle: Absolutely love your Halloween quilt. I especially appreciate it because I am trying my hand at applique and I know how much skill it takes. The Marjory's website is outstanding. Thank you for the link.