Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2016 UFO Challenge of the Month (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2016-ufo-challenge-month-t273926.html)

petthefabric 07-22-2017 12:04 AM

2 Attachment(s)
A quilt buddy and I had a retreat until we finally said, "ENOUGH ALREADY." We get so much accomplished when we quilt together. She'll be back in a week for another 5 days.
This quilt is "Big Blossom". Have used it many times. It's great for 12" square motifs. The horses were from the guild comfort quilt stash. The white with black horses is mine....perfect match. Used a lot of precut squares. Quilting is done and it'll be bound by someone else. The file won't upload, so I'll put it into another reply.

This quilt started with the animals in rows on fabric. The I found the block with the diagonal line at 22.5 degrees. This gave the angles to the quilt. It was pieced last year when we in Calif had been in a drought for 4 years and we'd lost trees. Made me think of the importance of watering holes. Kept adding strips to get color placement and fill in spaces. The ditch work is finished. Just need to do free motion around the animals.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]576983[/ATTACH]

This final quilt started with striped fabric. Found an idea for on point squares made from strips. Used one stripe to frame the on point large square. The torquoise/green/white squares were first 1/2 sq triangle of torquoise/white. The didn't make a strong enough statement so changed them. The quilt was still weak until the dark squares were added as a border. So far I've done some outline straight stitching. Would love some free motion quilting ideas.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]576979[/ATTACH]

petthefabric 07-22-2017 12:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]576984[/ATTACH]
Sorry, the image on the computer is right side up, but turned when uploaded.

happylab 07-22-2017 02:55 PM

MQ, I can understand your loss of quilting time. After my husband retired I lost all of my quilting time I had when he was working. I love having him home, but it slows me down on my quilting. I now spend my evenings with him, and not sewing. I used to do a lot of quilting in the evenings.

Pet, your 3 finishes are lovely. �������� I really like the horse quilt. ��������

I'm I'm working on 2 table toppers for holidays. Both UFO's. Hopefully will finish by next week. I'm working on smaller UFO's as well. I figure another week to complete my BHMQ 2016. I don't consider it a UFO. It's been starring at me since Nov 2016. I did get my 2.5" log cabin top blocks together. I'm not happy with the pattern. I decided to redo a few blocks to get the pattern I wanted. Will need to put it to paper and draft it out 1st. See if I can do what I think I can do. Other wise I will leave it the way it is and send it to the quilter. So disappointing. ��

wildyard 07-22-2017 03:19 PM

Hi everyone!
Just wanted to let you know that this is last year's (2016) UFO thread. You want to be posting in this year's thread which you should find in the same area but it will say 2017. Looking forward to seeing your posts in this year's thread so all your finishes get counted towards our totals!!!

retiredteacher09 07-23-2017 05:24 AM

Petthefabric: I like them all but the horse one is my favorite. You did a great job incorporating the horse blocks. I am going to look at the Big Blossom pattern.

Connie

Janice McC 07-25-2017 02:58 PM

Hello everyone! This is last year's thread. Why don't you head over to 2017's challenge. You will find it here:

https://www.quiltingboard.com/quilti...h-t284858.html

Thanks!

Belfrybat 07-29-2017 09:59 AM

Why can't this thread be taken down from the "sticky" area and the 2017 be put here? That way this thread will gradually drop further down the list.

Janice McC 07-30-2017 08:24 AM

I've contacted admin and they'll get around to it I'm certain.

Originally Posted by Belfrybat (Post 7874376)
Why can't this thread be taken down from the "sticky" area and the 2017 be put here? That way this thread will gradually drop further down the list.