Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2019 UFO Challenge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2019-ufo-challenge-t301919.html)

sewbizgirl 01-26-2019 04:51 PM

Pretty Christmas tree quilt, krisb! I have a similar panel, but with animals around the lit tree in the woods. Hope I finish it. Technically, it's not a UFO yet... it's just a 'too much fabric stash' right now.

I am not going to go rooting up all my possible UFOs. Too terrifying. I am just going to deal with the most "in your face" ones first, then see what else arises. I wouldn't dare try to have a count! (Shudder).

SusieQOH 01-26-2019 05:43 PM

KrisB- that is awesome! Wow, look at the tree border!!!
Thanks for the kind words. My Mom is a wonderful woman and she has a lot of helpers :)

retiredteacher09 01-26-2019 06:36 PM

Welcome tohorse1 and momof3inmn! This is a fun group! I only have 1 UFO but 1 WIP is getting close to that year mark that I use for my personal UFOs.

SusieQOH: I'm glad you were able to move your mom closer to you and your sister. What a sweetheart husband you have for helping take care of your mom.

krisb: Beautiful Christmas tree quilt.

momof3inmn: I grew up in Central MN about 30 miles south of St. Cloud.

WMUTeach 01-26-2019 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by momof3inmn (Post 8200344)
I would love to join this challenge. So I guess the first step is locating all of my UFO's??!! For me, that will require pretty much tearing apart my sewing studio to find where I've stashed them all!! Lol.

I'm curious, why do others end up with UFO's? Boredom? Change in taste/style? Time?

Momof3inmn, I create UFO's aplenty but not on purpose. I just get distracted, Squirrel!!!, by something new, a quick quilt online or a new special project that I just Have to do. Mostly, squirrels. I have finished one quilt this month and have two more that just need binding. I have one more on my January list but the month is going pretty fast. Then, I will fill my bin again for February. I don't do well with one huge pile. It is just too over whelming. I do better with a smaller pile that is reasonable to be finished in a given amount of time. Still have to fight off the squirrels and my desire to give a quilt to every one for any reason.

Welcome to the challenge. Handle your UFO's any way you want. We all work differently and we know what plan of action is reasonable and good for us. We are here to encourage one another to get some of these unfinished projects out of our way and into the hands of others.

tohorse1 01-28-2019 11:00 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Me too, and that is what I do, cover up what is there with another and I think I now have 3 on the same wall and not a clue as to how to start any of them again

kristakz 01-28-2019 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 8198748)
Was the Summer Sampler an Eleanor Burns pattern? She has an entire new book of quilts with log cabins in the settings, that same way. It’s called “40 Fabulous Years”. It commemorates her 40 years in quilting, and because her log cabin pattern is what made her famous, LC blocks are used in every quilt in the book. It’s on my wish list.

No, the summer sampler was from Freshly Pieced - each block designed by a different quilt blogger.

sewbizgirl 01-28-2019 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by kristakz (Post 8201557)
No, the summer sampler was from Freshly Pieced - each block designed by a different quilt blogger.

Oh, ok... it looks like those in Eleanor's latest book. Very pretty.

tohorse1, three very pretty quilts!

SusieQOH 01-28-2019 05:40 PM

Connie, thank you for the kind words. My husband is a huge help! As I said, he and my parents were always close. It was more like father/mother/son, rather than "in-law". My Mom has a huge support system and she deserves it as she was always there for each and every one of us.
While she's in rehab I've been working on an easy flannel kit from Shabby Fabrics. It's amazing how just a little time at the sewing machine each day clears out all the fuzzies that have been in my head since she fell.

retiredteacher09 01-28-2019 07:06 PM

tohorse1: Wonderful finishes!

SusieQOH: I was like that with my inlaws. My mother died at age 60 so my DMIL became my mom and my inlaws would include my dad in things. I was so blessed to have them.

Sync 01-28-2019 07:29 PM

tohorse1, congrats on your finishes.