Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2019 UFO Challenge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2019-ufo-challenge-t301919.html)

oksewglad 03-07-2019 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Teen (Post 8221885)
OK....really pale (muted) blue, orange, green, red, yellow colors from one collection...and, soft pinks.. Mostly floral with a couple of polka dots and check board type prints from collection. One floral has a black background so I'm splashing some black here and there...not a lot but enough to balance it a bit. The main collection is from Fig & Tree Co. Called ".....at heart I am Farmhouse kind of girl". I'm not using all the fabrics since I want this quilt to be soft in color pallet. I'm pulling from other vintage stash for fillers.. I have no idea what this is gonna look like altogether when done but, so far, the blocks are so pretty.

Thanks, Teen...I was thinking they were actual vintage fabrics, not new. Pretty though.

Thanks for sharing the W Ways..I'm with you WMUTeach...not for me either.

sewbizgirl 03-07-2019 05:50 PM

The only hard part to the WW is the center, where everything has to come together. It took me over a dozen blocks to figure out how to sew it so the centers would be right. Once you get that, the rest is gravy.

I have always loved the pattern and had it on my bucket list. Love the illusion of big circles it has.

oksewglad 03-09-2019 10:02 PM

I can chalk up a UFO finish. Last spring the local Binkie Patrol coordinator left quilt tops and backings at our guild for anyone to finish. This is a perfect LA practice for me. Finally got to the last of the tops I had this past week and tonight sewed the backing to the front and it is done. Photo tomorrow.

Pearl40 03-10-2019 02:05 AM

I look forward to seeing your finish, Oksewglad.

Things aren't going so well for me.

UFO #2 - border fabric stuck in customs.

UFO #3 is a mystery quilt that I began in 2017. It is a medallion quilt. When I placed the blocks out on the floor, I found that I had used the wrong four patches to make the central star. I unpicked it and laid it out with the correct ones and found I preferred it the wrong way. This would mean remaking some other blocks and I don't have enough of one of the fabrics. (It's exploding abstract daisy flower batik.) Not sure what to do now. :(

oksewglad 03-10-2019 07:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]610026[/ATTACH] I see lots of ripples on this quilt. There is no batting to help stabilize and the backing is a cheap fleece, but it's what I was given and was a good practice quilt for me.

sewbizgirl 03-10-2019 08:50 AM

That's a cute quilt, OK. Will give some little one a lot of comfort.

rryder 03-10-2019 10:25 AM

Cool winding ways, sew biz--

Ok- that's a sweet comfort quilt

Pearl40- sorry to hear about the UFO troubles-- I've never had fabric stuck in customs, but I can sure relate to your dilemma about the 2nd UFO-- I've been known to unpick and re-sew some quilts multiple times over multiple years before I was happy with them.

Rob

sewbizgirl 03-10-2019 01:22 PM

6 Attachment(s)
I've been playing with those vintage feedsack 2" squares... I guess you could consider it a 60 or 70yo UFO, if you count that someone back then cut all the squares and started a project. I have been putting them together into granny square blocks. Here are the first 12 blocks of 20 I will make. They will have a cream sashing between them, so they won't actually be as crowded as these.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]610048[/ATTACH]

And here are a few block close ups so you can see the feedsacks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]610049[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]610050[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]610051[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]610052[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]610053[/ATTACH]

oksewglad 03-10-2019 01:40 PM

Lucky you to have these fabrics to work with, SBG and great photos, too. Did you know that these fabrics could have been purchased as yardage as well as gleaned from feedsacks? A little tidbit I picked up when our guild hosted a meeting with 2 APS quilt appraisers.

joe'smom 03-10-2019 02:54 PM

Those are wonderful, sewbiz. I love your vibrant winding ways blocks, too.

I finished the 3rd quadrant of my current quilt today, and set it up for quilting the 4th. Getting there!