Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2020 UFO Challenge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2020-ufo-challenge-t308972.html)

Conchalea 09-18-2020 02:45 AM

K finished the binding on quilt #3 for Sept! Yesterday we pulled out the last top from the tub of fabric. This one has lots of black fabric with burgundy & beige & is 90" X 80". We didnt have a single piece large enough for the backing, so we pieced it. During our trip to the thrift store I bought a burgundy tablecloth, 60" X 84". We pieced a 2.5 yard piece of beige on either long side, plus added black pieces to each top. I'm going riding today, so we'll sandwich tomorrow & begin quilting. What will we do for tops after that? K still has fabric & sheets in her tub... But piecing, with its demands for precise seams, doesnt appeal much to her. I think we'll use a light fabric as a base for string blocks & make a string block quilt. She does like sewing those.

retiredteacher09 09-18-2020 04:48 PM

Way to go, K and Conchalea! String blocks sound like a great idea,

Conchalea 09-19-2020 12:56 PM

K worked on quilting the last top today. She's about 1/2 way through. We wont quilt tomorrow or Monday, because we have other things we have to do. Once we can sew again we'll finish quilting, trim it, I'll cut the binding & it will be sewn on. That will complete all the tops from her daughter.

Rff1010 09-20-2020 03:06 AM

Way to go Conchalea! That was quite a pile y'all finished off. All that good that went out into the world. Well done.

rryder 09-20-2020 06:59 AM

Fantastic, Conchalea! Y'all are amazing and all for a good cause, too.

Rob

oksewglad 09-20-2020 08:59 AM

Conchalea, you and your QBuddy have been leaving us in the dust...thanks for sharing your enthusiasm.

Currently working on a new project; hope to have the last couple of seams sewn today and then put an applique on it before quilting. Today we are taking a couple of Grands to the apple orchards east of us.

cherrybsixty 09-20-2020 02:00 PM

Conchalea, you and K have done some beautiful charitable work on those quilts and I'm just proud to hear the story, congratulations to your finishes

Glad, you speaking about apple orchards makes me think of the cider mill just south of Olathe Ks and the sunflower field just west of Olathe Ks, guess I'm missing home

I myself will start to search out where I can rent a hand-held or palm sander and work on my sewing machine cabinet to finish it before fall, because I want to sew on it this winter

Stay safe y'all

cherryb

Teen 09-20-2020 05:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Petthefabric.....thinking of you and worried that you may be effected. The smoke from Calif, Oregon, and Washington fires has blanketed Idaho so my air quality has been “dangerous”. We finally got a cold front and a slight wind that cleared my valley but they say smoke is coming back. So awful what is happening on the West Coast. Amazing that you are thinking of others while being effected, as well.

I finished a 4 month old quilt, finally. I whipped it out pretty quickly, but hung in my closet until I could Minky backing, then it sat with the quilter for 3 weeks, then it hung in my craft closet for 3 weeks waiting for binding. Not an official UFO to my standards but it was a close call.. Backing is a yellow Minkie and is for my disabled cousin (Down syndrome....she turns 49 this year). I had this layer cake forever....

oksewglad 09-20-2020 08:00 PM

Your cousin will love this...the backing alone is so soft and soothing. Well done, Teen.

Sync 09-20-2020 08:38 PM

Teen, that is so bright and cheerful, your cousin will love it.