Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2020 UFO Challenge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2020-ufo-challenge-t308972.html)

petthefabric 07-05-2020 01:15 PM

Cherry: it feels so good. I'd pat me on the back but shoulders would scream and that'd mess up the good feelings.

So I'm set up for the binding. Maybe this straightening will help free my guilty feeling enough so I can concentrate on getting the pictures from my camera into the computer and then post them. I'm making progress getting out of my funk.

retiredteacher09 07-05-2020 04:49 PM

WMUTeach: Great quilt! I like how you have it hanging with skirt/pant’s hangars for a picture.

pettthefabric: I’m glad you are getting out of your funk!

I had planned July to be UFO month but got sidetracked. It’s ok though because I am sewing. Still working on using the cut 6” squares from my church group. Lol!

WMUTeach 07-05-2020 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 (Post 8399437)
WMUTeach: Great quilt! I like how you have it hanging with skirt/pant’s hangars for a picture.

I now keep a set of these hangers in my stash closet for quilt photo shoots. Actually, I saw someone on this board using hangers and did the Homer forehead slap with a loud Duh!. I used to hang my quilts on an old fence for photos, but I moved to a condo and now it is snap of the hangers then snap, snap of the camera. Works just fine! I like outdoor photos, so out I go to my patio and hook them on my slider window.

retiredteacher09 07-05-2020 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach (Post 8399439)
I now keep a set of these hangers in my stash closet for quilt photo shoots. Actually, I saw someone on this board using hangers and did the Homer forehead slap with a loud Duh!. I used to hang my quilts on an old fence for photos, but I moved to a condo and now it is snap of the hangers then snap, snap of the camera. Works just fine! I like outdoor photos, so out I go to my patio and hook them on my slider window.

Thanks for the extra info. My patio door is on a smaller deck so I will need to think of another space. I saw how Jenny Doan had a rod and some clips hanging on her porch. Both ideas are great food for thought.

rryder 07-06-2020 03:40 AM

Beautiful finish WMUTeach, congratulations.

Glad you are recovering from your funk, petthefabric. Looking forward to seeing your pics when you get a chance to post them.

Rob

cherrybsixty 07-06-2020 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by petthefabric (Post 8399389)
Cherry: it feels so good. I'd pat me on the back but shoulders would scream and that'd mess up the good feelings.

Petthefabric, I can appreciate how you feel, I was in a funk a couple years ago and when you come back you really don't want to mess that good flow up, keep an even pace and the juices will keep coming.

Stay safe

cherryb

Quossum 07-08-2020 02:30 PM

I'm back with a finish!

4 Attachment(s)
Hello, all! It's been a while, but finally I have a finish!

The Quilt: I was in a group called The Scrappy Bees. We met every couple of months to exchange blocks, and for the February 2006 (yes, 2006!!!) exchange, we swapped red and pink hearts on white-on-white.

Why it became a UFO: I'm not really into red, pink, or hearts, so I put my squares aside, packing them into a box along with the instruction sheet we'd gotten with the exchange, which recommended putting them together into four-heart blocks arranged sort of like large flowers. There they sat until this year's categorization of UFO's and commitment to finish thereof.

Why finish? Honestly, I could have given these blocks away, but I got to looking at them and thought, instead of a quilt, maybe I could make something else with them. I'd been wanting a fitted crate cover for my larger dog's crate, and this would be a fun challenge, so why not?

The enthusiasm of lockdown was upon me, and I measured and sewed busily!

But then came a dark time of being incredibly busy, then a dark time of being incredibly lazy. I still wanted to keep up with my UFO commitment, but each time I glanced at the quilting room and the partially completed panels hanging on the design wall, what had seemed like a "fun challenge" suddenly seemed overwhelming and too hard, and I just wanted to give up and do something fun and easy, but no, I had told myself that I was not going to continue this UFO-ing! When I started to finish something, I was going to finish finishing it, doggone it!

So, finally, I managed to get myself in gear. I made masks, but did sections of the crate cover project in between. At some point the "hard parts" were past, and it was like I had struggled up a mountain, reached the summit, and was now able to coast down the other side with a lot more enthusiasm as I got closer to finishing. The bias binding to get around the inner and outer bends was actually fun (did the "giant square sewed into a parallelogram / tube" thing to create a continuous strip of bias binding, and of course I ended up short and had to hastily make some more). Once it was done, I loved it!

The quilt's fate: For a heart-spangled project that sat around for 14 years receiving zero enthusiasm, it's funny that now I'm truly feeling the love, and I can't wait until we're able to attend dog events again so that I can show this one off on my dog's crate!

sewbizgirl 07-08-2020 03:31 PM

Great finish, Quossom! You made a nice comfy hideaway out of that crate.

WMUTeach 07-08-2020 04:12 PM

What a fun way to use those unloved blocks. Your four-footed friend is most assuredly loved, so why not make snugly hideaway for shows and travel. Great creativity! .

retiredteacher09 07-08-2020 04:33 PM

Love it, Quossum!