Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunter-2020-2021-winter-mystery-grassy-creek-t312961.html)

Teen 12-29-2020 12:00 PM

auntjo...units looks amazing....loving the colors..

joes'mom....you are on a roll!! Go, girl!

I went back through the clues and made a couple more units of each part just in case. Working on my King quilt today and just chilling for the day!

SuzSLO 12-29-2020 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Teen (Post 8447311)
auntjo...units looks amazing....loving the colors..

joes'mom....you are on a roll!! Go, girl!

I went back through the clues and made a couple more units of each part just in case. Working on my King quilt today and just chilling for the day!

Teen: Your very brave to be making more units already. I have been tempted, but have held out in case I have to redo one or more of my color choices.

Wonky star 12-29-2020 05:25 PM

I'm still here! Working away, improving by leaps and bounds. I wrote a whole big post and lost it. The short version is I am happy with my progress but I am not going to be done any time soon.

Also, tiny 9 patches are my favorite! I could have made those all day.

jmoore 12-30-2020 04:09 AM

Although I am not participating in this year’s BH, I enjoy watching everyone’s progress and loving the fabric combinations. Hats off to those who are doing both mysteries and any other projects while keeping up with Grassy Creek.

Macybaby...love the fabulous quilt on your LA. What piecing method did you use for the blocks...Did you just sew scrappy pieces and then trim down?

Macybaby 12-30-2020 10:48 AM

Jmoore, I used the basic layout from Pintangle for 8.5" UF blocks and used 10" squares of muslin to draw the basic lines on the back. The are designed so you can start with the center and work your way out, sewing and flipping the fabric like you'd do with paper piecing. Since I used muslin, there weren't any papers to remove afterwards. I'd been collecting lace and trims for some time, and had several fat quarter bundles of neutrals, and then just let my imagination play. I used invisible thread to zigzag down the loose edges of the lace and trims, and then used machine embroidery thread and did a lot of fancy machine stitching.

For most of the blocks, the lace, trims and embroidery were added as pieces were added so the next fabric could conceal the edges. For most of it, I was using three machines. My straight stich for the basic sewing, then a zigzag machine for the invisible thread, and then my embroidery machine for the fancy stitches (I used several different shades of gold/off white thread). I kept going in spurts, would work on it for 3 -4 days and then get tired of it all and pack it all up for another 6 months and then get motivated and pull it out again. That's mainly why it took about 6 years to fully complete.

My thread should arrive next Monday. I was hoping it might show up before the weekend but it looks like it's not going to happen.

Teen 12-30-2020 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Wonky star (Post 8447450)
I'm still here! Working away, improving by leaps and bounds. I wrote a whole big post and lost it. The short version is I am happy with my progress but I am not going to be done any time soon.

Also, tiny 9 patches are my favorite! I could have made those all day.

I think BH mystery is a really good project to improve skills since we are making so many of the same units. We improve with practice so good to hear you are feeling more confident in your skills. And tiny 9P’s are like puppies...so so cute...

Macybaby 12-31-2020 04:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here are all my clues, ready for the next round.

SuzSLO 12-31-2020 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby (Post 8447936)
here are all my clues, ready for the next round.

Cathy: Your units look wonderful. I can already see a beautiful quilt forming from your hard work.

joe'smom 12-31-2020 07:57 AM

Macybaby, that's an interesting mask, as well as lovely units.

It's a race against time for me today, to see how close I can come to getting caught up. I'm about half-way through pressing/trimming my clue 4s, and I've pressed some different neutrals for my clue 5 geese. I'm going to use the Wing Clipper method, so only 9 different grays but all different neutrals. I'm about halfway done pressing/trimming my clue 2s.

Teen 12-31-2020 10:53 AM

Great units, Macybaby..

joe’smom......you’ll be caught in no time... take care of yourself..