Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunter-2020-2021-winter-mystery-grassy-creek-t312961.html)

Macybaby 01-01-2021 05:53 AM

Happy New Years! Gonna get to work on clue 6 before the MM clue is posted in about an hour.

joe'smom 01-01-2021 10:19 AM

Here's the link to today's clue:

https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2021...-part-six.html

Last week I thought I might have an idea of what the quilt design was, but this clue blows my idea out of the water.

The last time I made string blocks was for Good Fortune, and I ended up not using them because I found them too distracting. This time I'll go for a more blended look, rather than high contrast between my strips.

But I'm going to finish up my previous clues before I start thinking about this one.

jillmc 01-01-2021 03:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I thought Clue 6 would be released tomorrow, because of the holiday...so it was a nice surprise to see it today! I scrounged around and found an old phone book, and made 2 string blocks. I am on the fence about these, so I may wait until the reveal to make a decision. They were fun to make...but may be too busy for my quilt, as I am not doing total scrappy.
All of your blocks are so pretty-I love seeing all of the color combinations! I have no idea how these pieces will be put together!

On a bright note, my sweet husband finished my sewing table, and my machine is now recessed! What a difference it makes!
I will sand it and apply several coats of urethane-hopefully this weekend. Also need a new chair...any suggestions?

Joe’smom, hope your back is improving!
Happy Healthy New Year!

Macybaby 01-01-2021 03:52 PM

I think I've got enough strips cut for the next clue. Using 1.5" strips, it's taking about 2.5 yards of fabric to make blocks that make up 1.125 yard finished. I've used up my brown scraps and cut strips from about 5 larger yardage ( 1 WOF each).

TX325 01-01-2021 05:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Caught up! Happy New Year!

joe'smom 01-01-2021 06:46 PM

TX325, those look great!

jillmc, thanks for the well wishes, and congratulations on having your table finished! Yay, sweet husband!

I said I would finish the other clues before starting clue 6, so what did I fiddle with today? Strings, lol. I had some leftover gray strings from another project and it looks like I'll be able to get about seven phone book pages out of those; I'll have to cut the rest.

Mkotch 01-02-2021 03:26 AM

I'm on the fence with Clue #6. I have plenty of gray fabric, both prints and solids, but I hate to cut up "virgin" fabric to make strings. Am thinking about just cutting them to size for this clue as the result would still be scrappy. I didn't do the scrappy orange strings for Good Fortune and regretted it.

SuzSLO 01-02-2021 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Mkotch (Post 8448690)
I'm on the fence with Clue #6. I have plenty of gray fabric, both prints and solids, but I hate to cut up "virgin" fabric to make strings. Am thinking about just cutting them to size for this clue as the result would still be scrappy. I didn't do the scrappy orange strings for Good Fortune and regretted it.

I had enough strip scraps left over from other parts of Grassy Creek to do a few string blocks. I liked the look of them enough that I decided to do more, even if it meant cutting into my fabric. But, really, what’s the difference between cutting a 2” strip to make a triangle unit or a string unit? My biggest concern is that I only have about 15 different fabrics in the color I’m using for grey (and some of those are running really low). I have already added a few other fabrics that I previously rejected as too dark or too light. Still, I may need more fabric before I can finish this week’s clue.

Edited to add: Someone on Instagram posted photos of their Week 6 unit which they pieced in three equal strips, before adding the triangle corners. It was their compromise between randomly sized strings and not-pieced.

Teen 01-02-2021 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Mkotch (Post 8448690)

I’m not doing the string way, either. I worry since these are kind of large pieces compared to all the parts of the quilt. I’m taking the chance so we’ll see.

Teen 01-02-2021 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by TX325 (Post 8448607)
Caught up! Happy New Year!

Gorgeous!...