Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunter-mystery-quilt-2017-en-provence-t283327.html)

q.alba 11-13-2016 11:03 AM

Joe's Mom (Lisa), thanks for the black and white photo of Carol in WI's fabrics. It reminds me that I need to do this (take a b & w photo) to see the values of the fabric. I finally started pulling fabrics yesterday, laid them out together, and then stuffed them in a bag but I going back and getting them out and take a photo because I am not sure about some of them. I am also going to try SewBizGirl's suggestion of squinting. Thanks for all helpful advice! Wonderful group!

Carol in WI 11-13-2016 02:35 PM

5 Attachment(s)
OK, I'm back again with these choices and can not tell you all how much I appreciate the time all of you are giving me in choosing fabrics! I'm not sure I like most of the light purples and may have to go shopping. If you see anything in these that scream out to be remove, feel very free to tell me as my "squint meter" is a bit rusty. Thank you again ~

Kassaundra 11-13-2016 03:49 PM

Carol, the only thing I see according to how it shows on my screen, these may be off in life. I would switch the last purple in the dark purple group w/ the second fabric in the light purple group.

CGS 11-13-2016 06:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm in on the mystery quilt. I am a very new quilter so I'm hoping that it won't be too difficult. If nothing else, I hope to learn a lot. I don't have much of a stash so I did a little shopping. I still need to get a few more but I wanted to see what you experts think of how I'm doing so far. I have very few neutrals so I've got to work on that too.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]562164[/ATTACH]

joe'smom 11-13-2016 07:31 PM

Carol, the lavender and purple Kassaundra mentioned are sort of in the middle as far as value -- they're a bit dark for the lavender but light for the purple; I would try that switch she mentioned, and maybe try them both as lavenders, too. Otherwise, I think your fabrics look great and you're good to go.

CGS, what absolutely wonderful fabrics! I'd probably take out the lightest green and the lightest purple (small print), but see what others think.

AngeliaNR 11-13-2016 07:37 PM

Contrast in value is important, but don't underestimate the contrast from color--value isn't everything. Relax, try it, see how you like it--this isn't a contest; it's playtime. :)

sewbizgirl 11-13-2016 10:39 PM

Your fabrics look awesome, CGS! Wish I had your collection. The magenta is really cool.

sewbizgirl 11-13-2016 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR (Post 7698765)
Contrast in value is important, but don't underestimate the contrast from color--value isn't everything. Relax, try it, see how you like it--this isn't a contest; it's playtime. :)

Exactly! PLAYTIME. You don't have to get it exactly right to have a wonderful quilt! PLAY! :p

QuiltingVagabond 11-14-2016 04:48 AM

I agree about value vs color. I think Bonnie's palette this time has some colors with similar value (where b&w photos don't show much contrast) but are different enough to play well.
What I am finding the trickiest is those medium purples/lavendars that could go either way. I put those aside until I see how the pieces are going together and may not use them at all.

Macybaby 11-14-2016 06:12 AM

I was looking in my stash for fabric for bindings, and found three tubs of fat quarters I'd not gone through when pulling for this mystery. Hopefully I can add more variety to my selection, and I'd rather use up fat quarters I'd forgotten about. I think some of the larger prints may be problematic, especially if there is a lot of color difference. When you cut them into 2" squares or smaller HST, you can end up with pieces that aren't the correct color at all for what it's suppose to be.