Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunters-2019-2020-frolic-mystery-t307758.html)

Iceblossom 01-21-2020 09:30 AM

If your color range is fairly narrow, I don't think it makes that big a deal about them matching the pinwheels, it helps to reinforce the circular aspects of the design if they do. But so does using just one fabric for the Parakeet/Green.

I was going to take other things but I'm going to try and pin up some of block units at my small group today. I still only want to sew two sets at a time, but I think I can at least get the subunits ready for the rest of the blocks and keep them clipped together. I really expected to spend yesterday sewing and not thrift shopping and goofing off with the hubby. So although I've been slacking the last few days, I'm feeling the pressure of wanting to get this Frolic done and move on to other things.

I think I will be completing it exactly as Bonnie designed it with the sawtooth border. Don't know when it will be quilted, depends on if someone really likes it and wants it, otherwise it was always meant for donation. I had found a great piece of fabric for the binding but wanted to see what the reveal was, I think it will be excellent -- but I need to dye test it first! I think it is a commercially prepared piece but not sure, a rather nice stripped effect batiky thing in nice colors. I like using stripes in bias binding, it adds movement that I appreciate.

origamigoldfish 01-21-2020 09:34 AM

I am loving everybody's finished blocks!

Didn't make as much progress this weekend as I wanted to, my oldest cat is ill and I have been babying her instead of sewing. I did finish clue 8 this morning, going to cut my neutral squares this afternoon and hopefully start piecing blocks.

If I can get through all of my planned projects this year, I am going to make a second frolic quilt in red white and blue for my father for christmas. I really like the pattern, and I think with the right fabric choices it will make a nice masculine quilt for his bed. For him I would do more solids to play up the contrast, or tone on tone prints to keep it a little quieter. I personally love the busy of a controlled scrappy quilt, but it wouldn't be to his taste.

It will also give me a chance to experiment with different ways of making the pieces than the ones I chose this time around! I have all of the clues saved on my computer, but I might actually buy the pattern to see if she presents it differently in the paid version.

JeanieG 01-21-2020 11:58 AM

AlvaStitcher - your blocks came out great!!! I love all the ones people are posting!

I have five blocks done and up on my design wall. I am using the sashing strips as my leader/enders like many others! I will complete all the blocks before working on the corners and half blocks. I am also not caring for the border....maybe make them into pinwheels???

I am like Audsgirl - I always follow Bonnie's colors, then I know I won't make a horrific mistake!

I see so many completely done on Facebook! I like to take my time and enjoy putting these together.

suern3 01-21-2020 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH (Post 8353331)
I must not be able to read directions!!!
The 4 blocks (HST's) around each block are not the same fabrics as the geese. Have no idea how I did that.
Last night I sorted everything out. Today I will be redoing a lot of HST's because I can see that it makes a difference.
I need to go back to school haha

SusieQ- this is exactly what I did, also! I don't know how because I read and re-read, I thought. This is just the first mistake I found. I bet there are more. Yesterday I used the squares I had. Today I made new ones. I only made one third of the blocks. First mystery I've tried so didn't want to start so big. Even though it was fun anticipating the new clues and keeping up with everyone's posts, the actual process may not be for me. We will see.

QuiltingLawyer 01-21-2020 03:10 PM

You guys are making me blush with all the compliments!!! If you like my color combo then you would like my house... I pulled the paint chips for all the colors we used painting our house. It is our first home and will be our forever home. It's lots of grays and purples and aquas. I figured it would match the house so it wouldn't matter if I didn't like the pattern completely. I think I'm gonna like this quilt. Just to get all the blocks made.... that's the hard part! There's no messing around with these!

PamelaOry 01-21-2020 04:14 PM

Wow! Such beautiful blocks. My son is still visiting from NY, so no quilting happening at my house this week. More time for me to see pictures of your fabulous results and become re-energized and excited about finishing.

IrishNY 01-21-2020 04:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So I have nine done and that will be it for 10 days or so. Long days at work this week and next, and traveling this weekend. I too am thinking of not putting the blocks on point. I guess I have plenty of time to make a decision about it.

retiredteacher09 01-21-2020 04:48 PM

Wow! I sat this mystery out but I have really enjoyed the pictures. I look forward to seeing a finished quilt or top.

Wildyard: I love the border on your orphan block. I need to remember it for some of the bigger blocks.

peaceandjoy 01-21-2020 05:57 PM

Thank you for the kind comments on my block. I've got 4 done and 3 more half done. I'm doing block by block to keep everything straight, and finding my Lori Holt design boards really helpful. (My Christmas present to myself, but for years made the ones that she provides a tutorial for.)

I love seeing the variety of fabrics used, and some of the changes in layout! I've been doing Bonnie's mysteries since 2009, and this is the 3rd time I've followed her colors. Carolina Christmas was my first and I love(d) it. I like the colors of this one a lot, so decided to use them. It's a little on the pink side, I didn't have the darker color Framboise in my stash and was determined that this would be stash only, except for the back.

On my UFO goal list for this year are several almost finished mysteries from before my retirement. One of them, Grand Illusion, I really struggle with. I used the suggested colors and just do not love it. I can't decide if i'm going to finish it as suggested, give it away for somebody else to finish (did I mention that the blocks are almost all done, as is the sashing?) or figure out some other layout.

Things to think about while plodding away on Frolic. No more UFO's!!

SusieQOH 01-21-2020 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by suern3 (Post 8353502)
SusieQ- this is exactly what I did, also! I don't know how because I read and re-read, I thought. This is just the first mistake I found. I bet there are more. Yesterday I used the squares I had. Today I made new ones. I only made one third of the blocks. First mystery I've tried so didn't want to start so big. Even though it was fun anticipating the new clues and keeping up with everyone's posts, the actual process may not be for me. We will see.

Well I'm not alone!!!
I still don't know how it happened but I'm not going to stress over it.
Today I finished doing the HST's correctly- glad I had the fabric to do so.
Mine all came from my stash as some of the others said. I think I'm going to like it but
let me just say right now I'm a little dizzy looking at all those fabrics! I have tons left over,
triangles, hst's, who knows what else lol