Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunters-2019-2020-frolic-mystery-t307758.html)

Rhonda K 11-23-2019 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by PamelaOry (Post 8331287)
On her blog she declined to include the die information for using an accuquilt machine. Will she include it with the clues do you think or will we be on our own to figure it out?

Pam,
It was mentioned previously that she won't include the dies. There are a couple of us here on the boards that will help coordinate the dies. Do you have individual dies or the cubes? Do you have the strip dies?

Belfrybat 11-23-2019 07:02 AM

Kristi - great colour choices. It's making me reconsider my green. I wanted a bright "grassy" green but tried to stay within her values. Hmmm. Thinking.....

Belfrybat 11-23-2019 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by kathryn7887 (Post 8331139)
Belfrybat--Marble Falls isn't a visit without coffee at the blue bonnet café. I use to have quite a bit of family there. Long drive but so worth it. Have a great day.

Kathryn

I agree! I used to live about 30 mins from MF. Miss the area a lot.

givio 11-23-2019 07:23 AM

In person, at a recent Bonnie Hunter class, she was asked about the Accuquilt dies needed for Frolic. She responded that she would not include instructions about which one to use for any clues of her mysteries. She said it gave away too much information and ruined the secret involved in a mystery. She wouldn't tell the one person who asked her either-- I suppose she believed the person might tell others.

PamelaOry 11-23-2019 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda K (Post 8331338)
Pam,
It was mentioned previously that she won't include the dies. There are a couple of us here on the boards that will help coordinate the dies. Do you have individual dies or the cubes? Do you have the strip dies?

. I have the 12 and 6 in cubes and a few individual dies. I have a 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 strip dies. Thank you!

joe'smom 11-23-2019 10:01 AM

Kristi, your fabric combo is wonderful!

I wonder what color group we will use first, and what kind of unit we will make. Less than a week to go!

Iceblossom 11-23-2019 10:09 AM

I'd really love to see some of the packs acquired from quilt shops and such. That seems like it would be such a fun box to get...

If there is anyone still on the fence and who would like the paint chips, I have one set I can send. But part of the fun for some of us is making what we have available work and as you can see we have some wide interpretations of the existing colors and fabrics. All I know about mine is that it will be bright. And the colors won't run! What I saw as potential in the bag of fabric was a very masculine and bold wide log cabin in browns and greens, as it turns out the fabrics for this project are really the leftovers from that initial idea.

Doing this sort of project with this sort of fabric is a huge step for me, usually I am pretty control freak in my projects. I run mystery projects more than I do them! But on the other hand, I donate more tops than I gift or keep, so the worst case is that some one is kept warm and that is not a bad outcome at all. Other than my time and effort and a few supplies, I'm only out a few bucks with these hand-dyes. I'd be a lot more control freaky if I was paying $14/yard for my fabric!

I also have the luxury of time to sew with very few other demands put on me and this project came along at a good time so I expect I'll be doing the steps as released, but the nice thing is that nobody sets our schedules but us. You can wait and see and do it later and chances are there will still be other people doing it about the same pace as whatever you set for yourself. Or you may just wish to put your time into other projects entirely, but still come in and check out what happens as the year progresses.

suern3 11-23-2019 02:13 PM

Kristi, I like your colors and inspiration fabric. Cute! Very nice idea to be able to use it for a donation quilt and have the fun of the mystery quilt.

kathryn7887 11-23-2019 03:05 PM

Jumping in

I bought fabric at Joann's today. I bought what was needed I don't have a stash for it. And I can't get the pictures to post. But I like my fabric. Looking forward to it

LyndaOH 11-23-2019 04:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm looking forward to next Friday and our first clue! Plus, Thanksgiving will be over with and my house will be back to normal - yippee!

I got my set of fabrics from quiltedtwins.com; I'm going to be subbing out with fabrics from my stash that are closer to Bonnie's colors.

From left to right in the photo:
1st column - perfect neutrals
2nd column - the fuschia/raspberry fabrics really missed the mark. The first fabric is really light, and the second and third have a rust background. The fourth and fifth will work as the lightest of that color grouping. The greens are good colorwise; I'll have to see how the middle one works as it is directional.
3rd column - I'm not quite sure what to think. The first three are supposed to be aqua, the second three are supposed to be light blues and the last five are supposed to be darks. I'm going to use the first three as part of my neutrals or not at all; the second three as aquas; the third three as light blues and I'll replace the bottom two with darks that are more like darker versions of the light blues. I expected them to lean a bit more purple than turquoise, and both the background and the print on them is very turquoise.

I'll pull some other fabrics as soon as I can and show you what I come up with, but I'd love your input on if I'm on the right track.

I'll probably stick with my own stash in the future; I was trying to save myself some time!

Thanks all!