Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunters-2019-2020-frolic-mystery-t307758.html)

Belfrybat 11-29-2019 10:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Half way there! Of course I'm only making half the units to begin with as I plan on making a throw quilt. So... this is half of the half. In past mysteries I've sewn up all the units in each clue and then done the trimming and pressing. This year I'm working smarter and making smaller batches. Trimming and pressing umpteen units at one time is a pain.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]620340[/ATTACH]

kathryn7887 11-29-2019 10:49 AM

Belfrybat, thank you for the idea. I have never done one of these mysteries. Thinking I should probably stop by next week and pick up a little more fabric just to be on the safe side.

kristijoy 11-29-2019 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts (Post 8334082)
that is correct Kristi.
What Janome did you buy? I've been a New Home/Janome girl since I was 15 and bought a used one from a neighbor.

I bought a Janome 6700! Actually my Mom bought it for me for Christmas! :)

toverly 11-29-2019 02:23 PM

Kalama, that is an awesome Not Ringo Star. Did you just scrap it all up or actually pick colors. I love it.

Kassaundra 11-29-2019 02:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I did the same thing, made all the parts but liked my layout better so made "Ringo's Sister" (same DNA different look)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]620342[/ATTACH]

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts (Post 8334082)
that is correct Kristi.
What Janome did you buy? I've been a New Home/Janome girl since I was 15 and bought a used one from a neighbor.

I've chosen 30's fabric, always so cheerful. Have a pile of blue and pinks cut. I love making little 4 patches.

As an example of how you can make the mystery, and still not make it :)
This is Ringo Lake, https://quiltville.com/shop.html#!/O...egory=13038426
I made all the units along with everyone else, only in my own colors, but when it came time for the reveal and I went to my working wall to put it together, I changed everything. So I call it Not Ringo Lake. and I love it, and still had my 'comfort food' of making the mystery.

Did you ever see two more different quilts? Yet it is all the same units.

that small quilt on the left is made from mystery leftovers, I think Celtic Solstice and the Illusion one

TeresaA 11-29-2019 02:42 PM

My alternative arrangement via not following the color directions at all is resulting in a less than satisfying experience. Sooo, I had two possibilities, conform to the color scheme or armchair quarterback the experience and decide later if I want to make it ;-). I looked out on Instagram and I see that people have the raspberry and blue blocks covered without my help!

Soooo, it is a football day, sooooo armchair quarterback it is. I will be out here cheering you all on. I can't wait to see how it goes for you.

jmoore 11-29-2019 03:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 (Post 8333924)
Jmoore: Congratulations on the new grandbaby.

Thanks Connie...I just wish I didn’t live so far from them. [ATTACH=CONFIG]620343[/ATTACH]

kristijoy 11-29-2019 03:25 PM

Oh Jmoore. He is beautiful! <3:boy:<3

joe'smom 11-29-2019 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by TeresaA (Post 8334211)
My alternative arrangement via not following the color directions at all is resulting in a less than satisfying experience. Sooo, I had two possibilities, conform to the color scheme or armchair quarterback the experience and decide later if I want to make it ;-). I looked out on Instagram and I see that people have the raspberry and blue blocks covered without my help!

Soooo, it is a football day, sooooo armchair quarterback it is. I will be out here cheering you all on. I can't wait to see how it goes for you.

Darn, your florals looked so promising!

jmoore, beautiful baby!

WMUTeach 11-29-2019 04:49 PM

Saved the first step of Frolic for later cutting and sewing. Like others, I have prior commitments but this first step is an easy one and a good step for working on skills of being consistent and exact. Love to twirl my seams. I learned that a number of years ago and find I use it often even when a pattern does not call for it. Makes a smoother finished quilt top. Happy patching everyone.