Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunters-2019-2020-frolic-mystery-t307758.html)

KalamaQuilts 11-26-2019 08:51 AM

did you know in some cities it is illegal to whistle or wear a mask on the street? Sounds crazy, but rules come about because people push things too far.

Thinking back over the years, there was even a group who refused to abide by the few guidelines there were, that started their own Quiltville facebook group in a huff.
There were people who wanted to be youtube stars who, once a clue came out, would do the whole clue step by step.
There are always people who have a 'better way' to make the units.... this is probably where the biggest need for the rules came in, as noted above, sometimes they don't come out right, and people blamed Bonnie in great big loud voices :)

Not taking extra paint chips rule...people would take the whole stack and then offer to send the to people. Probably well meant but a needy way to make friends and leaves no paint chips or locals which is really rude.

There is just So many ways quilters have pushed the envelope on this fun free resource. That there needs to be rules is sad, but they are pretty simple, and like the one with not showing the pieces with rulers or cutting mats, those new sharing progress images have made some really beautiful and striking photos that makes the link ups even more fun.

And for those who say I won't make a mystery because I might not like it, zero problem with that, but speaking for myself, I've made plenty of quilts I wasn't crazy about when finished, and we hear people say that all the time here :) So while a perfectly acceptable reason, not one that holds much water. I know I don't like samplers, and can't do applique to my standards any more so I wouldn't participate in those types of mysteries or BOMs. I like small pieces, complicated quilts, so one the New Years Day mysteries wouldn't hold my interest.

My dear friend Joan, who has been quilting since 1976 did her first BH mystery last year. She doesn't like it, but has said a number of times she can't believe how much better her piecing is now, she can't believe how sloppy her work was that she felt was always perfectly acceptable before.

I still haven't picked fabric, I think because I've been sick for months and will be having surgery next month. But I'll still be pulling myself up to the cutting table Friday :) because the mystery is a 'thing' for me now, started in 2011 the same week I started daily radiation for 3 months for breast cancer. It was a way to take me outside myself. I'll always be grateful. And sorry we need rules, but understand because I've seen the free for all no rules creates.

SooBDo 11-26-2019 09:37 AM

Thank you, Kalama. You have said what needs to be said, and reinforced that Quilting Board is a safe place where there are no Quilt Police, only friends who share unafraid their progress, fabric choices, and puzzles. No one means harm here, there is just encouragement. Going into this mystery with that spirit is more than half of the pleasure of such an endeavor. You aren't alone!!

Sandra-P 11-26-2019 10:29 AM

Kalama, Will be sending healing thoughts your way. Thank you for explaining the why there are rules.

JeanieG 11-26-2019 11:23 AM

Wish Quilting Board had a "Like" button! I sure need one for Kalama!

wildyard 11-26-2019 11:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm in and ready to go, except for pressing my scraps. Everyone else's look so neat and tidy, but not mine. LOL I was able to pull all from stash and am excited to begin my first time as a BH mystery quilter!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]620239[/ATTACH]

Queenbarbiej 11-26-2019 11:33 AM

Wildyard that is some stash you have. I wish I had that much.

wildyard 11-26-2019 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Queenbarbiej (Post 8332946)
Wildyard that is some stash you have. I wish I had that much.

Oh girl, you don't know the half of it. I love scraps and save them all. I am also delighted when others choose to share their scraps with me. I make mostly scrappy comfort quilts and keep busy at it. I have a Jewel Box to post but am waiting till the quilt is received by the recipient.

Iceblossom 11-26-2019 12:32 PM

Loving the fabric choices both from stash, pre-assembled kits, and single fabrics, thanks all for sharing. It's part of the fun of this sort of thing is to see the different interpretations. Part of the fun for me is also in doing a group project, it's a different sort of thing from being a solo quilter even though we aren't exchanging blocks or anything (actually prefer it that way).

I brought my home dyes to Tuesday group and the vote was to go with the brighter colors for the Skada/Medium instead of the paler colors that were closer to the paint chip. When you looked at it with the bright yellows and the bright aqua, I needed more color even though I had enough that were closer to the paint chip. Sorted the stacks and I am good to go! My water heater tank has been replaced (it is so nice to have the house quiet instead of the constant sound of water running) and the car is still not ready, waiting on getting the sensor back. I'm figuring with the holiday that I should hope for next Tuesday to be ready, and so if it is ready before that it will be happy.

So for the next couple of days I'm going to try and get the blocks of the unnamed/next project I'm currently working on. Pinned together flying goose units today at group, some of my seams are horrendous -- still getting used to using the Brother. Blocks will start going together fast and maybe I can be at least done with them before Friday.

toverly 11-26-2019 01:17 PM

Everyone's colors are looking great! Hard as I try, I can't get into this one. I may improvise as I go along. I liked BH suggestion to only make 12 of each to see how it went together.

joe'smom 11-26-2019 03:06 PM

KalamaQ, I'm so sorry to hear you have not been feeling well. I hope things will improve for you soon.