Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunters-2019-2020-frolic-mystery-t307758.html)

Theodora 12-31-2019 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts (Post 8345648)
Theodora, you don’t need more quarter squares for this clue, just half square tris to finish the sides of the quarter squares in order to turn them into flying geese. Be careful when using the cut big and just trim method to be sure you have your full 1/4 inch top or all your points will be cut off when you start assembling your geese.

The problem is that the quarter square triangles cut from the squares in step 4 are too big for the geese triangles in step 6.

joe'smom 12-31-2019 12:35 PM

Theodora, Bonnie specifies the size of square to cut the geese triangles from if you've cut your QSTs from the large square; is that the size that is not working?

wildyard 12-31-2019 01:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts (Post 8345543)
oh my gosh, I'd have bet she'd never do this...but Clue 6 is up. On a Tuesday :)
https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2019...ry-part-6.html Oh goodie goodie gumdrops

edited to add: Oh she is sneaky...but we've got half the cutting already done from clue 4.
More goodie goodie gumdrops!

Wow what a surprise getting a bonus clue today. I also thank you for the head's up KalamaQuilts. I would never have even thought to look for one. Luckily I finished clue 5 this morning, so I can get right to work on #6. I have cut a few of the triangles but my back and legs are not happy today, so taking a break. Clue 5:

KalamaQuilts 12-31-2019 01:08 PM

I think I've figured out what I'm doing wrong by looking at the finished clue 6 photos on Quiltville Friends. I'm not supposed to be making flying geese with my yellow strips. No wonder it seem like so many!

Theodora 12-31-2019 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom (Post 8345656)
Theodora, Bonnie specifies the size of square to cut the geese triangles from if you've cut your QSTs from the large square; is that the size that is not working?

Yes, but I guess I’ll just wait fo more info on the next directions.

PamelaOry 12-31-2019 01:53 PM

Wow! I went from feeling like I had it under control to failing miserably all in the space of a few hours. I am terrible at flying geese and these have so many little peculiarities.... uggh. I have no idea how I am going to complete 41 sets! Will we still be getting a clue Friday? Now I feel so behind.

Queenbarbiej 12-31-2019 02:09 PM

I'm glad I did not cut my quarter square triangles in clue 4. Instead I will make my flying geese the Eleanor Burns way - four at a time flying geese. I've made that way before and they came out better than the no waste flying geese or the way Bonnie is having us do them.

origamigoldfish 12-31-2019 02:24 PM

I finished my clue 5 HSTs this morning...have been pressing them and trimming dog ears in spurts this afternoon. I was not expecting an extra clue today. It is a good thing I have an extra day off this week!

I have never made flying geese before, so I'm excited to learn them. My greens are just as scrappy as all of my other colors, so I'm curious to see how mine will turn out.

Theodora 12-31-2019 02:56 PM

OK, back to flying geese after working on other projects for a while and, I can’t say why exactly, but everything fits. Just got turned around this morning, I guess. Thanks for the advice. (You’d never know I’ve made this block hundreds, maybe thousands, of times before!)

Iceblossom 12-31-2019 03:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got my Red/Neutral HST pressed this morning and trimmed in group today. Been slacking and had a pain in my back, finally had to lower the ironing board to sitting height to get them done in time. And just in time for the new clue!

So my first true complaint of this project -- egads, keeping these pieces together for step 6 is going to be horrible for me. I truly hate sewing just 4 things at a time but I don't see any way out of it with keeping everything together. No wonder she only used one fabric for Parakeet.