Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunters-2019-2020-frolic-mystery-t307758.html)

LarasAussies 12-31-2019 04:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Kalama- thanks for the heads up on the clue today... I’m joining in but changed my colors just a bit. I finally just finished On Ringo Lake from 2017 and still need to finish the back of the 2018 Good Fortune but the great thing is that as long as I save the clues I can work at my own pace! I’m using the yellow-gold for the aqua and grey as the neutral. I wanted a lower contrast quilt so hopefully this works out but so far I love how the colors play together. I’m up to clue 4 and will work on 5 and now 6 tomorrow to get caught up. I love all the different combinations so far in this thread.

joe'smom 12-31-2019 04:19 PM

LarasAussies, those are looking wonderful!

I will be going slightly scrappy for clue 6, as the single green I had deemed the best did not look good with all of my blue fabrics. I'm very glad I had these others on hand. I noticed that my aquas don't look all that nice with my greens, so I'm hoping we won't pair those two colors. If we make flying geese with those aqua triangles, maybe we will pair them with our reds.

LarasAussies 12-31-2019 04:28 PM

Joe’smom..I had the same issue with the aquas, greens and blues just not looking right together. I could not pull values that seemed “to go” which is why I changed up. There are so many combinations and pictures on this thread that worked so I know it’s possible just not with what I had available in stash. For some reason for me I struggled with Bonnie’s color palette this year.

Belfrybat 12-31-2019 04:48 PM

Well, I'm glad this clue is up early but I'm so sorry I followed her cutting directions as I make my geese 4 at a time. Now I have to decide whether to waste the fabric or spend the extra time and hassle of making the FG one at a time.
And Help please. Those of you who are adding pictures - how are you doing it? When I click on the picture icon all I get is the option of putting in a URL, not browsing to the picture on my computer.

PamelaOry 12-31-2019 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat (Post 8345783)
Well, I'm glad this clue is up early but I'm so sorry I followed her cutting directions as I make my geese 4 at a time. Now I have to decide whether to waste the fabric or spend the extra time and hassle of making the FG one at a time.
And Help please. Those of you who are adding pictures - how are you doing it? When I click on the picture icon all I get is the option of putting in a URL, not browsing to the picture on my computer.

you have to hit “go advanced” then “manage attachments” to get to a place to upload photos.

LarasAussies 12-31-2019 04:56 PM

Belfrybat, to add the pictures you have to hit reply first ( not the quick reply). Then select the paper clip icon to the left of the smiley face or you can scroll to the bottom of the reply screen and select manage attachments. Do either of those give you the option to upload from computer?

Iceblossom 12-31-2019 05:42 PM

I had to change the shape of the window once I get the browse/downloads section -- the upload button is now to the far right of the top screen.

Ok, so if we click on the pictures it goes full screen, any one figure out a medium screen size option??

Edit: I've been considering some options to help me keep my fabrics straight for this new step, it will add a bit but not too much to the process. Still going to just pretty much do one set at a time.

origamigoldfish 12-31-2019 06:51 PM

I finished clue 5 after dinner tonight, and pressed my green fabrics to start on clue 6 tomorrow. Hoping to get everything cut tomorrow, and pieced/pressed/trimmed on my day off on Thursday.

This week I learned I can comfortably cut 4 layers of fabric at a time now without losing accuracy, but 6 layers wiggles a little too much under my ruler. I also discovered it is much, much faster to lay out 15-20 hsts in a row and trim the dog ears all at once.

I have been making hst with the square method as my leader/enders, and I am getting much better results by sewing them one at a time like Bonnie does with her triangle ruler, despite the seam going down the bias edge. My seams on those squares are all over the place.

Krisb 12-31-2019 08:19 PM

Because I was using the QST from clue 4 for the geese, just had to cut the Sky. Used the 2 1/2 strip method, with 4 matching strips (2 RSU, 2 WSU): two cuts made a matching set!

jmoore 01-01-2020 05:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yikes, I didn’t expect a clue...thank you KalamaQuilts for keeping us on track. : )
I have not been on the QB much since the format is disorienting so I did not think about checking for a new clue. I’m also waiting to start the Merry Mayhem mystery so I will work on Clue 6 later today. Happy New Year everyone.
Attachment 621387Attachment 621387