Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunters-2019-2020-frolic-mystery-t307758.html)

IrishNY 01-05-2020 06:53 PM

I have Clue 7 all cut out and HSTs sewn. Need to iron, trim and put together pinwheels, then I'll be caught up. For now. I'm almost out of raspberry so I hope we're finished with it.

retiredteacher09 01-05-2020 07:08 PM

KalamaQuilts: Nice selection of fabrics. I have some of that peach print with the cats somewhere.

QuiltingLawyer 01-05-2020 07:39 PM

All done! I finished clue 7 and the rest of 4 and 6. Goes so much faster when everything’s cut and ready to go. I took everything out and played around with the units. There is not enough neutral yet. But some interesting patterns did emerge. I’m getting more excited!

My guess is that we will have one more clue and then the reveal. And I figured out why the dog ear cutting was so important... I think we are going to use those with the aqua QST to make flying geese and it’s important which side which color goes on and they are easier to make.

I wish I could post a picture but the board won’t let me from my phone.

jmoore 01-06-2020 03:42 AM

I agree Sandra-P that Clue 6 seems to take forever...I think I’m too anal or just plain slow but they are coming together one set at a time. I’ll start cutting for Clue 7 and hope to get a few done before Friday’s next clue.

Quiltsrfun, sorry for your family’s loss. I hope you can find some peace in your sewing room from time to time.
Iceblossom, keep us posted on the possible dog adoption. DH and I love dogs but we are just too busy to have one, it certainly wouldn’t be fair to have a dog in our home.

KalamaQuilts 01-06-2020 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Sync (Post 8347969)
Well, I'm way behind on my clues ........ lol ...... nothing new there. I do have clues 1, 2, and 3 done and now working on clue 4. Hmmmmmm ..... I have been trying to attach a picture of my finished clues but there is no way to do that. Oh well ........................

sync, there is supposed to be a paperclip somewhere to facilitate adding photos, but I've yet to see it. I'm still doing it the old way,
If you are quoting someone like this, if you scroll down a bit you'll see "manage attachments" click on that

If you are just making a new reply at the bottom of the thread, click on "go advanced" and then scroll down to "Manage Attachments" you'll get a popup, and you'll need to make it nearly as wide as the page to see the upload button but it works.

edited to add: we have so much neutral left, I'm wondering if we will have some string work to do. which can always be replaced with a single square, but strings are pretty fun. I'm making selvedge string blocks between clues, too cute.

Cindy60545 01-06-2020 06:52 AM

I agree with QuiltingLawyer. I think that we're going to have one more clue & then a reveal. I also think that we've been cutting the parts for blocks all along. If you stop & think about it, her following has been growing over the years & most are beginning quilters or confident beginners, so she has geared her patterns towards that genre. So, the next clue may not have a lot of cutting except for neutral to go along with all those triangles that we've already cut.

Iceblossom 01-06-2020 06:58 AM

For posting pictures, I'm still doing it the old way. I type in Quick Reply and then when I'm ready I go to Advanced. The pictures I take with my camera still go to the Resize Images site first and then are in my downloads. I don't seem to stay logged in very well so I copy my post first so I don't lose it. At the attach photos window, I have to open that up way wide to get the open button visible on the far right side. It defaults in the old vertical form, not the current horizontal.
https://www.reduceimages.com/

But Frolic-wise, today is a new day. I'm feeling better about the pink fabric, the thing is that it is usable pink now and it was not usable before, it was more barely blush pink with freckles or veins or way too yellow or other issues. I should dig out the color catchers from the trash, now those are some vibrant lovely reds...

My blues are in bigger pieces and I'm going to get more out of each one, still a few are in their last usable strips and/or will only make one or two sets. Since the last set with the geese turned out so dark, I'm trying to get more mediums in this batch but I'm concerned about the overall consistency so don't want to go all medium. I'm going with my oversized squares again this round, I've cut my first round of darks/mediums and think I'm pretty close to the total needed, after I'm done with this first cup of coffee (ahhh) I'll turn those into squares.

I think those neutral/red rectangles we made earlier (clue 2?) are going to come back paired with more neutrals.

Iceblossom 01-06-2020 07:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I did go to the trash and got the color catchers. The sad thing is between each of those color catchers is several boiling or whatever treatments. So the original reds (which did have some pinks) are the furthest out, the Pepto Brigade is that last row especially. The rectangles are the color catchers!

origamigoldfish 01-06-2020 02:49 PM

Iceblossom, those colors are beautiful!

I am hoping to finish my clue 6 tomorrow, and do all of clue 7 on my day off Thursday. One more clue and then the reveal would be great for me...I am going on vacation the 19th. Would love to get the top pieced that week.

joe'smom 01-06-2020 03:45 PM

I have made progress with clue 6 today; all are sewn and a bit more than half pressed and trimmed. The ones I did today were considerably better than the ones I did the other day. I consistently have a problem with the bottom right corner slanting significantly upward. Many of those are going to have a very small seam allowance in that spot. I have the sets of triangle pairs cut for clue 7, and the HSTs all ready to sew.

I'm thinking we might have another clue before Friday, and the reveal on Friday. We know for sure that we'll be using neutrals sometime because Bonnie mentioned it, and we know we have to do something with those sets of aqua triangles. I'm enjoying reading everyone's thoughts on that.