Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Box of Strings Quilt Along! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/box-strings-quilt-along-t295603.html)

bearisgray 03-20-2018 06:15 AM

the angles in a Peaky and Spike ( triangle in a square) are approximately

side (skinny) triangles: 90, 26.565, and 63.435 degrees.

center (wide) triangle: 63.435, 63.435, and 53.130 degrees.

bearisgray 03-20-2018 06:18 AM

a 60-60-60 degree triangle with the same base length as the triangle in a square triangle will be "shorter"

costumegirl 03-20-2018 08:33 AM

Would a Kaleidoscope ruler work? I think is is 45 degree (isosceles triangle) and allows a variety of sizes.

jclinganrey 03-20-2018 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR (Post 8024824)
Wow! I'm very flattered that you are doing this. Thank you for the interest.

Congratulations on a fabulous quilt! You've inspired lots of quilters on QB.

jclinganrey 03-20-2018 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Gail B (Post 8025059)
Fantastic! I have already made 4 blocks by following Angelina's tutorial. Where do we go to follow along with the quilt along? What a fun idea:thumbup:

You're in the right spot! Bookmark this thread and check in as often as you like. ((every day???))

Everyone is encouraged to post pictures so we can all 'ooooo' and 'aaaahhh' over them.

I'm going to make a few blocks later today & will post some pics.

jclinganrey 03-20-2018 03:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's what I have so far. I decided to go with the Navy blue for my triangles b/c I had a lot more of it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]591420[/ATTACH]

I'm also using muslin for my foundation. So far, it's working well.

Let's see some other pics!!

Bobbinalong 03-20-2018 04:43 PM

I recently saw a great idea for cutting triangles without the need for a 'special' ruler.

Cut a template from thin card and stick it onto a ruler with one of the sides of the triangle at the edge of the ruler. This is the edge you will always use to make your cut. Ideally, use a ruler that's not too much bigger than the template so as to make it easier to handle. 6"sq or 12"x6" etc in this case perhaps.

Now use your template as you would normally to cut triangles from a strip of fabric, but because it is stuck to the ruler you have the edge to cut against. If you see what I mean. For each triangle you just turn the template so the base of the triangle is either at the top or bottom of the strip, turning the ruler over each time.

This is much harder to describe than do I'm afraid, but once you get the template stuck onto a ruler I'm sure you'll see how this works.

I'm not sure where I saw this method. If it was from anyone on here, I'm sorry for not acknowledging you.

AngeliaNR 03-20-2018 05:06 PM

I fold my fabric four layers thick, trace around the template, and cut them with my rulers.

Marich52 03-20-2018 05:34 PM

I'm in! Started this as soon as the tutorial was posted. I have plenty of neutral skinny strings but not enough colored skinnys. So....I came up with the idea of taking several of my scrap strips, sewing 4-6 of the same width strips together , tube style, then slicing up the centers of the strips. Instant skinny strips with 2 of them already sewn together. Lots of variety if you have lots of short strips that are just too wide for this string pattern.

petthefabric 03-20-2018 06:13 PM

Looks like a fun quilt for scraps. I'm thinking.