Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   FFC -- One FQ: "Sew" Much Creativity!!Q c (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/ffc-one-fq-sew-much-creativity-q-c-t221233.html)

DogHouseMom 08-22-2014 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Anael (Post 6854758)
I store my blocks in a box too but before I do that I pin them to the design wall to admire what I did :D :D

That's part of the reason I was thinking about basting them to paper. My admiration will probably graduate to petting!!

works4me 08-22-2014 03:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Can't give you any tips on stabilizing shot cottons DogHouseMom. But I thank you for the information you are providing.

It turns out I CAN do curves. :) Challenge block 2 is complete and will be dropped off this weekend.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]488681[/ATTACH]
While stitching I kept thinking about a Friends episode where Ross was too cheap to pay to have a couch delivered. They were trying to go up this narrow stairway and he kept saying "pivot, pivot, pivot". Well, they got stuck but I didn't. I guess I pivot better. :) I'm quite pleased with how the second block turned out. The applique stitching isn't perfect but it worked quite well IMO.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]488683[/ATTACH]

Anael 08-22-2014 11:12 PM

So tell me, what's not perfect about the stitching??? It's beautiful!! Now you know, YOU can do it too :D :D

DogHouseMom 08-23-2014 05:36 AM

Works4Me ... that's fantastic!!! It's so uniform!! Tell me, what weight thread did you use? It looks fairly heavy - and lovely!!

jeanne49 08-23-2014 05:39 AM

Love, love, love your design. What an excellent use of the FQ from a friend.

works4me 08-23-2014 06:07 AM

Thanks Anael. There are a few gaps and a few areas where there is over coverage but, overall, I'm really happy. I don't think anyone will notice but my worst critic, me. :)

DogHouseMom - thank you. I used Aurofil 40wt. I use it for all my machine sewing now. The machine stitch goes each direction twice so it ends up looking quite a bit like my hand buttonhole stitch.

Thanks jeanne49 - this is actually the third design. The first was a friendship tree with challenge fabric from the friend who started this thread. The second, another tree with challenge fabric from a quilt store. All money raised by the store, plus a quilt from the returned blocks, goes to The Delta Hospice. This third one is another charity one I did for the store after the fact so they would have an even amount of blocks for the quilt. I also made sure it co-ordinated with my first block for them.

DogHouseMom 08-23-2014 02:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I finally finished the planning stage of my DJ. Below is an image from DJEQ. I couldn't get the DJ software to insert the offsetting triangles against the outside edge, but those will be the same light grey used throughout the quilt. I am using the same light grey for the sashing and the background fabric in the blocks. If I planned it right ... some of the blocks will appear to "float".

This layout uses all of the DJ blocks including triangles and kites. Will be a generous King (108 square).

The colors are "rough". I didn't upload *my* colors and just chose the closest thing I could find in the DJ solids.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]488791[/ATTACH]

DogHouseMom 08-23-2014 02:43 PM

And now a question about fabric yardage ....

I have a total of 4 colors in the above DJ. When I add all the yardage together it comes out to 56.5 yards (excluding the backing!!). That CAN'T be right!!!!

works4me 08-23-2014 02:51 PM

That's going to look great DHM!
I'm with you on the 56 yards. Say what? Since I don't plan to ever do a DJ, I can't help you on that. Maybe it takes a lot of yardage because of the waste from all those tiny pieces? By 56 still seems extreme.

Anael 08-23-2014 11:18 PM

That's a stunning lay out DHM!!! Somewhere I read you need 20 yards of background fabric and that seemed a lot to me. I don't know if that's right. But 56 yards...........wow, that doesn't seem right indeed!