Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/grand-illusion-bonnie-hunters-mystery-quilt-2014-a-t255071.html)

Windblown 12-10-2014 10:19 AM

Mom to 2 boys I had trouble with the points match also until I tried a few different 1/4"seam widths.

Nilla 12-10-2014 10:21 AM

Alvastitcher, I'm so sorry for your tragic loss.

DogHouseMom 12-10-2014 10:35 AM

Awww Alva ... so sorry for you.

SusanSusan33 12-10-2014 11:09 AM

(((((ALVA STITCHER))))) I'm so very sorry for your loss! I pray that you feel peace and comfort in this time and that the quilting can comfort you!!

Tweety2911 12-10-2014 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by AlvaStitcher (Post 7002407)
I received the news last evening that my brother was killed last night in an accident with a semi log truck while responding to a house fire. I worked for several hours after getting the news on Clue #1 blocks. It was very good therapy for me. Soothing to my soul. This will certainly be a quilt to remember.

My heart is crying with you. So very sorry for your tragic loss. Hugs and Love.

Tweety2911 12-10-2014 12:10 PM

Brooke your little helper is so adorable and very conscientious of her task! I see quilting in her future!

somoquilter 12-10-2014 12:27 PM

Alvastitcher - I am so sorry for the loss of your brother. But you're right, sewing is very good therapy. May God wrap you in His arms of love.

If you are doing the Rose Prairie quilts method -- I'm pretty sure they turn out right if you have your neutral strip at 1 7/8" & the other 2 at 2 inches.

ILoveToQuilt 12-10-2014 01:19 PM

Alvastitcher...so very sorry to hear of your loss. Heaven has a special place for our heroes. Prayers and hugs at this sad time.

ILoveToQuilt 12-10-2014 02:03 PM

I'm sure this has been beat to death already, but I can't wrap my head around clue #1! (Too much new DGD on my mind!)

If I make my HSTs 2.5 inches, they will finish to 2 inches, correct? Then when I add the black and yellow squares, the overall finished size of the block will be 4"x4". Is this right??? Grrrrr...have baby brain...

Thanks!

DogHouseMom 12-10-2014 02:30 PM

Clue #2 update - using option #3 (with the "bonus" HST's)

Finished cutting all my rectangles and squares. Finished marking the backs of all the squares.

Last night I decided to make a few test blocks through to completion (I had previously made just 1/2 of the block as a test). I wanted to make sure my points match in the middle. Before I joined the two together I measured the half of the block (one rectangle with two triangles attached) and I noticed that each rectangle had a smidge extra length on one edge of each side. (ie the top right and the bottom left were each longer than the top left and the bottom right). I'm getting a little bit of 'stretch' when I join each triangle to the rectangle.

I'm OK if I trim that smidge off before I join the two blocks - I'm getting a good match of the points in the middle and a perfect 4.5" finished block. But do I REALLY want to trim each of those things? I'm going to make more tests tonight and see if I can figure out a way to avoid that little bit of stretch that I'm getting from joining the triangle.

Hmmm ... maybe my walking foot would help. Will check that out.