Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/grand-illusion-bonnie-hunters-mystery-quilt-2014-a-t255071.html)

JeanieG 12-08-2014 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Windblown (Post 7000080)
Thank You everyone for the encouragement, I will just keep trying on the Double Diamonds. I think that I will stick with the 3rd method, I just feel more comfortable with it.
I have switched out the pink for purple, my DM only bought me pink clothes all my childhood I had a pink bedroom and we also had a pink black and white car (1950's) and I have an aversion to to pink of any shade. I love the lavender plant so I'm going for all shades in that color.

You sound like me Windblown! My mom always dressed me in pinks and blues. I just hated that color and would not wear it for anything for such a long time. I had my "colors" done in the 80's, and wouldn't you know that pink is one of my best colors as I am a "summer". My mom knew what she was doing way back then, and my husband just loves me in pink. Some years when pink is "not in", I miss being able to pick up something new in my "best" color. LOL

We are back from visiting our grandkids in Phoenix, and I am behind already on this mystery. I have about half of step 1 done, and have read the directions for step 2. I have not decided which way I'm going to make these blocks yet. Gotta get organized here again.

Everyone's blocks are looking great!

SueSew 12-08-2014 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by pjnesler (Post 6999278)
I've really been enjoying watching my scrappy blocks come together for clue 2 - using the first option I'm feeling good!

Love your fabrics!
And what a sneaky clever way to pull them togethter! This is truly a mystery, and I am learning to think about quilt block construction like never before

SueSew 12-08-2014 12:02 PM

Quilting addict in Wales,
If you PM me I will send you the PDF which prints 12 per page 11x17 at 100%. I did this in Powerpoint as it is the only thing I know how to draw in. I couldn't get EQ7 to work. If you would prefer 8 1/2x11 or A4 or whatever you British use I can send that also

The finished size is 2"x4" and I added 1/4 " all round for seam allowance. I drew it so the two diagonal lines bisect the verticals at 2" each. This could well be done with HST if we weren't all sick of them, I think.

I make a piece of neutral 3"x5" and put on the bottom of the template face down, then I sew the triangles on as "piece 2" and "Piece 3" and I am cutting the triangles 3 1/2" on a side. Wasteful maybe but I get the right size.

ILoveToQuilt 12-08-2014 12:23 PM

Hi Sue,

Would you be willing to possibly send it to me in 8.5 x 10 size, as well? Thanks!

Love to see that you are "nawth o' Boston"...I am, too! Southern NH to be exact. Where are you?

thart795 12-08-2014 12:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]501819[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]501820[/ATTACH]The first two clues are finished! The to-be MIL and I are making half the units and were able to pump them out last night and today.

Redtop 12-08-2014 01:06 PM

Have you ever had a day when nothing seems to be going right? Today has been one of those days.... I had a busy weekend an didn't get started on Clue #2, so I thought today I just might get most of it completed. Not going to happen!!!! First I cut out my 2 1/2 inch pink and black squares---boy it went fast. I thought "I'm cooking", this won't take long. I cut most of my neutrals and wouldn't you know it, I cut them 2 1/2 inches too. I thought how stupid. I cut more neutrals correct size and began to sew. Guess what----they didn't turn out the correct size. Well the way my day has gone it wasn't a huge surprise. Probably 2 hours later I have my first 4/1/2 inch block finished. I think I'll quit for the day and try again tomorrow.

huskyquilter 12-08-2014 01:14 PM

Well, I decided to jump on this one today. I am a fairly new quilter and I don't have much scrap at all, so I got to order the fabrics for the quilt! <3 I decided to go outside my comfort zone and get some batik fabric. I know I'm behind, but my huskband is going to be traveling for the next couple of weeks, so I can spend a lot of extra time on it. I don't currently have any quilts in progress, aside from a table runner I am going to bind tonight. I'll post a picture of my fabrics once they come in, they are gorgeous jewel tones so this quilt will be bold! I love everyone's colors so far. :)

Windblown 12-08-2014 01:48 PM

May I ask at this late date, what is everyone marking their dark fabric with?

SunlitenSmiles 12-08-2014 02:10 PM

I used white chalk pencil

dressmaker chalk would work, obviously, but I prefer the pencil because of the fine point you can shape with a sandpaper pad.....ok, you see these are staples for sketching with graphite or charcoal. Watercolor and sketching are my 'crossover' interests and some supplies like to 'play' with everything.

Sophie2 12-08-2014 02:28 PM

I am ready for Clue #3. I am almost sad that I finished Clue #2 and I am really getting good at getting everything to match the way it should! LOL I used the first method, using the easy angle ruler.