Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Harriet's Journey BOM (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/harriets-journey-bom-t314256.html)

DottyD 02-23-2021 06:58 AM

Harriet's Journey BOM

Originally Posted by Blueridgebeverly (Post 8463217)
DottyD, first daffodil! I’m so ready for Spring. We still have a foot of snow in our backyard ... and now ice too as the snow melts. It’s still quite the trek out to the bird feeder. But I think it will melt this week with warming temperatures.

You mentioned you live about an hour south of London? In the Surrey Hills? I’ve read that area is spectacularly beautiful. Lots of small picturesque villages and nature parks. My husband is a hiker (I’m more of a shopper) and that is an area we’ve looked at visiting.

Hope things warm up for you soon !
I am actually in north Hampshire but very close to Surrey and Berkshire. I agree we have some beautiful areas very close to us, although my favourite places are Devon and Cornwall ! You will have to let me know if you do ever venture over to the UK !!

DottyD 02-23-2021 10:05 AM

Harriet's Journey BOM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe (Post 8463228)
Some more about me. Please don't be put off by the screen name. It's what my first husband called me and he is long gone. He ran off with an elderly (???) widowed grandmother when I was just 40 and he was 44. She was 55. We met her in Sunday School!!!!. She just took one look at him and moved over to sit next to him, told him that if he was ever free, she was available.

I worked nights and they began a relationship right under my nose. I had no clue what so ever. He had gotten up out of bed and said to me...."I am going to leave you. I am going to find a 55 year old woman who can take better care of me than you can." And he left. I have yet to respond to that statement. There was nothing for me to say. That was in 1986. I guess I have a few choice words for him now, but that is water under the bridge. I still think he thought she had money and she thought he had money and neither one had a dime. I ended up with all the property. They married and were divorced within a year when it was discovered that they had apparently tricked each other. I am still single and have provided for my self a good life. There are times when I feel like the little red hen.

When we were still married, I asked if I could join a group and make a quilt. He said no. He now lives in a burned out trailer and I have a large paid for house. My fabric stash is extensive and my Amish neighbor just called and wants me to take her to a fabric store!!!!! Oh joy!!!!!!!

As for 8 yards of background, I have this bolt that is light with a light blue pattern. I've often wondered what to do with that. I must get my camera-computer-picture back in sync.

Marcia

Hi Marcia,
Great to have you join us here and hope you enjoy making this project with us all.

Sounds as though you have had some tough times but come through it and I am so pleased you are happier now.

Battle Axe 02-23-2021 10:37 AM

The Amish neighbor has two weddings soon. She must make a new dress for herself and her 12 year old daughter. The colors are shades of purples, very pretty. One of the weddings is her DAD!! They lost her mother about two years ago and he is marrying a widow. This widow owns a fabric store and may move it closer to us.

Blueridgebeverly 02-23-2021 01:24 PM

Marcia, if living a good life is the best revenge, you sure have had the last word. And you have independence to make your own choices.

Dotty, I’ll let you know if we end up in the UK! We traveled to the UK in 1986. He was in Birmingham for a conference. So each morning, I walked to the train and took it somewhere new. I visited London on several days, Chester, Warwick, and Coventry. We visited again in 2011 with our children. We divided our time between Edinburgh and London on that trip. I love history. Walking everywhere — it was all around us.

QuiltingVagabond 02-23-2021 02:38 PM

Marcia, you will have to let me know if a fabric store moves in Lagrange or Elkhart counties. Glad to be sewing this quilt along with you my friend! Which shop does the widow lady own?

WMUTeach 02-23-2021 05:44 PM

BAx, I know you are not too far from me. Do let the group know if and when the shop moves. I haven't traveled much in the past year, but I did go to Gohn Brothers in Middlebury about 6 weeks ago and found the perfect backing for a quilt. I would be happy to support a family shop. I don't shop much but, would be happy to support a local quilt shop.

Teen 02-23-2021 07:08 PM

BattleAxe...the strong always persevere...you are a testament to that!

Oh, how I would love to visit London...or Europe in general. Dang COVID...

I stopped at a “new to me” quilt shop today...little hole in the wall and almost missed seeing its sign. However, I just couldn’t buy anything there...she had cats crawling everywhere...smelly....ugh! She explained she fosters cats. I counted 6 from 2ft in the doorway. Good for her but she should keep them home....and close her shop....Unbelievable that she felt it is ok to operate that way. She’ll have to do without my support. No thanks!

I purchased a project storage container for HJ today. Gotta keep me organized...lol

Mkotch 02-24-2021 03:10 AM

Marcia (BAx), that's quite a story! Glad you came out on top.

I moved things around in my quilting room the other day and now have a project box designated for HJ. I know I will need more white on white as we proceed, but I didn't like any that I saw at Joann's the other day. So I'll go to my local quilt shop ("where everybody knows my name") soon. I'm concentrating on finishing up a few loose ends - making good progress.

Battle Axe 02-24-2021 03:51 AM

The one in Nappannee, IN.
She is an Amish lady and soooo much fun.

If you are interested in quilt shops in my area, try to look up a thread I had on this board about gong to 13 quilt shops in 2 days. There are several really good ones around here, but if I could only go to one it would be this one. Delores has a bent for purchasing the best fabric. When I look through my stash, I can tell the ones I found at her shop. Rose says she has gobs of panels.

Essenhaus and Lolly's are close seconds. Next is Yoder's Dept. Store. Remember also we lost 5 quilt shops within driving distance. The one in Rome City is worth mentioning.

Can someone find that old thread and post it and enjoy it again. This area is a quilter's bonanza. I'm just sorry that the auctioneers in charge of the sales are stuck on hand quilted.

Battle Axe 02-24-2021 05:09 AM

The thread is called "The Legendary Tour".

I posted to it and you should be able to pick it up on the feed.