Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Jen Kingwell blocks and finished quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/jen-kingwell-blocks-finished-quilts-t297401.html)

Anael 08-21-2018 08:54 PM

Oh yes OK, that would be great!!! It's hard to decide which one first :) Have you seen the Quilt Lovely book? Lovely patterns, quilts and pillow patterns. Easy quilts, hard ones, ones with applique....you name it.

Teen , good luck on selling your house!!

Teen 08-22-2018 07:50 PM

OMGosh...someone just slap me..seriously..... I finished a QOV today and dove right in to Quilt Lovely pattern book. If you have the book, I'm making the Small Wonders pillow to match my GTSB... Lordy...I need an intervention....:D It's not like I have a ton of crud to do...

Anael 08-22-2018 09:45 PM

I have time for you............:D
It's a lovely pillow though.......great choice!!

oksewglad 08-23-2018 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Teen (Post 8115021)
OMGosh...someone just slap me..seriously..... I finished a QOV today and dove right in to Quilt Lovely pattern book. If you have the book, I'm making the Small Wonders pillow to match my GTSB... Lordy...I need an intervention....:D It's not like I have a ton of crud to do...

And now you know how UFO's begin!

Anael 08-23-2018 08:17 AM

LOL OK, you're so right :D :D

Teen 08-23-2018 06:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are the 3" blocks for the pillow from Kingwell's Quilt Lovely book. Just need to make 2 heart blocks and another 9-patch. I threw one out cuz it looked awful...

OKsewglad.....is there a trick to sewing 3" 9-patch mini blocks? I use scant stitch and try not to stretch fabric but it still turned out wonky..ugh! The one in photo is ok but it is not 3 1/2" sq....I can finess it but still...I'd like to do at least one correctly...lol... Help, Queen of Mini's!!! Lol! I'm thinking about making the 4 corner squares bigger then just square it up cuz those corners are my issue.

oksewglad 08-23-2018 07:15 PM

Well from the looks of your simple 9p, I think you are doing what I call the l*r swing!

We tend to sew too wide at the beginning of the seam and make the seam too wide and/or swing in toward the end of the seam which makes the seam too narrow. It doesn't take much on small blocks. This makes the block even more off. To eliminate the L*R swing:
1. Careful attention when starting and stopping a seam.
2. Chain piecing using leaders and enders. For some reason this helps me
3. Finger placement on the piece or
4. Use a stilleto.

See if that helps...if not trim it off!

Teen 08-23-2018 07:26 PM

Thank you, so much, OK!!! ..you are probably exactly right. This is a habit I've been haunted with since I started quilting and try to pay attention to in my regular sized piecing. I resew just the start and ends (not often now cuz I'm getting better) cuz I end up too narrow and nesting is an issue then. I will tackle this tomorrow using your tips... You're a doll...thank you!

Blue Bell 08-23-2018 07:39 PM

Also, as you approach the end of the seam, sew slowly.

Teen 08-23-2018 07:41 PM

Will do, Blue Bell!! Thank you...