Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Newbies challenge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/newbies-challenge-t38362.html)

CruisingStef 08-27-2010 04:53 PM

Same here. Know nothing of paper piecing, although would like to learn. Borders and mitering are a mystery to me.

sistahdebbra 08-27-2010 10:37 PM

okay, Quilterscorner, I'm up for adoption. I've been "nibbling" at quilting for years (self teaching) but things like squaring up, mitering, eludes me. And I would so love to learn hand quilting. Will you be my Mommie?

vivientan 08-27-2010 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by buslady
I have adopted a group of 6 from work. None had quilted before, more than half had never sewn a stitch. They are turning out some wonderful stuff. We've done quilts, bags, and pot holders. One of the girls made a cane cover for one of our clients that uses a cane. We are all having a ball. The big thing here is that any time we get a visitor and they say they "can't" everyone here jumps up to tell them, "yes you can".

Great what you are doing at work! Yeah I agree that everyone can quilt. Before I took up quilting classes 3 years ago, I had not sewn or touched a sewing machine for more than 20 yrs!! LOL. The last time I did was during my sewing classes in school. To date, I've completed a baby quilt, some table runners and other small projects.

quilterscorner 08-28-2010 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by sistahdebbra
okay, Quilterscorner, I'm up for adoption. I've been "nibbling" at quilting for years (self teaching) but things like squaring up, mitering, eludes me. And I would so love to learn hand quilting. Will you be my Mommie?

you bet-I only have 3 daughters and none of them quilt so need to pass it down to someone!

Nolee 08-28-2010 09:26 AM

I've got 4 daughters and not a one wants to learn to quilt either, so you are now my 'quilting Mom' although I think you are younger than me.

My needs are paper piecing too. I started one project at the quilt shop near me and ended up giving it to the owner to finish. I still don't have it back, LOL. The other thing is squaring. I can't believe how off I am....and I just bought a 1/4" foot too. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Joan Rosemary 08-29-2010 05:51 AM

This is one hell of an idea. Girl Power or what? I could definately do with a teacher ( but she would need have the patience of a saint). lol.
Plus needs to be in the UK.
Joan

psquared52 08-29-2010 07:03 AM

Hi,

Have you been adopted yet? I have had my 6600 for almost 2 years now. i remember feeling like I owned a Lamborgini which I drove 20 miles an hour. I am happy to say I have figured out many of the 6600's secrets now and am still in love with my machine. I quilt almost exclusively and have just finished my first attempt at FMQ. If you're interested, let me know. I see there are many pages of this thread so assume there are lots of adopters/adoptees out there.
This is such a great idea! I learn best from other people, when I feel comfortable asking questions. Patt

Nolee 08-29-2010 08:16 AM

Isn't the mentoring to be done via e-mail? If so, you wouldn't need to limit your "Mom" from the UK, would you?

Joan Rosemary 08-29-2010 08:26 AM

Not got a Mom yet

Joan Rosemary 08-29-2010 08:26 AM

Yes I guess not