Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Newbies challenge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/newbies-challenge-t38362.html)

Bluetickgal92 01-25-2015 06:55 AM

Hey everyone! I saw this post was older and was wondering if there where anyone out there still willing to mentor a young newbie.

I'm 22 and have sewn hear and there over the years. I can sew somewhat of a straight line :). I'm also halfway through 2-3 quilts. I recently started a sewing class and hope to learn some basics there but I would also like to maybe learn how to quilt on my sewing machine. I have several aunts that are really great sewers.
I hate to bother people with a ton of questions but I'm def one who would have a lot I'm guessing. So if anyone is upto the challenge of answering my questions and giving advice I would be greatful!

Also I'm new to this site, but love it and I'm so glad I found it. I know I'm going to learn a lot from you all! :)

Debthequilter 01-27-2015 07:19 PM

I'm up for adoption! LOL I am new to quilting I am blessed with the internet to help me learn lots. I have been doing BOM from Crafty's and made a free that way I think I have about maybe 6 quilts done at this time YAY!! I can't get the binding together right so I sew a straight seams a little thick but the ones that get the gifts they are really happy and that's all that counts right. So needless to say I am Open to Learn all I can say Is Bring on 2015!! and my new buddy

zozee 01-30-2015 07:06 AM

Bluetickgal, I'll pm you and see if you want me to adopt you or not. I'm no expert but I enjoy sharing what I do know and love with newbies.

charsethman 02-05-2015 07:00 AM

NEWBIE HERE...I would love to be "adopted" and mentored! I am new to quilting but love it! I do sew and have some experience with sewing home décor items...but quilting is a whole new adventure. I have been watching a lot of Missouri star quilt videos to learn to quilt. they have been helpful. Pennsylvania is where I call home.

dacjjc0522 02-06-2015 05:25 AM

Newbie here I would love to be Adoped. I am very new to quilting and would love all the help I can get.

crafty55 02-09-2015 11:41 PM

i am a life long seamstress (use to make wedding dresses even) BUT...i never tried quilting. last fall i decided to make christmas quilts and got online to teach myself as much as i could. I took some clues from some pictures, but except for one quilt that had a specility print fabric, i pretty much free worked the tops. I was already to quilt, when i could not find a extension table fast enough for my babylock esante sewing machine, so i had to give them out unfinished. I still dont have the extension table, but for the last few weeks i have been hand quilting my sons quilt first. I really want to learn how to free motion for the rest of them, and hope to work myself up to a sewing machine that i think will work better for quilting. when i get off the computer, i will go to my phone so i can then insert front pictures of the quilts i made. (the owl print quilt basically ended up having a front on both sides because i had to piece fabrics to fit the back).

oh...and one of them was the first quilt i started, a crazy quilt because i wanted to just use fabrics that i already knew i had on hand.

but i love boards, and i know i could really use a quilting Sherpa on my side!!!!! thank you in advance (deborah) oh, i live in escondido, which is kind of san diego area! I also am a polymer clay and beading expert, i would gladly share skills!

crafty55 02-10-2015 12:42 AM

5 Attachment(s)
okay. here are the pictures.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]509520[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]509521[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]509522[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]509523[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]509524[/ATTACH]

i have really enjoyed the process, especially since i am handicapped, it seems to be something i still can do with my limitations. The sewing of the actual quilts I seem to be getting pretty easily, but i want to learn how to do this correctly, (trust me, there was a heck of a lot of ripping out seams making these because i was taught right was the only way by my grandmother.) So, it is only right that i find a quilt angel that can push me in the right directions. I intend to get into art quilts when all is said and done. (i think! lol)

KelleyM 02-23-2015 08:27 PM

I would definitely be a newbie. Anyone willing to adopt an old lady??

tkhooper 02-24-2015 10:02 AM

oh crafty I want the bird one. How marvelous. Is that one hard to do?

crafty55 03-11-2015 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by tkhooper (Post 7103729)
oh crafty I want the bird one. How marvelous. Is that one hard to do?

tkhooper, the japanese bird one was actually about the easiest. The fabrics were all from the same collection, and so beautiful i didnt want to break them up into complicated blocks. This is the quilt that is going to go to my 83 year old mother in law, because i want it back. ordered the fabric from one of my fave sellers of quilt fabric on ebay. i dont know if we are to pass out that info or not.

i am glad that you enjoyed it. I just finished hand quilting the orange one first, and getting ready to quilt my mother in laws. I need to get an exstention table for my sewing machine still, but i think i am going to still hand quilt it. takes a long time though, but i am getting use to controlling my stitch size now.

still hoping to be "adopted!" I will bring snacks.

ps. I worked out all the patterns myself.