Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Newbies challenge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/newbies-challenge-t38362.html)

leaha 07-09-2010 06:38 AM

free motion quilting

Originally Posted by Adalia
Someone please tell me what FMQ is. Talk about a newbie! I'm up for adoption. I've got lots of questions. I just joined today and I'm loving it.

leaha 07-09-2010 06:39 AM

free motion quilting, and stitch in the ditch

aneternalpoet 07-10-2010 03:02 PM

I have been SO blessed to have BeaSewHappy as my adopted quilt mommy.. but not only am I glad she adopted me, to teach, and guide, she added 3 other gals at the same time, who work with her in her quilt store/endeavors.. BeaSewHappy has already answered many questions I have been embarrased to ask, and now, at least I understand , and can keep learning more about the areas of quilting i am most interested in.
So , my adopted Quilting Mommy, I promise to listen, obey, and not to throw to many tantrums when you take my fabric, or quilting time away because I have not replyed, or regularly done my chores.. my time at my sewing table, lol.. I have the best quilting mommie's ever!!

newbyquilter 07-10-2010 04:17 PM

I am a newbie too, I am very intimidated by my sewing machine...I know how to thread it but have trouble using it. The whole piece of fabric thunks down and gets sucked into the machine. So I completely hand quilted my first quilt because I was just too intimidated.

litacats 07-11-2010 07:22 PM

I would love to be adopted by a quilter, having only started in the last couple of weeks I have heaps to learn,

Quilt Mom 07-12-2010 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by newbyquilter
I am a newbie too, I am very intimidated by my sewing machine...I know how to thread it but have trouble using it. The whole piece of fabric thunks down and gets sucked into the machine. So I completely hand quilted my first quilt because I was just too intimidated.

Hold the tails of your thread when you start a line of stitching. This will help a little to keep your fabric from being sucked into the machine.

stefanib123 07-12-2010 06:34 AM

Just wanted to say that I have been "adopted" by leaha! And she is awesome!

She stayed on the phone with me for HOURS, allowing me to pick her brain, LOL! And boy, what a brain! That lady is an EXPERT, and I mean EXPERT!

I wish I had found her years ago!

Thank you to whoever started this idea! Its a huge help to us newbies!

JacquelineVH 07-12-2010 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Aully
Hello All! I am a very beginner to quilting, I have not even started anything yet. :( I have a lot of fabric now and finally bought a 16 x 24 quilting ruller. I have a newer Singer sewing machine, Brother sewing machine, Bernina serger. I wan't to learn everything about quitling so BAD :) I will start at the bottom though and hopefully gradually learn it all. Please ADOPT me! Sorry for the spelling mistakes :)!

Hi! I am a newbie to this forum, but have been quilting for about 12+ years. I am also Canadian(Live in BC). I would love to adopt you! Please message me!

calla 07-12-2010 07:44 AM

Did you purchase a stitch in the ditch foot? calla/Sue

calla 07-12-2010 07:45 AM

oops..........I don't know who asked about learning to stitch in the ditch..............sorry.........sheesh.........my memory is gone......calla/Sue