Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Newbies challenge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/newbies-challenge-t38362.html)

livenlearn124 06-09-2010 04:09 AM

Thanks everyone!

We've got alot to learn, but we had a great time working on it together. We were only able to work on it at night while the grandbabies were sleeping, so I am really amazed we were able to finish it. I picked the fabrics and she chose the pattern.
I like the saying I've seen used on here..."If you can't spot the mistakes while riding by on horseback, it's not that bad" , there are MANY mistakes, but no one she has shown her quilt too seems to notice or either they are being very kind.
I think she's hooked, we had to take a trip to the LQS to look at fabric for her next visit =)

DS 06-09-2010 10:35 AM

I AM AVAILABLE FOR ADOPTION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

craftybear 06-09-2010 10:37 AM

wow, everyone cool quilts

janbeckley 06-10-2010 08:48 AM

With my first twin quilts I bought too much material and sooooooooooo - I have enough for curtains to match!!! An error turned into a bonus.

Sign Girl 06-10-2010 10:11 AM

I'm definately a newbee, please help

RoxieK 06-11-2010 11:29 AM

I have only been quilting for about a year after doing some with my Mom when I was younger. Have only done the simple blocks but would be open for anything. I have an older Singer machine and also an older Bernina Embroidery machine. Have done simple quillows for my grandkids but haven't ventured out from there much. I have been picking up material when I see it on sale. Now have to figure out what to do with it. Would love help if anyone is up for the challenge. I live in Upstate NY summers and Florida winters. Thanks for starting this up.

montanablu 06-12-2010 03:45 PM

If you're still looking for a 'mommy'- I'm volunteering. I'm new to this board, but have been quilting for what seems like a gazillion years - (actually about 12.) I've sewn since childhood & owned my own quilt shop for 7 yrs. Am now fun-employed, so I quilt a lot!! & have time to help. If no one else has claimed you sweetie, I'm all yours.

RoxieK 06-12-2010 04:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Great I'd love to be adopted by you. I have never machine quilted except stitch in the ditch and am not sure how to even get started but am willing to try anything. If you have any suggestions please fire away.

I am working on the one I sent pix ( hope they came out) of it is for my granddaughter she is very talented in music so the inside fabric consists of sheet music. The fabric on the side is the fabric she wanted for the backing. We aren't sure of what borders to add either. Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. I am very happy you chose me. Are you from the NY or Florida area?

Talk to you soon,
Roxie

[ATTACH=CONFIG]84647[/ATTACH]

Close up of one of the blocks
[ATTACH=CONFIG]84648[/ATTACH]

the fabric I want to use on the back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]84649[/ATTACH]

DS 06-12-2010 04:35 PM

Ohhh Roxie K I Love the whole thing but the tye dye back is so fun!

montanablu 06-12-2010 05:15 PM

Great Job!! I'm so pleased to see you began with an easy pattern. I've taught quilting for years & the worst thing a new quilter can do to themselves is to select a difficult pattern that tries their patience (& skill) - they get discouraged & give up.

I like the colors - it's neat that your gd selected them - it makes it more personal not to mention she's guaranteed to love it!! lol ***Important to know*** Quilts are totally personal. What I love may be something that you can't even tolerate! There are NO quilt police - & except for some important basic rules - like always sew w/a 1/4" seam allowance, there isn't much you absolutely can't or have to do. If you love it, it's great! Don't let anyone make you think what you've made is less than awesome.
Sorry, I rant sometimes, I won't again (for awhile, anyway:)
Back to your quilt----- one suggestion, possibly use a small border of black like 1 1/2" finished, & then your focus fabric, the music notes, as a wider border. You could then bind in any of the fabrics, music, black or one of the other colors. The tye-dye is a great choice for the back. If you'd like, we can email rather than board post (since I can be long winded sometimes!:)
Let me know what your ideas are. Looking forward to hearing from you. BTW- I'm in Ohio