Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Newbies challenge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/newbies-challenge-t38362.html)

sewcrazygirl 03-04-2010 11:01 PM

I want to learn how to sew triangles without making then look like my 5 year old chewed the ends off. LOL

Gwyn 03-04-2010 11:15 PM

When you are ready to sew the diagonal of the triangle, put the needle in a few stitched down the seam. Hold onto the ends of the thread and push the reverse button. The machine should go back to the edge of the fabric and then forward again. Keeping hold of the threads will help keep the corner from going down into the bobbin housing.

Another thing I do is to send the triangles in one after the other in a line of continuous sewing. This also helps keep the corners from 'diving'.

Finally, use a needle that is sharp and a little bit on the fine side - size 11 or 12 usually work well.

Hope this helps, Gwyn

amma 03-04-2010 11:45 PM

WOW!!! So many new adoptees and parents :D:D:D
This is very exciting!!!
I can't wait to see the projects that come from these adoptions :D:D:D

Cookie64 03-04-2010 11:54 PM

sewcrazygirl, I'm still looking for someone to adopt, I do lots of different thing, I teach beginning quilting.

Cookie

Patty Patches 03-05-2010 03:02 AM

Hi Cookie, Would love to meet you. Maybe you+me+Cindy Jean could all get together.It would be so much fun.Hope I'm doing this right.

Originally Posted by Cookie's Crafts

Originally Posted by Patty Patches
LOVE the baby quilt.What part of Ky ,I;m from somerset

Patty Patches, I will be in Bowling Green the week-end of the 19th for our family reunion, I will be there a few days before, maybe we could meet. It would be nice.

Cookie

Kathi in PA 03-05-2010 03:14 AM

I'm still waiting to be adopted and would like to know if anyone is from Pennsylvania, just in case I need actual hands-on help. Believe me I don't mind travelling and of course it would be on a weekend!!

Thanks,
Kathi in PA

sewcrafty 03-05-2010 04:36 AM

I've got twins now!! I've adopted OHSue. This is great!! Always wanted a girl since all I have around me is testertone!!! :D :lol: :lol:

farnsworth 03-05-2010 04:40 AM

If you don't mind cheating I use thangles they come out perfect ( I can never do that on my own!)

Paintbrushbrown 03-05-2010 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by thread
Paintbrushbrown I am willing to adopt you and help you piece your first quilt. I will also teach you to hand quilt and many other things. I also live in Arkansas

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I am so thrilled. I am a pretty attentive student, but sometimes you have to hit me in the head with a 2 X 4 to get my attention first!!!

I am so excited!

Marilyn, new daughter of Threads!

Quilt Mom 03-05-2010 04:51 AM

Welcome to the family, janedennis! Let's get started on that BOM!

Up North, I took a serious look at that pattern. Do you want me to mail the redrafted pattern? Or talk you through the redrafting?

Kyiav10 - I have not forgotten you. I will look today for a simple paper pieced pattern to start. I KNOW you will take off running with the basics in hand!