Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/ringo-lake-bonnie-hunter-mystery-quilt-2017-18-a-t292318.html)

joe'smom 11-08-2017 10:55 AM

As usual, I've bought quite a lot of fabric for this mystery, as my stash is too small to provide for a Bonnie quilt. In fact, I was noticing this morning that quite a large proportion of my stash is a result of buying fabric for Bonnie quilts, LOL! :o I suppose I should switch to using yardage over scrappy, as that would be more practical, but I do love to use a variety of fabrics. Now I just have to wait for them to arrive.

NZquilter 11-08-2017 10:57 AM

Great explanation, Lisa!

A huge welcome to all our new MQ quilters! We are thrilled to have you sewing with us.

AlvaStitcher 11-08-2017 11:56 AM

Lisa, Thank You for the explanation.

KalamaQuilts 11-08-2017 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by tscweaves (Post 7938580)

So now what to we do for the next 2 1/2 weeks! LOL The waiting is always a killer with mysteries:-)

I was scheduled for a Bonnie class a few months ago that was canceled. I had all the basic quilt cut already so while I'm waiting am sewing it together. All the central is pieced, now I'm adding pieced borders to bring it up to size. I 'll get a photo when I get the last two borders on.. I like my cutting and sewing tables clean for mystery, just a habit I've gotten into

Windblown 11-08-2017 02:08 PM

I have a question about ORL fabric choices. In most quilts you have Dark Medium Light and with Bonnie a neutral.
I see the Brown as the Dark but is the Medium coral or the turq blue color?

joe'smom 11-08-2017 02:24 PM

I thought the aqua and the coral looked just about the same when I turned the photos black and white. I would call them both mediums. This quilt has one color less than we have been getting with the last few mysteries. So I would say that the neutrals represent the light. If we have a unit that pairs aqua and neutral, or coral and neutral, we'll want to use lighter neutrals to maintain a good contrast if our aqua and coral are on the lighter side.

Windblown 11-08-2017 02:36 PM

Thank you joe'smom. I going to be making this from solid color yardage. I'll have to put my thing cap on my colors are not her's either:rolleyes:

Jaiade 11-08-2017 02:39 PM

I am very tempted to do this because I like the colors, But, I don't like to spend that much time and effort on Bonnie's mysteries and then don't like it(and they are labor intensive). Which is what happened with the last one I did of hers, grand illusion. I like the sew along part but don't like the disappointment at the end. So if I could just stop coming here and seeing the colors everyone is showing:D. Lisa, thanks for the explanation about color and value, etc.

gmac01 11-08-2017 03:43 PM

Thank you for the awesome explanation.
That is so helpful.

Windblown 11-08-2017 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Windblown (Post 7940339)
Thank you joe'smom. I going to be making this from solid color yardage. I'll have to put my thing cap on my colors are not her's either:rolleyes:

:o I meant to say thinking cap.