Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/ringo-lake-bonnie-hunter-mystery-quilt-2017-18-a-t292318.html)

NZquilter 11-08-2017 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Windblown (Post 7940319)
I have a question about ORL fabric choices. In most quilts you have Dark Medium Light and with Bonnie a neutral.
I see the Brown as the Dark but is the Medium coral or the turq blue color?

The way I see it, which may be totally off, is that the coral is a medium and the aqua is a light medium-- if that makes sense. Or that the coral is the "pop" of color in the quilt.

NZquilter 11-08-2017 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jaiade (Post 7940342)
I am very tempted to do this because I like the colors, BUT, I don't like to spend that much time and effort on Bonnie's mysteries and then don't like it(and they are labor intensive). Which is what happened with the last one I did of hers, grand illusion. I like the sew along part but don't like the disappointment at the end. So if I could just stop coming here and seeing the colors everyone is showing:D. Lisa, thanks for the explanation about color and value, etc.

If this helps, here are the clues I go off to see if a MQ will work for me. Firstly, the color with the most yardage will of course be the main color of the quilt; so if you hate aqua/turquoise, you might want to change the color. Then I look at how much yardage Bonnie calls for her neutrals, as that is the balancing fabric. In order for myself to join in a MQ, I have made it a "rule" for myself that the neutral fabric must have the highest yardage. With GI, if I'm not mistakened, didn't call for much neutral at all. I didn't do it because I was dubious of the yardage and colors. With "On Ringo Lake" Bonnie is saying over 5 yards of neutral, and all her other colors play together well on the color wheel too. I am thinking it will be a winner just based off these tips. And if I don't like it, I'll just give it away :D. Hopefully you join us!

Belfrybat 11-08-2017 06:02 PM

I renamed grand illusion to grand chaos. As far as I was concerned it was a complete disaster, and from the comments on the Facebook page many folks agreed. I sat the next one out and of course, loved the colours and design when finished. So I did the one last year and ended up really liking it once I changed the purple to blue. I like her colour choices this year and the fact there are only four colours. I would have gone with her pallet but didn't have enough aqua so subbed green. That messes up the colour wheel but the shade of green and the gold/coral fabric seem to play nicely together.

givio 11-08-2017 06:37 PM

NZquilter, excellent tips! Food for thought, there.

kristijoy 11-08-2017 08:10 PM

My fabric arrived today...but my DH whisked it away to wrap for my birthday!! Thankfully my birthday is tomorrow so I can finally enjoy it and take a picture for you all!!!:thumbup: :D

kristijoy 11-08-2017 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom (Post 7940334)
I thought the aqua and the coral looked just about the same when I turned the photos black and white. I would call them both mediums. This quilt has one color less than we have been getting with the last few mysteries. So I would say that the neutrals represent the light. If we have a unit that pairs aqua and neutral, or coral and neutral, we'll want to use lighter neutrals to maintain a good contrast if our aqua and coral are on the lighter side.

This is fabulous!

I always feel like i'm learning about 'value' as opposed to 'Saturation'. For example yellows always seems to be 'lower in value' even though they might be a saturated lemon yellow. There is LOTS of color but the value is 'light' rather than 'dark'!

I will definitely keep your comments in mind when creating units from scrappy fabrics.

NZquilter 11-08-2017 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by kristijoy (Post 7940520)
My fabric arrived today...but my DH whisked it away to wrap for my birthday!! Thankfully my birthday is tomorrow so I can finally enjoy it and take a picture for you all!!!:thumbup: :D

Happy Birthday, Kristi!!!

Windblown 11-09-2017 01:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My fabrics came today:D now for the choices. I chose grunge for the fabric, the first group is navy for brown and a gold for coral. The second group dark green for brown and a different gold for coral. the fabric underneath is a grunge beige for the nutural. Any comments are very helpful please chime in![ATTACH=CONFIG]583589[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]583590[/ATTACH] I think the color variations in the grunge will give the blocks movement. Hopefully

kristakz 11-09-2017 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Windblown (Post 7940872)
My fabrics came today:D now for the choices. I chose grunge for the fabric, the first group is navy for brown and a gold for coral. The second group dark green for brown and a different gold for coral. the fabric underneath is a grunge beige for the nutural. Any comments are very helpful please chime in![ATTACH=CONFIG]583589[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]583590[/ATTACH] I think the color variations in the grunge will give the blocks movement. Hopefully

Hi Windblown, I like your first set best. I'm not sure the green is dark enough for the contrast Bonnie wants from the chocolate brown. But what about the navy, but the gold from the other set? It's closer in tone to the aqua, which seems to me to be the way Bonnie was going.

Windblown 11-09-2017 01:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I had that choice up also just did not want to flood with photos. Like this [ATTACH=CONFIG]583591[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]583592[/ATTACH]
I think the lighting is bad right now