Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/ringo-lake-bonnie-hunter-mystery-quilt-2017-18-a-t292318.html)

Karamarie 11-04-2017 04:31 AM

Looks like fun fabrics. I'm going to pass this year on the mystery quilt. I'm going to pass on doing it this year as we will be moving into a townhome after the first of the year and I am trying to downsize my fabric and finish some UFOs. I also have none of the turquoise or coral colors and have very little neutrals left. I will be watching all your progress though. Have fun!

Belfrybat 11-04-2017 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Gagigi (Post 7937166)
I ordered the Simply Folded Corner ruler
today from Green Fairy. They have 23 left priced at $21.00 plus 3.95 shipping. Thanks for the heads up.

Amazon has them for $13.50 including Prime shipping. I just ordered one with CC points, so mine didn't cost anything out of pocket.

As to saving fabric, the video I watched showed the person also sewing the "waste" triangles together for perfect HSTs, so I think that is the fabric saving idea. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjD3AKiSyPw

Oops! ETA: The one I got was the Folded Corner Clipper from Prairie Sky, but it does the same thing and is much cheaper. I make snowball blocks, so this will also help with them.

Belfrybat 11-04-2017 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Bluebonnets (Post 7937162)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]583338[/ATTACH]
Here's a photo of the fabrics I'm thinking about. I like them so I will probably go with them, for better or worse.

Hmmm, now I'm rethinking about the corners ruler...

I really like the sage green you chose rather than the turquoise/aqua.

laurilli 11-04-2017 05:37 AM

Question on the rulers, I have never done a BH mystery (although I have made several of her designs) I see a lot of you are buying the rulers or maybe have something usable. Those of you that already have them, do they save enough time & frustration to pay for them selves? Are they something I will use over again or possibly a one time thing? I haven't found them at LQS to look at them to see how they work. Any thoughts on these questions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

joe'smom 11-04-2017 06:12 AM

laurilli, you might consider looking in the videos section of Bonnie's blog, where there are teaching videos for using the Easy Angle and Companion Angle ruler, so you can see them in use. I think these are well worth the money, because they make HSTs and hourglass blocks much quicker and easier, imo. I now use them whenever I need QSTs and larger HSTs (for smaller HSTs, I use the paper method).

(I assume the videos for these rulers are still on the blog; Bonnie has since made her own ruler that combines the functions of both of those, and she now teaches how to use that, rather than the other two.)

Belfrybat 11-04-2017 06:15 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I want to use stash, but my coral/melon is severely limited. I also like the green option shown above. So... with what I have on hand, these are two choices. Neither is ideal but I won't buy fabrics any more for any mystery quilt. Any advice would be appreciated.
ETA: The second pic shows the brown colour better, but it is the same fabric in each pic.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]583363[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]583362[/ATTACH]

AlvaStitcher 11-04-2017 06:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This will be my 4th mystery quilt. I have loved piecing each one although the previous 3 are not quilted yet. :eek:

Here are my fabrics. Any opinions given on deleting some of them would be considered. I do not know if I have enough of each of the colors.

I have been to Lowes 4 times now to get the paint sample cards. They have been out of 3 of them; aqua, brown and one of the neutrals. Keep promising me that the Valspar rep would be in to restock. Will try again next week. I don't know how closely the aquas/turquoise fabrics comes to the card.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]583368[/ATTACH] My coral pumpkin colors tend toward the pink.

laurilli 11-04-2017 06:43 AM

Thanks Joe'smom I went back to BH to look, went to videos but they are all black and would not let me click on them. I am sign up on her website but do I need to do something else to watch videos? As you can probability tell I am not really computer literate. LOL

tscweaves 11-04-2017 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Blue Bell (Post 7937389)
Awesome collection, tscweaves

Thank you. I have only been quilting since May of this year, so fabric colors & prints can be a bit challenging for me. I have been weaving for years, so picking yarns and weaving structures is no problem, but quilting is a whole new ballgame. It is just fascinating how the different fiber arts use colors, just so much to experiment with and so little time:-)

tscweaves 11-04-2017 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat (Post 7937498)

As to saving fabric, the video I watched showed the person also sewing the "waste" triangles together for perfect HSTs, so I think that is the fabric saving idea.

This is such a cool idea. Someone on another thread had mentioned doing this and I started to with the blocks that I was making for the New Quilting Bee 2017. I ended up using all those little HST for corner blocks in my sashing - worked really great. For a new quilter, I love tricks like this:-) Speaking of that top, I should get it quilted before this challenge starts! https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictur...a-t292065.html