Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/ringo-lake-bonnie-hunter-mystery-quilt-2017-18-a-t292318.html)

suz1 11-03-2017 11:17 AM

I also kept reading the bit where Bonnie says she saved time and fabric using the folded corner ruler so have ordered one. I hope I can use it in more than just this quilt as the postage cost the same again as the ruler, if not more!!

Going shopping with a friend today to choose our fabrics :)

Macybaby 11-03-2017 11:26 AM

You save fabric by using the essential triangle tool (or EZ angle) to cut the smaller pieces - you cut a strip and then use the tool to cut triangles that will line up with the square with the corner cut off.

I watched a video on the Folder Corner ruler, and was disappointing that they did not show the method that saves fabric .

NZquilter 11-03-2017 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by suz1 (Post 7937148)
I also kept reading the bit where Bonnie says she saved time and fabric using the folded corner ruler so have ordered one. I hope I can use it in more than just this quilt as the postage cost the same again as the ruler, if not more!!

Going shopping with a friend today to choose our fabrics :)

OH my! I'm sorry it cost you so much! I ordered mine from greenfairy quilting and it was about $19 with $4 shipping. Still expensive though, for a piece of plastic. Have fun shopping! I just ordered some vintage brown calicos from etsy:) Love calicos!

suz1 11-03-2017 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter (Post 7937154)
OH my! I'm sorry it cost you so much! I ordered mine from greenfairy quilting and it was about $19 with $4 shipping. Still expensive though, for a piece of plastic. Have fun shopping! I just ordered some vintage brown calicos from etsy:) Love calicos!

It's what you expect when you live down under lol :)

NZquilter 11-03-2017 11:31 AM

Maybe it only saves fabric in the theory that you don't have mistakes or wonky lines drawn with a pencil, thus ripping out work. I guess we will k ow the answer in about a month here!

NZquilter 11-03-2017 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by suz1 (Post 7937155)
It's what you expect when you live down under lol :)

That makes sense! Yep, I remember how much quilting stuff cost there. We are spoiled here in America.

Carol in WI 11-03-2017 11:35 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Thank you NZ Quilter for starting and managing this thread. I decided to jump in again this year, but don't plan to buy the ruler at this time. I watched Bonnie's demo video and didn't see where fabric was saved either. This will be my third mystery and the best part is right here on this thread - seeing everyone's fabric choices and especially the alternative choices, plus all the tips and techniques that are shared by all of your ladies (men). I did a smaller version of En Provence and it measured 68 x 87. I may have added more of the neutral border blocks. Here is a picture of it. And here are my fabric choices - of which I always appreciate your input and suggestions. It seems I have a hard time decided on values, warm/cool etc. The fabrics in the foreground are very questionable to me, but hopefully the ones in back will be ok. All suggestions are welcome.

Bluebonnets 11-03-2017 11:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]583338[/ATTACH]
Here's a photo of the fabrics I'm thinking about. I like them so I will probably go with them, for better or worse.

Hmmm, now I'm rethinking about the corners ruler...

Gagigi 11-03-2017 12:07 PM

I ordered the Simply Folded Corner ruler
today from Green Fairy. They have 23 left priced at $21.00 plus 3.95 shipping. Thanks for the heads up.

joe'smom 11-03-2017 12:09 PM

Carol, I like the textures in your foreground fabrics, except for that very dark background print in with the blues, which looks like it could a problem. Your foremost blue seems a bit dull for the rest of your fabrics, but mixed in in tiny amounts it might be fine.

Bluebonnets, those are gorgeous!