Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/ringo-lake-bonnie-hunter-mystery-quilt-2017-18-a-t292318.html)

NZquilter 12-13-2017 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by tscweaves (Post 7961866)
I am so impressed with how well so many of you dealt with clue #3. For me, it was extremely challenging, probably the most difficult unit for me to get right in my short quilting history. I set it aside and made a bunch of microwave cozies over the weekend. It was nice to sew something that was fun and pleasurable vs pulling my hair out:-) I finished up the third clue this morning. I do not want to get too far behind on the clues. What scares me is if I decide to go full size I will have to revisit these little beasties!]

Great work, Theresa! I knew you could do it! For a beginner quilter you are very bold taking on such a challenging MQ. Which method did you end up using?

Cheesehead 12-13-2017 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter (Post 7961942)
Hey Cheesehead, love your fabrics.....I have the flower print too, 3rd from the right. Jane

That was one of my favorite fabrics, now it's all gone. In fact I have very little of my corals left, I wonder if we will be using the aqua fabric again on Clue 4.

Jan

DogHouseMom 12-13-2017 01:08 PM

Is anyone using the Easy Angle ruler for the units in clue #3 (for the neutral corners)?

I'm working primarily from small scraps, not necessarily strips. So I am cutting each neutral corner individually ... at least until I run out of out of small scraps (frankly ... it may not happen during this mystery, but I'm determined to whittle down that scrap bucket!).

I've already cut and marked a bunch (less than half) of 2" squares when I remembered I have the Easy Angle ruler and I'm wondering if that will work for the neutral corners.

Pagzz 12-13-2017 01:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 7961966)
Is anyone using the Easy Angle ruler for the units in clue #3 (for the neutral corners)?

I'm working primarily from small scraps, not necessarily strips. So I am cutting each neutral corner individually ... at least until I run out of out of small scraps (frankly ... it may not happen during this mystery, but I'm determined to whittle down that scrap bucket!).

I've already cut and marked a bunch (less than half) of 2" squares when I remembered I have the Easy Angle ruler and I'm wondering if that will work for the neutral corners.

Yes. I am using the accuquilt to cut my triangle but it is the same as the easy angle piece. I like to attach it before I trim my rectangle...just seems to stay aligned for me.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]585302[/ATTACH]

sewbizgirl 12-13-2017 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 7961966)

Yep... I used it not only for the neutral corners, but also to make the center parallelograms. I started with 2" strips and cut them with the ruler. Worked great.

sewbizgirl 12-13-2017 02:47 PM

Nice clue 3's, Cheesehead and tscweaver.

KalamaQuilts 12-13-2017 03:36 PM

#3 finished. plus about a dozen I stitched backward.
I have less that a 1/2 yard of reds left. We will probably have some fun with blues next.

off to play with some more shirts fabrics for the next round on the reversed of Ringo

Kassaundra 12-13-2017 03:55 PM

I think the browns and neutrals will be next.

ILoveToQuilt 12-13-2017 04:04 PM

GramE: Found you on Pinterest. I am now following you, too. There is more than one pat edginton there and I assumed you are the one with quilt boards and not Duck Dynasty quotes? Hope this is okay with you.

DogHouseMom 12-13-2017 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 7962022)
Yep... I used it not only for the neutral corners, but also to make the center parallelograms. I started with 2" strips and cut them with the ruler. Worked great.

That would have bee cool! Unfortunately (for me) I already cut all of my 2X5 coral rectangles.

The good news is that I did a test block with tris cut from the Easy Angle and got a good unit!

Thanks all!!