Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/ringo-lake-bonnie-hunter-mystery-quilt-2017-18-a-t292318.html)

JeanieG 12-09-2017 12:37 PM

Hi everyone! I am done with Clue 1 and Clue 2. I am having a problem with Clue 3. When I cut a 2 x 5" piece, and add a side piece using my Corner Clipper Ruler at 2", I am coming out with a 2 x 4 1/2" piece, which makes sense since I am sewing 2 of the triangles onto the 2 x 5". According to Bonnie's instructions, each unit should be 2 x 5" before being sewn into the quilt. Where am I going wrong here??? Help!

Kassaundra 12-09-2017 12:40 PM

Possibly, 2 +2 = 3.5 so the zig sets could make some kind of star around the 9 patches??????

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 7959400)
OK, here's my wild guess... I think these clue 3 units will be used for the borders... maybe in a zig zag by alternating them? They are a different size than the other units which are 4.5", so they can't be sewn to them. What do you think? :confused:

Carol in WI 12-09-2017 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by JeanieG (Post 7959408)
Hi everyone! I am done with Clue 1 and Clue 2. I am having a problem with Clue 3. When I cut a 2 x 5" piece, and add a side piece using my Corner Clipper Ruler at 2", I am coming out with a 2 x 4 1/2" piece, which makes sense since I am sewing 2 of the triangles onto the 2 x 5". According to Bonnie's instructions, each unit should be 2 x 5" before being sewn into the quilt. Where am I going wrong here??? Help!

I wish I could help, but I have the same experience. All is on hold for me until I figure this out - with different fabrics.

Kassaundra 12-09-2017 01:00 PM

But if you are putting the square on the end and stitching diagonally then trimming excess you should end up w/ the same size as the original foundation rectangle (5 inches) since the top square when folded into position should meet the edge of the foundation. I have never had much success w/ that method personally, but mostly w/ distorted ends not w/ loosing the 1/2 inch length.

Pagzz 12-09-2017 01:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've not liked these units in previous quilts. I paper pieced them before but that is slow going for me. What is working for me. Cut 5 inch rectangle, add trimmed corner on full rectangle, sew, then trim rectangle. I have cut the neutral triangles with accuquilt die and they are starched. would be the same if cut with a ruler. I am also pressing seams open as I get distortion when I try to make some of the seams conform to the pressing instructions from Bonnie.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]585022[/ATTACH]

Sandra-P 12-09-2017 01:24 PM

Pagzz, what a great idea. I have never thought of doing them that way.

JeanieG 12-09-2017 01:59 PM

I get the correct size if I cut the orange rectangle to 5 1/2". Think I will go with that.

sewbizgirl 12-09-2017 02:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wish I could help you Jeannie, but I don't have that corners ruler to work with.

Here are my clue 3 units. So glad to be done for another week. I made 60 lefties and 60 righties. I did the first group the way Pagzz showed, but also found that pressing the way Bonnie said to was distorting them. So the second group I trimmed the center rectangle to the proper diamond shape by following the ruler marks that Cathy showed in her tute. Worked much better that way!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]585025[/ATTACH]

sewbizgirl 12-09-2017 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra (Post 7959410)
Possibly, 2 +2 = 3.5 so the zig sets could make some kind of star around the 9 patches??????

Ah... hadn't thought of that possibility!

AngeliaNR 12-09-2017 02:30 PM

Got mine sewn--still need to press and trim a few--I'll try to get a picture tomorrow.