Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/ringo-lake-bonnie-hunter-mystery-quilt-2017-18-a-t292318.html)

joe'smom 12-09-2017 09:10 AM

SuziSew, I have always loved the Grand Illusion palette. Those are lovely!

Christine, your units are looking wonderful!

Rob, I'm so sorry about your cut, on top of recovering from surgery.

My brain seems to be very feeble right now, and I can't make sense of these various methods for clue #3. I have everything cut, and am set to try the basic method. If that doesn't work out, I'll apply myself to understanding the others. Thanks Belfrybat and MacyBaby for posting the tutorials!

SuziSew 12-09-2017 09:30 AM

Cathy, thank you so much for the tips on cutting! I'm hoping to get some started later today and will reference back to your post when I do! :)

Carol in WI 12-09-2017 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra (Post 7958724)
Well I got out my trusty paper and pencil, drew out what I wanted on paper made myself a template for my ruler. Tried my sizes and shapes. Figured my shape placement for sewing and they turned out perfect. I have 4 made, all my pieces cut and now ready to chain sew. I am doing a no waste method, but there is a tiny, really tiny amount of trimming, but was going to have to do that for the dog ears anyway.

I have been taking pics of my way as I go. I got to thinking I might have enough fabric to do the full amount since she is doing a lot of waste and I have so far done no waste methods, so I wanted to be able to remind myself what I did after the reveal in case I can or want to do the full amount.

Kass, I am really interested in how you did yours as every method I've tried has some wonky ones. All the rulers in the world aren't enough:). So frustrating, but I am not going to quit unless it kills me first.

Bluebonnets 12-09-2017 09:51 AM

I'm enjoying seeing all the units coming together. Love the way the corals and aquas are looking together. Also loving the green nine patches. Kassaundra your arrangement is so neat and I love your fabric combo.

I am officially behind now. Maybe half of the FG done and just a small portion of clue 3. Was plugging along happily but was reminded I have company coming. Um, spotless house company coming. Uh oh. Lol. They may find out how we really are.

Kassaundra 12-09-2017 10:04 AM

I will post some pictures, but can't until tomorrow. I'm at work today and work for 24 hour shifts.

Originally Posted by Carol in WI (Post 7959314)
Kass, I am really interested in how you did yours as every method I've tried has some wonky ones. All the rulers in the world aren't enough:). So frustrating, but I am not going to quit unless it kills me first.

TheMerkleFamily 12-09-2017 10:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]585004[/ATTACH]
On to Clue #3... I figure I'm here to learn how to do things 'the Bonnie Hunter way' so I started with her method of cut/sewing and I'm glad to report so-far-so-good! Only 230 more to go... The good/bad of batiks on this clue: good there's no front/back but bad if I forget to count how many I'm making in each direction.

Happy Sewing to all!

givio 12-09-2017 11:34 AM

Belfrybat! There is a bit of waste cutting off the background triangles that way, and some might not like the bias edges-- but, wow! what a great idea for quick construction. Not so good an idea when the fabrics are scrappy, but very nice when the fabrics are constant. What I chose was constant. It's a lovely idea and thanks for sharing it! I hadn't thought of it myself. I don't do a lot of strip sewing, then cutting to units, or I might have.

I think BH should commend the creation of the idea, should acknowledge the FB poster, and add the idea as a footnote on her pattern (after asking permission, as there is such a concern with permissions). It was so kind of the FB poster to share, and also to give the method to her idea so people can figure out their own measurements after making the original pattern unit by a BH method. A very nice poster!

I don't read the FB group. Thanks for giving me this cool idea!

sewbizgirl 12-09-2017 11:48 AM

Ms. Merkle, I just love your fabrics... that orange with the nautilus shell on it is so cool! You must have a great source for batiks.

Kassaundra 12-09-2017 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by TheMerkleFamily (Post 7959349)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]585004[/ATTACH]
On to Clue #3... I figure I'm here to learn how to do things 'the Bonnie Hunter way' so I started with her method of cut/sewing and I'm glad to report so-far-so-good! Only 230 more to go... The good/bad of batiks on this clue: good there's no front/back but bad if I forget to count how many I'm making in each direction.

Happy Sewing to all!

Beautiful fabrics. My orange/red/purple whatever color is also a batik so I stacked mine in definite right and left stacks.

sewbizgirl 12-09-2017 12:18 PM

OK, here's my wild guess... I think these clue 3 units will be used for the borders... maybe in a zig zag by alternating them? They are a different size than the other units which are 4.5", so they can't be sewn to them. What do you think? :confused: