Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/ringo-lake-bonnie-hunter-mystery-quilt-2017-18-a-t292318.html)

KalamaQuilts 12-09-2017 02:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have clue three cut and squares marked, fully intended to do them the way Pagzz did hers in post 965 but after four efforts and only one perfect am falling back to covered corners.

Rob, don't rub your eye with your bandaged finger, even if it seems like a good idea at the time :)

I have never seen a batik quilt here that I didn't think was drop dead stunning. For some reason touching the fabric gives me the heebeegeebees. Silk fabric does too. Guess I'm a cheap date. I'm glad everyone shares their batik projects.
I have week three of the mystery reverse side up to date! I'm starting to like it.

Belfrybat 12-09-2017 03:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, by using the strip piecing method I'm rolling these babies out. I have 25 right leaning and 28 left leaning done in a bit over 2 hours. I figure I will not only get these all done but can get caught up on the FG by the end of the week. Which is a miracle for me as by the 3rd week I'm usually running way behind.
I'm guessing a zig zag border for these puppies.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]585028[/ATTACH]

TheMerkleFamily 12-09-2017 04:23 PM

Thank you :) Truth is I live 60+ miles from a true LQS and do most of my buying online.

I admire all of your fabric and work - so very pretty!

Christine

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 7959377)
Ms. Merkle, I just love your fabrics... that orange with the nautilus shell on it is so cool! You must have a great source for batiks.

tscweaves 12-09-2017 04:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just love what I am seeing and the inventiveness of quilters trying to find the best way to make these little beasties:-) I just had to take a day away from it and started on a bunch of microwave cozies for Christmas gifts. I am making them out of quilt blocks, so I think they will be kind of cute when they are done. Here is the start:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]585040[/ATTACH]

No sun today so the picture is not very bright. These are going together so much better than yesterdays units! LOL

Kassaundra 12-09-2017 05:50 PM

Looking good. I worked on the back side of the mystery today too. I started cutting the strips of fabric (8) the width of the sheet.

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts (Post 7959456)
I have clue three cut and squares marked, fully intended to do them the way Pagzz did hers in post 965 but after four efforts and only one perfect am falling back to covered corners.

Rob, don't rub your eye with your bandaged finger, even if it seems like a good idea at the time :)

I have never seen a batik quilt here that I didn't think was drop dead stunning. For some reason touching the fabric gives me the heebeegeebees. Silk fabric does too. Guess I'm a cheap date. I'm glad everyone shares their batik projects.
I have week three of the mystery reverse side up to date! I'm starting to like it.

Carol in WI 12-09-2017 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat (Post 7959479)
Well, by using the strip piecing method I'm rolling these babies out. I have 25 right leaning and 28 left leaning done in a bit over 2 hours. I figure I will not only get these all done but can get caught up on the FG by the end of the week. Which is a miracle for me as by the 3rd week I'm usually running way behind.
I'm guessing a zig zag border for these puppies.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]585028[/ATTACH]

Belfrybat - thank you for figuring out the dimensions for this method. I tried a short segment and they came out perfect. Did you press your seams open or as Bonnie stated? Your group looks beautiful!!

Kassaundra 12-09-2017 07:49 PM

Sewbiz, did you see the picture on FB of the lady's 3 clues laid out w/ the clue three in the position I was talking about? Even if no where near the real layout it was good enough to consider for future projects.

Belfrybat 12-09-2017 07:50 PM

Thank you. I pressed the seams in one direction as Bonnie stated. I figured out by the third set that it doesn't matter whether I pressed up or down as long as both seams went in the same direction. These units can be turned 180 degrees and they are oriented the same direction.

I watched a couple of movies this evening and finished 60+ of each unit. So I'm done with these and just need to finish 18 FG to be done with them.

Tweety2911 12-09-2017 08:02 PM

Thank you all so much for posting your pictures and tips for clue 3. I hope to get mine started tomorrow and know I will be back here rereading your ideas
Kalama I am loving your quilt. And Rob, listen to Kalama :)

NZquilter 12-09-2017 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra (Post 7959659)
Sewbiz, did you see the picture on FB of the lady's 3 clues laid out w/ the clue three in the position I was talking about? Even if no where near the real layout it was good enough to consider for future projects.

I saw that too, Kass. It is fun to see future quilts when the units are laid out. I'm thinking I might use this clue as a border on a quilt one day.

After completing clue 3, we have made 1,770 tiny pieces already!