Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/ringo-lake-bonnie-hunter-mystery-quilt-2017-18-a-t292318.html)

Sandra-P 01-11-2018 10:37 AM

Some beautiful blocks and tops! I love seeing all of them and this has been a real journey with everyone on here. So many talented people.

JeanieG 01-11-2018 10:47 AM

Congratulations Jane Quilter on getting all your blocks done, they look great! Hopefully I will find time to finish Clue 7 today, and start putting my blocks together!

Macybaby 01-11-2018 11:11 AM

Sue - I asked because many commented about loving the "oval" shape that was appearing, and it won't be that way if you use all 45 degree angles. When I first saw your design, I really wished I had not already cut all my "chevrons" or I would have changed them all to 60/30 degree angle cuts instead of the 45/45 that Bonnie had us do.

DogHouseMom 01-11-2018 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby (Post 7981026)
Sue - I asked because many commented about loving the "oval" shape that was appearing, and it won't be that way if you use all 45 degree angles. When I first saw your design, I really wished I had not already cut all my "chevrons" or I would have changed them all to 60/30 degree angle cuts instead of the 45/45 that Bonnie had us do.

Macy ... when I get home I'll look at the angle and re-do and reprint if necessary.

sewbizgirl 01-11-2018 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by laurilli (Post 7981001)
As I have said everyone's quilts are turning out beautiful. Peggy your lavender & teal shades are gorgeous and SBG your border is going to be amazing. I printed out MMMQ pattern, but how did you figure out how much to change the size of the blocks? That must have taken a lot of thought.

The units in the quilt are all 3.5" squares, so I thought 3.5" squares in the border would work. Not too much thought!

sewbizgirl 01-11-2018 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by laurilli (Post 7981001)
As I have said everyone's quilts are turning out beautiful. Peggy your lavender & teal shades are gorgeous and SBG your border is going to be amazing. I printed out MMMQ pattern, but how did you figure out how much to change the size of the blocks? That must have taken a lot of thought.

The units in the quilt are all 3.5" squares, so I thought 3.5" squares in the border would work. Not too much thought!

Carol in WI 01-11-2018 03:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
What do you think? Like so many others, I have not been fond of how much peach/orange was in the quilt top, but is this going a bit overboard by adding another color? At first I liked the secondary block, but I'm having trouble making a decision. Any advice is welcomed.

rryder 01-11-2018 03:41 PM

Cool layout Sue!
Jane- your blocks are gorgeous. Congratulations on getting them all done!

Carol- I keep going back and forth on it...What would happen if you turned your flying geese so the brown point was closer the blue 9 patches?

I managed to get another 12 done today, so I now have 25 completed blocks. No sewing tomorrow--it's a barn day. Maybe Saturday I can make some more progress... Still not sure what I'm going to do for layout...

Rob

DogHouseMom 01-11-2018 04:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 7981052)
Macy ... when I get home I'll look at the angle and re-do and reprint if necessary.

Revised below. Thanks for pointing that out Macy. My angle was correct, but the block size in block design was wrong, so when I plugged in a 1.5 X 9 block into a layout that called for a 2 x 9.5 block ... it distorted the angle.

and you were right. Unfortunately I lost some of the "oval star" that I so liked, but I retained a good deal of the secondary pattern I was looking for.

drat ... If only I hadn't made the chevrons I could have made them at the wrong angle :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]586909[/ATTACH]

Carol in WI 01-11-2018 05:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Carol- I keep going back and forth on it...What would happen if you turned your flying geese so the brown point was closer the blue 9 patches?

Thanks Rob, that helps to define the inner block better. I'm not so sure about that solid brown sash though - it may need to be broken up some like Bonnie's original sashing.