Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/ringo-lake-bonnie-hunter-mystery-quilt-2017-18-a-t292318.html)

NZquilter 01-16-2018 10:19 AM

I don't know how, but I'm not having any bulk in mine.... This has never happened to me before... Now in En Provence... That was a different story!

I've been working on other quilts for the past week, but seeing everyone's new finishes makes me want to get going on mine again!

quiltsRfun 01-16-2018 11:04 AM

I have 45 of 50 blocks done, one OOPS to correct, and a few units to complete where I miscounted the total for their step. I’m going to do one-color setting triangles, all the same dark blue. It will probably require a trip to the fabric store. I’m determined to get this top put together before I move on to my other projects. There are many patiently waiting in line.

Windblown 01-16-2018 11:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Turtle update, partly done I can tell now that my choice for the melon replacement was too light. a darker green would have been much better. While I love jigsaw puzzles, I know that I dislike lumpy one for sure. Hammer time.:)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]587177[/ATTACH]
I will call this one Lillys on ringo lake.

Sync 01-16-2018 11:53 AM

Kasey, your Lillys On Ringo Lake looks great. Personally, I do not think that the green is to light.

sewbizgirl 01-16-2018 12:34 PM

Lillies on Ringo Lake looks great! Love the constant nearly-solids to show off the pattern to the max. I think the lighter green is a great contrast to the navy blue. Winner!

Kassaundra 01-16-2018 12:37 PM

Great job finishing, I'm still in the turtle brigade. This one looks very southwesty.

Originally Posted by Cheesehead (Post 7983381)
Here is my finished version of the mystery quilt. I didn't care for the parallel units and omitted them, hopefully I will find a use for them in another project. The finish is simple but I am satisfied with it.[ATTACH=CONFIG]587119[/ATTACH]

Kassaundra 01-16-2018 12:39 PM

Very nice, your colors really work well together.

Originally Posted by AmyBible (Post 7983626)
Cheesehead - your straight layout looks great!
Joe's Mom - Each layout you've tried looks good in different ways. I am zero help making decisions - it took me forever to decide how to finish.

In the end I went with Bonnie's layout but instead of piecing the setting triangles I used a constant fabric and cut 5" strips (then just used a ruler w/a 45º angle so I could sew the pieced brown unit). I am still planning to do some version of Ringo Lake in citrus color solids but will definitely de-lumpify some of the units.

I kind of wish I would have finished like this one I saw on FB but didn't see it until I was well under way. (hopefully the link will work)
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1212211322244140&set=gm.10329371335 22254&type=3&theater&ifg=1

A weekend spent sewing and pressing twisted, lumpy seams into submission, my top is finished and I am glad. I hope to have it quilted by next weekend so I can start something with very large pieces.
I would *love* to see the back of one of Bonnie's quilts. Mine back is a hot mess; I know no one sees it but lumps like this that make me want to use a poly batting to absorb the lumpiness.

I like the Mystery process - picking fabrics, trying to solve the mystery layout before the reveal, and especially seeing everyone's versions - so much creative cleverness.
This is the 3rd year I've done her mystery and, for some reason this one wore me out. ;)
I don't remember En Provence or Allietare having so many seams fighting each other. I might change my mind in November but I am thinking of sitting the next one out. I will probably download all the Clues though - just in case.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]587142[/ATTACH]

Kassaundra 01-16-2018 12:42 PM

I really like your addition of the green triangles to finish that square. Great color choices, a Christmas feel when you want it, but not overtly Christmas so you don't have to feel bad using it at other times.

Originally Posted by kristakz (Post 7983820)
I have finished my 1st top "Christmas on Ringo Lake". This one is almost Bonnie's design - I just added the green triangles in the setting triangle pieces. I really wanted those green boxes to be finished.

The quilt uses 32 blocks - the other 18 will go into a charity project with a different setting.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]587156[/ATTACH]

Kassaundra 01-16-2018 12:43 PM

I really love this green / navy / white, looks so crisp and cool, peaceful.

Originally Posted by Windblown (Post 7984153)
Turtle update, partly done I can tell now that my choice for the melon replacement was too light. a darker green would have been much better. While I love jigsaw puzzles, I know that I dislike lumpy one for sure. Hammer time.:)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]587177[/ATTACH]

rryder 01-16-2018 12:46 PM

I think that green looks great with the blue!

Rob

Originally Posted by Windblown (Post 7984153)